If Joint LLM/Econ is offered, Can I expect JD/Econ too? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
3|ink

Platinum

If Joint LLM/Econ is offered, Can I expect JD/Econ too?

Post by 3|ink » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 am

Before I call the school in question, I want to see if this is a stupid question. I'm looking for a joint JD/Econ degree, but the school I'm most interested in only advertises a joint LLM/Econ degree. Is it reasonable to believe they'd accommodate for a JD/Econ degree as well? I mean, come on. Who gets an LLM these days anyway? You can't even practice with an LLM, right?

nealric

Re: If Joint LLM/Econ is offered, Can I expect JD/Econ too?

Post by nealric » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 am

Maybe, but you probably shouldn't do a JD/Econ either. Just call them.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 am

nealric wrote:Maybe, but you probably shouldn't do a JD/Econ either.
Why?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 am

I rescind my question. I was under the false opinion that an LLM was something between a certified paralegal degree and a JD. This is how Wikipedia describes it. Apparently, it is a degree you pursue after law school focusing on a particular area of the law.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 am

Maybe, but you probably shouldn't do a JD/Econ either.
Because there vanishingly few jobs that actually involve both. Law professor specializing in law and econ are about it. Unless the school is Yale, don't count on the law professor thing.

My perception of most joint degree people is that they REALLY want to do the secondary degree, and the JD is being used as window dressing. Window dressing is not worth $150k. You may be the exception, but that's what I've mostly observed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 am

nealric wrote:
Maybe, but you probably shouldn't do a JD/Econ either.
Because there vanishingly few jobs that actually involve both. Law professor specializing in law and econ are about it. Unless the school is Yale, don't count on the law professor thing.
Ah. I see. I'm actually looking for a job at the FED or SEC out of law school. I thought an econ degree would be appropriate. Moreover, I know people with Joint JD/Econ degrees who bill $1,000.00 hourly to predict future liability. I would think that insurance companies would be jumping all over these guys.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:59 am

Moreover, I know people with Joint JD/Econ degrees who bill $1,000.00 hourly to predict future liability. I would think that insurance companies would be jumping all over these guys.
You can do the same thing with just an Econ Phd. Most of those guys are econ profs or run econ consulting firms. Some dood right out of phd doesn't have enough clout to be a believable expert witness.
Ah. I see. I'm actually looking for a job at the FED or SEC out of law school.
You don't need an Econ Phd for that. They are either going to hire you to do law or econ, but no both.
Last edited by nealric on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm almost positive the school you are thinking about has a JD PhD. I think going that route you should get you PhD and then apply to law school. It would be a really good soft and might get you in better law schools or money at peer schools. Plus if you got a job in the Fed or FEC you would most likley be doing legal work not econ work (maybe it would be helpful one day if you were promoted high enough).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”