Thoughts on Quinnipiac Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
waitlisted1

Thoughts on Quinnipiac Law School?

Postby waitlisted1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 pm

what do you all think of Quinnipiac Law School in Connecticut?

Knock

Re: Thoughts on Quinnipiac Law School?

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:47 pm

waitlisted1 wrote:what do you all think of Quinnipiac Law School in Connecticut?

I had to look it up. It appears to be a T3 school, which generally means you will be limited to the region for practicing, and that it is probably unwise to attend unless you receive significant money from them. Again these are just rules of thumb, and aren't all-encompassing by any means.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I know there are oft cited polls done by Quinnipiac...

In all seriousness, what was echoed above is the general consensus. Dont go unless youre offered a significant amount of money and are comfortable working in that immediate city/region.

Good luck!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 pm

UConn is a much better bet.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:05 am

Knockglock wrote:
waitlisted1 wrote:what do you all think of Quinnipiac Law School in Connecticut?

I had to look it up. It appears to be a T3 school, which generally means you will be limited to the region for practicing, and that it is probably unwise to attend unless you receive significant money from them. Again these are just rules of thumb, and aren't all-encompassing by any means.

I don't follow this logic...If you go to a non-T3 at sticker in a particular region and get a job outside of said region is the money (compensation at new job) "greener" or less impacted by inflation in the "new" region than where the school is located

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:17 am

GATORTIM wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I don't follow this logic...If you go to a non-T3 at sticker in a particular region and get a job outside of said region is the money (compensation at new job) "greener" or less impacted by inflation in the "new" region than where the school is located

What?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:27 am

Quinnipiac is a good university in general, although it is a third tier law school- one of 3 in a very small state, which is in a very law school crowded region. I hear positive things about their alumni base though, and law firms here in ct certainly have plenty of Quinn grads employed. Basically it is a very typical 3rd tier school, meaning the education you would receive there is more or less the same as any other law school, but the employment prospects are likely on the worse end of the spectrum.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:37 am

GATORTIM wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

The idea is that at a T1 school, and a T14 in particular, you would conceivably have the option to choose another location to search for your first job. For instance, if you're at Yale and you want to work in sunny California right after you graduate, it's definitely doable. If you're at Quinnipiac and you want that same job in LA, you're probably going to have a pretty tough time getting anyone's attention.

Still, I think whether certain schools are "regional" gets a little too much consideration on TLS, especially because outside of the top 25 or so, every law school is basically regional. Solution: If you want to practice in LA, apply to schools in LA. :)

acadec

Postby acadec » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:44 pm

none.

odoylerules

Postby odoylerules » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 am

http://www.thekoreanlawblog.com/2007/10 ... ional.html

this guy went to quinnipiac and he seems like a baller.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:32 am

GATORTIM wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

The problem with a T3 is that there usually isn't as much money available. That being said, region is emphasized because many applicants think they can go to a T3 law school in New York and practice in Seattle. Bad move. So if you are versed in which schools employ in which regions, then region isn't as much of a shocker. Just pick which region you want to practice in (if you can't make a national school) and go to school there. But if you don't know about regionalism of schools, then you might screw yourself.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:46 am

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 am

philosoraptor wrote:Image

Quinnipiac is in Hamden. Toad's in in New Haven. I think there might be another law school somewhere that is closer to Toad's...

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Quinnipiac is in Hamden. Toad's in in New Haven. I think there might be another law school somewhere that is closer to Toad's...
You've never heard that Q-pac often sends buses full of, how you say, loose undergraduate women to Toad's? It's what they're best known for in the Have.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Quinnipiac is in Hamden. Toad's in in New Haven. I think there might be another law school somewhere that is closer to Toad's...
You've never heard that Q-pac often sends buses full of, how you say, loose undergraduate women to Toad's? It's what they're best known for in the Have.

Admittedly I am not a New Haven guy. Hartford FTW!! (and by that I mean DAMN I wish I lived in New Haven!)

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:38 pm

The Cooley of Connecticut.

Return to “Law School FAQ”