Adderall in Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pelmen74

Bronze

Re: Adderall in Law School

Post by pelmen74 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:20 pm

itsfine wrote:Taking adderall isnt any more cheating than drinking coffee. Stop bitching
Except that adderall is exponentially stronger and not freely available (not to mention that is is addictive and has tons of negative side effects). Maybe if it was sold in the local 7/11 ppl would not bitch. But since you have to use illegal methods to obtain it then it is cheating because you cannot expect all your peers to break the law (and risk disbarment when they are caught snorting adderall in the office bathroom) in order to keep up with you. If addi was legal, everyone would have to do it in order to keep up with their peers (think steroids...you can't expect all players to risk their health and careers in order to keep up with Bonds who is sticking needles in his ass) and we would all turn into psycho crack heads (yes, adderall turns you into a crack head). You can't expect people to risk their health for the sake of additional productivity just because some of us are too lazy or lack the proper motivation to study without pills.

Shit, I could have scored 4 points better on my LSAT had I taken addi and not misread a LG promt. But the point of these tests is to test your ability to work fast, concentrate under pressure, etc.. Basically, if you need addi to study in law school, you will have inflated grades and you will need to take addi to keep up at your BigLaw firm - you will not be able to function/work without it. DO YOU WANT TO BE A CRACKHEAD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!1111!! Yea, you get my point.
Last edited by pelmen74 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:21 pm

nickwar wrote:Coffee isn't illegal without a prescription -- as you said.
His point is that we're all sheeple who shouldn't care whether or not something is illegal, C&F be damned, don't let the man hold you down, hail Ayn Rand, etc.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:23 pm

clintonius wrote:
nickwar wrote:Coffee isn't illegal without a prescription -- as you said.
His point is that we're all sheeple who shouldn't care whether or not something is illegal, C&F be damned, don't let the man hold you down, hail Ayn Rand, etc.

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:25 pm

"specifically describe how caffeine is different."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall#Adverse_effects
Adderall is dangerous and can lead to death from sudden stroke. You can't expect everyone to put their health in danger/ risk addiction. Coffee, on the other hand, is quite safe.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 pm

clseller wrote:too much adderall and you will end up like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI
Would not be surprised if that guy posts on TLS...most likely in BP :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:32 pm

pelmen74 wrote:"specifically describe how caffeine is different."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall#Adverse_effects
Adderall is dangerous and can lead to death from sudden stroke. You can't expect everyone to put their health in danger/ risk addiction. Coffee, on the other hand, is quite safe.
You do know that caffeine is addictive and has lots and lots of side effects right?

Both are powerful drugs. Is Adderall more dangerous than Coffee? Yes. By a wide margin? Not really, no.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:36 pm

adderall is I guess technically more dangerous in a comparative sense (though you'd have to take a lottt of adderall to endanger yourself), but coffee is clinically known to be more addictive. at least thats what my doctor who's a psychiatry prof at Harvard Med said...

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Jaggerbombs.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm blown away that this is even an argument. Come on now guys, seriously...prescription drugs to improve academic performance =

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:49 pm

And now people start arguing Adderall is somehow only marginally less safe than coffee. :roll:

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:26 pm

pelmen74 wrote: DO YOU WANT TO BE A CRACKHEAD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!1111!! Yea, you get my point.
YES!!!!! I think I got it........ Well, maybe not. Could you go over it one more time? I feel I'm sooooo close to getting your point, but I'm just not quite there.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:27 pm

pelmen74 wrote:
itsfine wrote:Taking adderall isnt any more cheating than drinking coffee. Stop bitching
Except that adderall is exponentially stronger and not freely available (not to mention that is is addictive and has tons of negative side effects). Maybe if it was sold in the local 7/11 ppl would not bitch. But since you have to use illegal methods to obtain it then it is cheating because you cannot expect all your peers to break the law (and risk disbarment when they are caught snorting adderall in the office bathroom) in order to keep up with you. If addi was legal, everyone would have to do it in order to keep up with their peers (think steroids...you can't expect all players to risk their health and careers in order to keep up with Bonds who is sticking needles in his ass) and we would all turn into psycho crack heads (yes, adderall turns you into a crack head). You can't expect people to risk their health for the sake of additional productivity just because some of us are too lazy or lack the proper motivation to study without pills.

Shit, I could have scored 4 points better on my LSAT had I taken addi and not misread a LG promt. But the point of these tests is to test your ability to work fast, concentrate under pressure, etc.. Basically, if you need addi to study in law school, you will have inflated grades and you will need to take addi to keep up at your BigLaw firm - you will not be able to function/work without it. DO YOU WANT TO BE A CRACKHEAD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!1111!! Yea, you get my point.
Are you sure you werent on addy when you wrote this?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Hey, lets all start to take steroids while we're at it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:44 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Hey, lets all start to take steroids while we're at it.
I already have quite a "to do" list going. If I can squeeze them in great, if not, I'll see how I'm doing 2-3 weeks into the semester.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:59 pm

beaniew wrote:Many people at my school used adderall on a regular basis. None of those I knew did very well. Most of them just got all cracked out on it and spun their wheels to no end. I never used it, and I never intend to. I ranked in the top 2%. My friends who got all zooted on that stuff ended up talking way to fast, focusing for hours on really minor points, printing off thousands of cases from lexis nexis and never reading them, listening to stupid supplement tapes at 4 am, etc. All the while, I remained calm and calculated. That mindset allowed me to "dominate."
Haha... nice post. That would probably be me. I also think the people in this thread against it's use are making it out to be way more helpful than it really is. Careful, you might actually convince people to start using it in LS :lol:

ArthurEdens

New

Post by ArthurEdens » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Barring legitimate ADHD cases (which are rare), doping with Adderall is cheating. To take Adderall is tantamount to saying "I know that I can't hack it on my own, so I'll get a boost using drugs." It is a clear ethics violation and is pathetic. You can rationalize it all you want. It is pathetic any way you slice it.

That being said, I get that much more satisfaction when I outscore those of you who use it. When it comes time to actually practice the law, I'll also enjoy running circles around you. Bunch of dummies. Kudos to those of us ethical and intelligent enough to get by using our natural abilities.

I won't be sticking around to read replies. I just wanted to hop onto this thread to voice my opinion of how loathsome you cheaters are.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:15 pm

ArthurEdens wrote:Barring legitimate ADHD cases (which are rare), doping with Adderall is cheating. To take Adderall is tantamount to saying "I know that I can't hack it on my own, so I'll get a boost using drugs." It is a clear ethics violation and is pathetic. You can rationalize it all you want. It is pathetic any way you slice it.

That being said, I get that much more satisfaction when I outscore those of you who use it. When it comes time to actually practice the law, I'll also enjoy running circles around you. Bunch of dummies. Kudos to those of us ethical and intelligent enough to get by using our natural abilities.

I won't be sticking around to read replies. I just wanted to hop onto this thread to voice my opinion of how loathsome you cheaters are.
Sounds a lot like using steroids to me!

So, who's up to it?

I'll throw in some coke. Now there's a drug that'll enhance you in every way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:16 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
ArthurEdens wrote:Barring legitimate ADHD cases (which are rare), doping with Adderall is cheating. To take Adderall is tantamount to saying "I know that I can't hack it on my own, so I'll get a boost using drugs." It is a clear ethics violation and is pathetic. You can rationalize it all you want. It is pathetic any way you slice it.

I'll throw in some coke. Now there's a drug that'll enhance you in every way.
Fuck my "to do" list. I'll make time for that.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:41 pm

[quote="ArthurEdens"]Barring legitimate ADHD cases (which are rare), doping with Adderall is cheating.

is that so, Dr. Edens? not going to argue against there being some (degree unknown) abuse of both ADD med prescriptions (and) diagnoses, but I doubt you are qualified to make such a bold statement that legitimate adhd cases are a rarity. know what you know...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm

If you believe taking a mind-altering prescription drug for the sake of law school success is a good idea, you are in another world of common sense, and should rethink your choice of career, as the stress of the profession is probably going to own you.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Nikrall wrote:If the only justification for condemning adderall use is based on its illegality, then it seems like it is the case that If illegal then bad is an assumed premise. Show me the difference between caffeine and adderall thats not based on legality, and then maybe you can make the argument for shades of grey in the legal sense. But as long as people are basing their condemnation on illegality alone...yeah, its pretty black and white.

Nobody is arguing that the legality is important, and solely important. What every argument against adderall has hinged upon is its legality and everyone has cited legality as a reason to specifically be against it. Nobody seems to have a problem with using drugs as study aids...but its somehow completely different when its illegal drugs. And you want to tell me that legality somehow isn't the sole thing people are basing the argument on?
The argument that adderall is unethical certainly hinges on its illegality, but that's not the whole story. Adderall is illegal (unprescribed) and it is a substance that presumably enhances performance in law school. Using an illegal substance to gain an advantage in a competition is cheating. Law school is a competition (someone's gain is another's loss due to the curve). Cheating is unethical.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 pm

r2b2ct wrote:
Nikrall wrote:If the only justification for condemning adderall use is based on its illegality, then it seems like it is the case that If illegal then bad is an assumed premise. Show me the difference between caffeine and adderall thats not based on legality, and then maybe you can make the argument for shades of grey in the legal sense. But as long as people are basing their condemnation on illegality alone...yeah, its pretty black and white.

Nobody is arguing that the legality is important, and solely important. What every argument against adderall has hinged upon is its legality and everyone has cited legality as a reason to specifically be against it. Nobody seems to have a problem with using drugs as study aids...but its somehow completely different when its illegal drugs. And you want to tell me that legality somehow isn't the sole thing people are basing the argument on?
The argument that adderall is unethical certainly hinges on its illegality, but that's not the whole story. Adderall is illegal (unprescribed) and it is a substance that presumably enhances performance in law school. Using an illegal substance to gain an advantage in a competition is cheating. Law school is a competition (someone's gain is another's loss due to the curve). Cheating is unethical.
But using a legal substance that presumably enhances performance in law school is ok....so the illegality IS the whole story.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 pm

If you'll do better anyway, stop bitching and whining about how its cheating.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Nikrall wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:

But using a legal substance that presumably enhances performance in law school is ok....so the illegality IS the whole story.
It's the difference between caffeine and adderall, but that doesn't mean that all illegal activities are necessarily unethical or that illegal and unethical are equivalent.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Nikrall wrote:

If you'll do better anyway, stop bitching and whining about how its cheating.
If I saw a classmate popping pills I knew they were not prescribed, I would give them mass amounts of shit. Not because it's cheating, which it is, but because it's stupid, potentially harmful to their health, and because I don't want my law school to be an environment where people think that sort of behavior/gunning will be tolerated.

Edit: also an incorrect assessment of the pill-popper's life priorities.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”