Do law schools ever... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
primusux

Bronze

Do law schools ever...

Post by primusux » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am

Cover the full (or large portion of the) cost of living as part of their offers of admission to candidates they really want to attend?

I've never heard of something like that but was wondering last night if it existed.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Do law schools ever...

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:59 am

primusux wrote:Cover the full (or large portion of the) cost of living as part of their offers of admission to candidates they really want to attend?

I've never heard of something like that but was wondering last night if it existed.
Yes, some offer full tuition and a living stipend. I doubt you'd be able to go for completely free, but you could go for pretty darn close. Chicago-Kent has a full ride + 10k stipend that I know about, but I've never heard of anything like this at a Tier 1. If someone else has, please chime in.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
primusux wrote:Cover the full (or large portion of the) cost of living as part of their offers of admission to candidates they really want to attend?

Yes, some offer full tuition and a living stipend. I doubt you'd be able to go for completely free, but you could go for pretty darn close. Chicago-Kent has a full ride + 10k stipend that I know about, but I've never heard of anything like this at a Tier 1. If someone else has, please chime in.

If you are accepted ED at GW, it is a full ride plus stipend, I believe.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 am

Yeah - look on lawschoolnumbers.com. It shows the % that provide full scholly + stipend. It always relatively small, if existent.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 am

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Ah yeah I forgot about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 am

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes, I remember reading about that in one of the brochures they sent me back in the day. I was tempted for a while, but I thought better of it.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 am

Berkeley also offers a Full tuition + 10k one-time stipend.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 am

smov_operator wrote:Berkeley also offers a Full tuition + 10k one-time stipend.
With their tuition and cost of living, that's valued at a little over a million dollars!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:26 am

It's very difficult to qualify for GW. I think only about 26 or 27 people get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 pm

kalvano wrote:It's very difficult to qualify for GW. I think only about 26 or 27 people get it.
GW also has a non-binding scholarship which is something on the order of 30k a year + first year housing free, or something like that.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:03 pm

The Woodruff scholarship at Emory gives out full + stipend. Vandy gives out a couple too.

estevanrey

New

Post by estevanrey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Tulsa gives out a living stipend with ever scholarship

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's very difficult to qualify for GW. I think only about 26 or 27 people get it.
GW also has a non-binding scholarship which is something on the order of 30k a year + first year housing free, or something like that.
That's the ED scholarship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
no, there's a non-binding (thus non-ED) one too

also, someone on these forums was offered a full cost of attendance (includes living) scholarship from UMinn this last cycle

edit: here they are http://lawschoolnumbers.com/itsirtou
Last edited by lawduder on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Mercer does. :wink:

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Phoenix offered me a BMW :lol: :lol: :lol:

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
ED scholarship is full tuition; this other scholarship is only 30k a year (which is less than the full bill) plus a year of housing. It was offered to some people who were deferred from ED and therefore did not get the full ride but were close enough to those stats and offered this instead, as well as some who simply applied RD (that's my recollection at least). Search the "choosing a school" subforum and you'll find a few people mulling over the GW with 105K scholarship v. T14 at sticker, something they wouldn't have the option to do if they were only offered the deal as part of the binding ED program.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize they did that.

mvp

New

Post by mvp » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Cardozo offered me full plus stipend. (Although I guess they're not tier 1 anymore...)

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”