How are you moving? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

How are you moving?

U-haul and a bunch of buddies (aka free labor!)
46%
PODS type portable moving service
5%
Professional movers
6%
Trashing everything and starting over
25%
Forget moving my junk I'm selling it all on Craigslist/Ebay!
10%
Telekinesis of course!
8%

Total votes: 172

dr123

Gold

Re: How are you moving?

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:18 am

Eh, Ive yet to buy a new mattress in my life and its worked out alright. There are different degrees of thrift stores, your mom and pop place is usually kind of sketch but places like Salvation Army and Goodwill are fine

ETA: Ninja delete!@!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 am

Bed bugs have an affinity for wood and fabric more so than metal or plastic...Nightstands and dressers should be emptied and examined inside and out, then tipped over to inspect the woodwork underneath. Oftentimes the bugs will be hiding in cracks, corners, and recesses. Other common places to find bed bugs include: along and under the edge of wall-to-wall carpeting (especially behind beds and furniture); cracks in wood molding; ceiling-wall junctures; behind wall-mounted picture frames, mirrors, switch plates and outlets; under loose wallpaper; amongst clothing and clutter stored in closets; and inside clocks, phones, televisions and smoke detectors.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 am

dr123, I'm assuming you're referring to the post I deleted, but that's just one thing I wouldn't skimp on (unless it was from a family friend or something I guess). But I'm also pretty picky. :D

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:20 am

I used a bonded moving company. But then again, I worked, so I had some money. It was a 200 mile move and only cost $600, and the movers were cool as hell. It's easy to convince friends to help with an intown move, but it's kinda tacky to ask them to waste a whole day and gas without doling out some cash.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Bed bugs have an affinity for wood and fabric more so than metal or plastic...Nightstands and dressers should be emptied and examined inside and out, then tipped over to inspect the woodwork underneath. Oftentimes the bugs will be hiding in cracks, corners, and recesses. Other common places to find bed bugs include: along and under the edge of wall-to-wall carpeting (especially behind beds and furniture); cracks in wood molding; ceiling-wall junctures; behind wall-mounted picture frames, mirrors, switch plates and outlets; under loose wallpaper; amongst clothing and clutter stored in closets; and inside clocks, phones, televisions and smoke detectors.
oh god, you have no idea how paranoid that post just made me. Im guessing Id know if I had bed bugs. At least, thats what Im hoping.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 am

Ty Webb wrote:People who need help moving are either weak or women.
One in the same, no? :?

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:34 am

dr123 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
oh god, you have no idea how paranoid that post just made me. Im guessing Id know if I had bed bugs. At least, thats what Im hoping.
Just call Roscoe the Bed Bug Dog, bro.

--LinkRemoved--

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:27 pm

rad law wrote:Vandy people, I will pick up your furniture in my truck in return for alcohol or cans of skoal.
I may take you up on that!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:51 pm

fingersxd wrote:
rad law wrote:Vandy people, I will pick up your furniture in my truck in return for alcohol or cans of skoal.
I may take you up on that!
Just shoot me a PM

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Taking a cute little '99 Corolla filled with clothing, computer, toiletries... let's see... books... a fan... and snuggling into my furnished apartment after the 11 hour drive from middle of nowhere PA to UIUC

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am

NC to Ithaca :cry: I have no idea what I'm going to do. With all my clothes there will be no room left in my midsize sedan for all my other stuff. Fortunately I found a furnished apartment, so I can leave my furniture at my parents' house. Looking for the cheapest option available, which hopefully will allow me to fly to NY instead of driving. That being said, I will try to donate things I don't really need in order to avoid being in an episode of Hoarders.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 am

OKC to Chicago. 90% sure I'm going to rent a truck from Penske and drive up all my crap now. I considered PODs or refurnishing at IKEA but found those ideas more complicated and expensive. PODs does not deliver within Chicago so I'd have to rent a moving truck for a day and go pick up all the crap. With IKEA, I'd pay just as much as a moving van plus still have to find a way up there (I'm not bringing a car).

FWIW, the smallest Penske truck is $519.00 but you get 10% off for booking online and they say you can get an additional 10% off when you pickup if you show that it's for moving for school.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 am

DC to Boston. Planning to get rid of all of my furniture and using the Greyhound bus shipping service for everything else. Should be about $250.

I thought about FedEx/UPS-ing everything, but I've heard a lot of bad stories about things arriving broken or not at all, plus I don't have a secure enough location for stuff to be shipped to.

If it turns out that I have less stuff than I thought once I start packing, I may just fly Southwest (two free checked bags) and pay for an extra bag or two if needed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”