Gunner Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Pisto3

Gunner Schools

Postby Pisto3 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:25 am

After a quick search on the topic, couldn't find diddly. I'm most likely attending a school that's ranked in the 50s in the fall. I know that a couple of schools ranked nearby have been known as "gunner"/"academic" schools *ahem*Baylor*ahem* - as well as the one I'm attending. I also know that I had a friend just finish 1L at Yale and he said that because first year is P/F, there is no gunner attitude at all...I heard the same thing from someone at HLS, too.

I'm probably going to guess that competition is fiercest at the schools near the top of T2 where doing well could get you an upward transfer / or a really good regional job, while the chances for those outside the top 10% of the class are, well, not as good...

What do you guys think are the typical "gunner" schools, specifically?

Doritos

Re: Gunner Schools

Postby Doritos » Fri May 14, 2010 11:50 am

0L here speaking from knowledge obtained from the internet...

I think there is a big difference between being a "gunner" and being hard working. From what I've ascertained it seems gunners talk incessantly in class and go off on tangents. I have heard extreme cases where someone would hide another person's textbooks around exam time. That's more rare though. I think due to the fantastic economy we are in there will be more competition across the board. At least at the school I'm going to they say this year was the toughest on record to gain admission. Jobs are also more scarce than they were in recent years. Less jobs + smarter people in your class = you better work really hard. I know this doesn't answer your question but...uh...yeah

Return to “Law School FAQ”