double majoring psychology and business law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kinglew

New

double majoring psychology and business law

Post by kinglew » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm a freshman psychology major now and i'm thinking about double majoring in business law
due to me being interested in the entertainment/ip law field. Would this give me a slight boost in admissions?
Also how well will the double major look post grad? or is it even worth it to do it?

JimHalpert

New

Re: double majoring psychology and business law

Post by JimHalpert » Tue May 11, 2010 3:56 pm

-No
-Won't matter
-Only if you are intrinsically interested in it

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 am

so if my interests after law school are entertainment law and the intellectual property side of it dealing with contracts, trademarks etc, would having this second major in business law put me at a significant advantage for getting hired in big law firm?

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon May 24, 2010 5:39 am

Maybe just to give you something to talk about in interviews. But firms don't care about your undergrad major unless you're going IP

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 am

kinglew wrote:so if my interests after law school are entertainment law and the intellectual property side of it dealing with contracts, trademarks etc, would having this second major in business law put me at a significant advantage for getting hired in big law firm?

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Excellent thread so far.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Excellent thread so far.
+1.

EDIT: You're a FRESHMAN?? Get off here and go meet come chicks (or dudes, w/e).

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 pm

kinglew wrote:I'm a freshman psychology major now and i'm thinking about double majoring in business law
due to me being interested in the entertainment/ip law field. Would this give me a slight boost in admissions?
Also how well will the double major look post grad? or is it even worth it to do it?
Choose something easy. I started out as a Computer Engineering major and dropped it when I decided I wanted to go into law. Your UG major won't matter at all so pick something that will boost your GPA.

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Mon May 24, 2010 10:02 pm

If only we could all go into entertainment law...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue May 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Law schools do not care what your undergrad major is. They do not care if you double major. Law school may actually be made more difficult because ungrad programs that try and give their students a legal understanding usually eff it up and end up putting their students in a worse position for law school than a non-legal major would.

I'll use a metaphor. Think of your legal mind like a plot of land, and a law school professor like a constuction firm. It's easier for that construction firm to put in a nice building if they don't first have to remove the disaster left by some undergraduate legal studies professor with access to a cement truck, a backhoe, and an unlimited supply of scotch.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Law schools do not care what your undergrad major is. They do not care if you double major. Law school may actually be made more difficult because ungrad programs that try and give their students a legal understanding usually eff it up and end up putting their students in a worse position for law school than a non-legal major would.

I'll use a metaphor. Think of your legal mind like a plot of land, and a law school professor like a constuction firm. It's easier for that construction firm to put in a nice building if they don't first have to remove the disaster left by some undergraduate legal studies professor with access to a cement truck, a backhoe, and an unlimited supply of scotch.
Don't hate on the scotch!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Law schools do not care what your undergrad major is. They do not care if you double major. Law school may actually be made more difficult because ungrad programs that try and give their students a legal understanding usually eff it up and end up putting their students in a worse position for law school than a non-legal major would.

QFT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”