Good Pre-Law Classes Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JimCarrey728

New

Good Pre-Law Classes

Post by JimCarrey728 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:36 pm

I am trying to select classes for the next year. What classes help you in law school? I took some Political Science, English, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Music, Native American Studies, American History 1 and 2.

Im thinking of taking an Ethics class, which is in the Philosophy Dept. And a Seminar in European History.

What else are good recommendations?

cardnal124

Bronze

Re: Good Pre-Law Classes

Post by cardnal124 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:42 pm

If you haven't taken the LSAT, take a logic class.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Ethics is a worthless class to take.

Try Philosophy, Economics, Statistics (non-calc based unless you are up for a challenge)

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:02 am

cardnal124 wrote:If you haven't taken the LSAT, take a logic class.
+1 Also consider constitutional law courses if offered.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:05 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Ethics is a worthless class to take.

Try Philosophy, Economics, Statistics (non-calc based unless you are up for a challenge)
Ethics is a branch of philosophy. And I fully support you taking any philosophy course, if for no other reason than they rock. And like another poster said, take a logic class if you haven't already taken the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quine

Bronze

Post by Quine » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Ethics is a worthless class to take.
If you understood the study of ethics, you'd know it isn't worthless.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:11 am

Like others, I think Logic is a good choice. I think Ethics is an okay choice.

I doubt a seminar in European history will do much for you unless it's about estates in feudal England.

I'd suggest taking a class in public speaking.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Our Intro to Ethics class is actually half about logic/arguments and half about ethical theories, so that could be helpful.

Con law is helpful to introduce you to the idea of interpreting law and reading cases. Some political science classes are also helpful if they are in the judicial area.

Discrete math or anything to do with integer logic will help with logic and logic games. It quantifies logic into numbers.

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Having been a philosophy major with about twenty or so philosophy/political theory/philosophy of religion (offered through the Religious Studies department) classes to my name, I would also recommend taking philosophy classes. In my opinion, I don't think a survey-style ethics course would be the best use of your time. Take something a bit more specialized and rigorous, e.g., philosophy of mathematics, philosophy of language, a "Topics in [blank] Philosophy/Philosophy of [blank]" course, or a graduate-level philosophy course if you can swing it. Anything with an emphasis on detailed exegetical analyses of primary texts should allow you to hone your critical skills in ways that will actually be of help to you in attacking the LSAT and numerous other problems in school/life/dreams.

Definitely take logic, but try to do so just before the semester in which you'll take the LSAT. What you'll learn there will be helpful, but you don't want to forget it (and in reality, you won't use logic in any other class except for a higher-level logic course).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Symbolic logic or any phil class that deals with logical reasoning

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Philosophy and Logic are definitely beneficial. Also, take a literature class. Although it doesn't seem obvious, literature is helpful for both law school and the LSAT. You will learn how to read dry, out-dated books, and how to analyze the author's purpose.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm

AllBusiness wrote:Having been a philosophy major with about twenty or so philosophy/political theory/philosophy of religion (offered through the Religious Studies department) classes to my name, I would also recommend taking philosophy classes. In my opinion, I don't think a survey-style ethics course would be the best use of your time. Take something a bit more specialized and rigorous, e.g., philosophy of mathematics, philosophy of language, a "Topics in [blank] Philosophy/Philosophy of [blank]" course, or a graduate-level philosophy course if you can swing it. Anything with an emphasis on detailed exegetical analyses of primary texts should allow you to hone your critical skills in ways that will actually be of help to you in attacking the LSAT and numerous other problems in school/life/dreams.

Definitely take logic, but try to do so just before the semester in which you'll take the LSAT. What you'll learn there will be helpful, but you don't want to forget it (and in reality, you won't use logic in any other class except for a higher-level logic course).

I completely agree with you about taking a more specialized philosophy course. The only thing i would add is, try taking something which involves a lot of contemporary works rather than ancient, medieval, or early-modern stuff; reading Plato won't help you as much as reading Russell or Parfit, i think.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:12 am

I think logic is pretty worthless. I'm taking logic now and I'm not sure how much it's going to help with the LSAT. I was a bit disappointed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
I think logic is pretty worthless. I'm taking logic now and I'm not sure how much it's going to help with the LSAT. I was a bit disappointed.
really? I was thinking about taking a logic class for the LSAT, how wasn't it helpful?

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am

kinglew wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
really? I was thinking about taking a logic class for the LSAT, how wasn't it helpful?
It just doesn't seem all that helpful. You cover sentential and predicate logic but the LR section on the LSAT doesn't require that deep an understanding of logic. You're probably better off doing logic games all day. Maybe it's because I haven't finished the course, who knows.

The professor for my class did say on the first day of class that his class is worthless in terms of preparing for the LSAT.

TigerWoods85

New

Post by TigerWoods85 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 am

take whatever classes you're good at because ultimately the GPA boost will be more important than any combination of classes

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

TigerWoods85 wrote:take whatever classes you're good at because ultimately the GPA boost will be more important than any combination of classes
+1

There are no courses in UG that will substantively prepare you at all for the courses you'll take in law school. Just get a good GPA.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 am

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:Philosophy and Logic are definitely beneficial. Also, take a literature class. Although it doesn't seem obvious, literature is helpful for both law school and the LSAT. You will learn how to read dry, out-dated books, and how to analyze the author's purpose.
I was an English major in undergrad, and find it useful in law school classes. Much of the analysis and interpretation of the language used in novels and poetry translates to analyzing and interpreting the language used in statutes and case decisions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”