Best Law School for Texas? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Rawlsian

Bronze

Re: Best Law School for Texas?

Post by Rawlsian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:53 am

Someone could look up some of the top firms in Dallas, and post the # of UT and SMU grads at each, including the number of partners. I'm too lazy to do it, but at least then this discussion might get somewhere.

edit: I didn't read the last 10 pages. My bad if this is already worked out. I went ahead and looked up Jones Day-Dallas. SMU=47 grads; UT=51

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 am

Rawlsian wrote:Someone could look up some of the top firms in Dallas, and post the # of UT and SMU grads at each, including the number of partners. I'm too lazy to do it, but at least then this discussion might get somewhere.

edit: I didn't read the last 10 pages. My bad if this is already worked out. I went ahead and looked up Jones Day-Dallas. SMU=47 grads; UT=51
Haha already happened. Those numbers (a wash between UT and SMU) provoked a discussion about which posters did not understand self-selection.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 am

rad law wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:Someone could look up some of the top firms in Dallas, and post the # of UT and SMU grads at each, including the number of partners. I'm too lazy to do it, but at least then this discussion might get somewhere.

Haha already happened. Those numbers (a wash between UT and SMU) provoked a discussion about which posters did not understand self-selection.
The discussion eventually came to whether SMU/UT is better for TX biglaw than your choice of T-14s, excluding HYS. Then, it's hypotheticals and opinions. Although I was rejected there, I believe that UT is the best overall choice. I prefer can and does over could or should. Of course, this will vary depending on an individual's particular situation. Consideration should be given to connections already established, market preference, networking ability, available financing, etc.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:49 am

chrisokc wrote:
rad law wrote:

The discussion eventually came to whether SMU/UT is better for TX biglaw than your choice of T-14s, excluding HYS. Then, it's hypotheticals and opinions. Although I was rejected there, I believe that UT is the best overall choice. I prefer can and does over could or should. Of course, this will vary depending on an individual's particular situation. Consideration should be given to connections already established, market preference, networking ability, available financing, etc.
Thanks for the update. :) They should have a auto-summary function every 200 posts or so...

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

I've only read about three total pages of this thread, but are people ITT still trying to make the case that SMU gives you a better shot of Dallas biglaw than UT or most of the T14? I will let you guys know that I spoke with someone awhile back from a Dallas biglaw firm that interviews for associate positons who said that top 15% at SMU is roughly equivalent to top 50% at a T10. A Houston biglaw partner gave me a similar response when comparing UH and a T10.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Ok so I didn't take the time to read the entire post and make sure this hasn't been posted yet, but perhaps this data could be of some use:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Ok so I didn't take the time to read the entire post and make sure this hasn't been posted yet, but perhaps this data could be of some use:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf
That's just the NLJ250 chart we see all the time but broken down by region. It's unfortunately not really informative at all other than telling you what % of each school's students stay in their home state. (Example: Penn, 18% in PA.) It doesn't say anything about a school's placement in that specific region.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:41 pm

kosherboy2

New

Post by kosherboy2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:55 pm

The weather in houston is humid...the weather in dallas is unpredictable(we had a snow day a couple of weeks ago) and yes the cost of living is pretty good, but is that really how you want to base where you want to work at? And btw SMU does have a pretty good lock on dallas but im sure you wont have any problems by going to UT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:10 pm

kosherboy2 wrote:And btw SMU does have a pretty good lock on dallas
--ImageRemoved--

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 pm

kosherboy2 wrote:The weather in houston is humid...the weather in dallas is unpredictable(we had a snow day a couple of weeks ago) and yes the cost of living is pretty good, but is that really how you want to base where you want to work at? And btw SMU does have a pretty good lock on dallas but im sure you wont have any problems by going to UT
I had a face palm moment until I realized this post came from someone who hasn't even started UG yet.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p2359981

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
We've come full circle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7Xs9WV ... re=related

Cue next 5 pages being devoted to what the previous 10 already showed.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I've only read about three total pages of this thread, but are people ITT still trying to make the case that SMU gives you a better shot of Dallas biglaw than UT or most of the T14? I will let you guys know that I spoke with someone awhile back from a Dallas biglaw firm that interviews for associate positons who said that top 15% at SMU is roughly equivalent to top 50% at a T10. A Houston biglaw partner gave me a similar response when comparing UH and a T10.
Am I the only one who thinks this speaks relatively strongly for SMU? I'm not saying that SMU is better than UT for TX biglaw, but I can live with top 15% at SMU being on-par with top 50% at a top-10 school. That sounds pretty fair to me. I'm also one of these idiots who believes it's easier to win fights in a lower weight class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

公诉人

New

Post by 公诉人 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this speaks relatively strongly for SMU?
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/smu-law- ... n-warrior/

hth

feel free to read the comments
Last edited by 公诉人 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 pm

To go in a kind of different direction:

If one were to transfer with the intent of working in Texas (Austin really) obviously the best option is UT. However, that's not a given for admission. What would be some other options outside of the Texas schools? do AZ/ AZ State place at all in Austin? Looking for fallback/ other transfer options than UT from someone looking to get closer to Texas/ better school

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 pm

GordonBombay wrote:To go in a kind of different direction:

If one were to transfer with the intent of working in Texas (Austin really) obviously the best option is UT. However, that's not a given for admission. What would be some other options outside of the Texas schools? do AZ/ AZ State place at all in Austin? Looking for fallback/ other transfer options than UT from someone looking to get closer to Texas/ better school

Is SMU / UofH / Baylor an option?

Aside from that, perhaps Tulane in Louisiana?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:24 pm

公诉人 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this speaks relatively strongly for SMU?
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/smu-law- ... n-warrior/

hth

feel free to read the comments
you quoted the wrong person.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm

kalvano wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:To go in a kind of different direction:

Is SMU / UofH / Baylor an option?

Aside from that, perhaps Tulane in Louisiana?
I mentioned SMU to him and Tulane would probably be a good option. A jump to the top 50 in the Texas market would definitely be a nice consolation to UT.

Thanks for the input

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
yeah, that's how I feel when trying to fathom how anyone could want to live in DFW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”