166/2.6 Splitterfun, Where should I app? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Panther7

Bronze

166/2.6 Splitterfun, Where should I app?

Post by Panther7 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:54 am

LSAT: 166
LSDAS GPA: 2.6

I'm from the Midwest (Wisconsin), and I'm trying to put together a list of schools I should apply to. I'm not tied to any particular region, but would prefer a larger city if possible (>100k). Money is definitely an issue, as I have none and prefer less debt if possible. I would like to stay in the T50. Due to being a splitter with a 2.6, nothing on a calculator really applies. It's kind of a crapshoot for me, and the more schools I apply to, the more likely I'll have a choice between a few options.

My current list is:

Wisconsin (obviously)
Marquette
UIUC
Iowa
Indiana-Bloomington
GMU
Ohio State
Penn State
Florida

Should I throw in a few schools such as these?
University of Washington
Fordham
The Boston Schools
Baylor
Mizzou
Miami

Obviously this is far from complete. Most of my knowledge is related to the Midwest, as I'd like to get a degree that is portable to WI (my home state), hence a large selection of Big10 schools (everyone in WI knows the Big10 schools). However this is not set in stone, and if I'm sold on another region I'd be all for going there. I dislike cold weather, so I know my list isn't complete yet.

Can you sell me on a few suggestions? Is there a better strategy than throwing grapeshot at the 20-50 range?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Re: 166/2.6 Splitterfun, Where should I app?

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Though this should be in the "What are my chances?" forum, can someone please answer his question? I have almost the same numbers and am curious where my $60 per app. will be best spent (read: wasted).

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Panther7 wrote:LSAT: 166
LSDAS GPA: 2.6

I'm from the Midwest (Wisconsin), and I'm trying to put together a list of schools I should apply to. I'm not tied to any particular region, but would prefer a larger city if possible (>100k). Money is definitely an issue, as I have none and prefer less debt if possible. I would like to stay in the T50. Due to being a splitter with a 2.6, nothing on a calculator really applies. It's kind of a crapshoot for me, and the more schools I apply to, the more likely I'll have a choice between a few options.

My current list is:

Wisconsin (obviously)
Marquette
UIUC
Iowa
Indiana-Bloomington
GMU
Ohio State
Penn State
Florida

University of Washington
Fordham
The Boston Schools
Baylor
Mizzou
Miami

Obviously this is far from complete. Most of my knowledge is related to the Midwest, as I'd like to get a degree that is portable to WI (my home state), hence a large selection of Big10 schools (everyone in WI knows the Big10 schools). However this is not set in stone, and if I'm sold on another region I'd be all for going there. I dislike cold weather, so I know my list isn't complete yet.

Can you sell me on a few suggestions? Is there a better strategy than throwing grapeshot at the 20-50 range?

Also, UIUC, according to lawschoolnumbers.com, doesn't turn down people with a 166 (your score), however they aren't bashful about WL-ing or flat-out rejecting those w/ a 165 (my score).

Lastly,
I tend to be optimistic...
Iowa - WL, In
Penn St. - In
Ohio St - WL, in (?)
Wisc - Out
Marquette - In and $$$
FL - In

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:32 pm

First off, congratulations on the bowl game. Big Ten is off to a great start.

Second, according to Law School Predictor:http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Wisconsin - Consider
Marquette - Admit
UIUC - Weak Consider
Iowa - Weak Consider
Indiana-Bloomington - Consider
GMU - Deny
Ohio State - Weak Consider
Penn State - Strong Consider
Florida - Consider

University of Washington - WUSTL? Deny
Fordham - Deny
The Boston Schools - Deny at both BU and BC
Baylor - Consider
Mizzou - Consider
Miami - Consider

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think it gives you an idea of how competitive you are in those schools based on LSN.

dt15

New

Post by dt15 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote: Also, UIUC, according to lawschoolnumbers.com, doesn't turn down people with a 166 (your score), however they aren't bashful about WL-ing or flat-out rejecting those w/ a 165 (my score).

Lastly,
I tend to be optimistic...
Iowa - WL, In
Penn St. - In
Ohio St - WL, in (?)
Wisc - Out
Marquette - In and $$$
FL - In
I got rejected from UIUC with 3.0/165: D1 athlete, but no URM or Non-Trad, and I was out-of-state. (Although my home state is Missouri and I went to school at Indiana University so I reckon I'm as close to in-state as I can get without living there. As if that matters. It's all about the $$.)

Sucks though, I really might have gone there too.

OP should go to Wisconsin or Marquette if he wants to practice law in WI. To my knowledge, Wisconsin and Marquette grads don't have to take the Wisconsin Bar! (Correct me if I am wrong.) That's a huge bonus right there.

Also, several of the other schools on OP's list are considered to be highly regional (e.g. Ohio State, Indiana, Penn State, Florida). Just because everyone in Wisconsin knows that Penn State and Florida have good football teams does not mean that the larger firms in Wisconsin do OCIs at Penn State or UF. Most grads from those schools don't stray too far away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bloustmaster

New

Post by bloustmaster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:16 pm

a 2.6 is a shitty GPA as far as law school is concerned. You may want to apply to MANY places to ensure admittance somewhere, if your heart is set on law school.

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:08 am

^^Yes there is no doubt that 2.6 is a low GPA for law school but if the grades show a upward trend then this poster will have some really good choices. If there is no upward trend w/ this 2.6 then things will probably be a lot more difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”