Adderall in Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Adderall in Law School

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Hey guys, there's this new stuff out called compound BPUOS that's shown to enhance you in every way possible. You just have to shoot it into your veins and BOOM - you're infallible until death. No lie.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 pm

r2b2ct wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Nikrall wrote:If the only justification for condemning adderall use is based on its illegality, then it seems like it is the case that If illegal then bad is an assumed premise. Show me the difference between caffeine and adderall thats not based on legality, and then maybe you can make the argument for shades of grey in the legal sense. But as long as people are basing their condemnation on illegality alone...yeah, its pretty black and white.

Nobody is arguing that the legality is important, and solely important. What every argument against adderall has hinged upon is its legality and everyone has cited legality as a reason to specifically be against it. Nobody seems to have a problem with using drugs as study aids...but its somehow completely different when its illegal drugs. And you want to tell me that legality somehow isn't the sole thing people are basing the argument on?
The argument that adderall is unethical certainly hinges on its illegality, but that's not the whole story. Adderall is illegal (unprescribed) and it is a substance that presumably enhances performance in law school. Using an illegal substance to gain an advantage in a competition is cheating. Law school is a competition (someone's gain is another's loss due to the curve). Cheating is unethical.
But using a legal substance that presumably enhances performance in law school is ok....so the illegality IS the whole story.
It's the difference between caffeine and adderall, but that doesn't mean that all illegal activities are necessarily unethical or that illegal and unethical are equivalent.
To validly conclude that adderall not ok and caffeine is ok based solely on their legality, a necessary assumption is "if illegal then unethical".

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:12 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:This should answer your question.

I think they filmed this at BU or BC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUukchws
This is one of the few law school parody videos that is straight up brilliant. I actually think it's better than the real video.

Also, if this hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/addera ... ard,17527/

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:45 am

Nikrall wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
r2b2ct wrote: The argument that adderall is unethical certainly hinges on its illegality, but that's not the whole story. Adderall is illegal (unprescribed) and it is a substance that presumably enhances performance in law school. Using an illegal substance to gain an advantage in a competition is cheating. Law school is a competition (someone's gain is another's loss due to the curve). Cheating is unethical.
But using a legal substance that presumably enhances performance in law school is ok....so the illegality IS the whole story.
It's the difference between caffeine and adderall, but that doesn't mean that all illegal activities are necessarily unethical or that illegal and unethical are equivalent.
To validly conclude that adderall not ok and caffeine is ok based solely on their legality, a necessary assumption is "if illegal then unethical".
Is adderall freely available to all interested parties?

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:48 am

Baylan wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
Its pretty easy to get, yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:50 am

--ImageRemoved--

This thread is like opening a thread asking for opiates.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:54 am

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:55 am

Nikrall wrote: Its pretty easy to get, yes.
you have an illustrious future ahead of you.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:06 am

jayn3 wrote:
Because I know how easy it is to get adderall?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:09 am

Nikrall wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
not because of that post in particular, but because of how avidly you've followed this thread. i am forced to believe that you care very, very deeply about addies. good luck man, enjoy the twitchies =\

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:11 am

Nikrall wrote:
Baylan wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
r2b2ct wrote: It's the difference between caffeine and adderall, but that doesn't mean that all illegal activities are necessarily unethical or that illegal and unethical are equivalent.
You didn't answer my question. Easy to get != freely available to all interested parties.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 am

jayn3 wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
not because of that post in particular, but because of how avidly you've followed this thread. i am forced to believe that you care very, very deeply about addies. good luck man, enjoy the twitchies =\
Nikrall wrote:
Like all drugs, adderall affects people differently, sometimes in pretty extreme ways. It doesn't do anything for me except make me want to clean, so as a studying tool it is fairly useless. It seems to help some people quite a lot, others not so much. As for eventually crashing...same thing, it depends on the person. I have a good friend of mine who is an E-head...he's done E every weekend for the last 12 years. And while doing E every weekend he managed to move from doing the photocopying in a newsroom to becoming a fairly well known finance reporter.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:16 am

Baylan wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
Baylan wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
You didn't answer my question. Easy to get != freely available to all interested parties.
*shrug* if you want to be technical, go for it. No its not "freely" available to all interested parties. Nor is caffeine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:18 am

Nikrall wrote:
There is some truth to the bolded statement. I'm certainly not arguing that drug laws are legitimate or correct, but if you use an illegal substance to surpass your peers in LS, then other LS students are pressured use an illegal substance to beat you. This could affect their federal funding, among other things (reputation etc.). So to violate the law to succeed on a law test is to force your fellow students to take those risks. That does seem to be ethically questionable.

And by the way, comparing caffeine to adderall seems similar to comparing protein powder to steroids. Yeah each enhances your performance, but one is a LOT stronger than the other and has FAR worse side effects.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 am

Nikrall wrote:
Baylan wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
Baylan wrote:
*shrug* if you want to be technical, go for it. No its not "freely" available to all interested parties. Nor is caffeine.
I do want to be technical. I would argue that caffeine is freely available to all interested parties. Give me an example of a law student who cannot get caffeine if they desire/prioritize it?

edit: Within legal confines.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 am

Baylan wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
Baylan wrote:
I do want to be technical. I would argue that caffeine is freely available to all interested parties. Give me an example of a law student who cannot get caffeine if they desire/prioritize it?

Coffee ends up being pretty expensive when you use it every day. Aside from that, something that costs money to get is not "freely available". There can, and are, costs associated with obtaining both caffeine and adderall. Is it easier to obtain caffeine? Sure. But its fairly easy to obtain both substances if, as you said, they desire/prioritize it.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:01 am

Nikrall wrote:
Baylan wrote:

Coffee ends up being pretty expensive when you use it every day. Aside from that, something that costs money to get is not "freely available". There can, and are, costs associated with obtaining both caffeine and adderall. Is it easier to obtain caffeine? Sure. But its fairly easy to obtain both substances if, as you said, they desire/prioritize it.
[/quote]

Bad coffee is cheap. Plus, you can get a bottle of 80 caffeine pills at Walmart for like $3.50.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:03 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:Bad coffee is cheap. Plus, you can get a bottle of 80 caffeine pills at Walmart for like $3.50.
Bad plan:

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:17 am

Nikrall wrote: To validly conclude that adderall not ok and caffeine is ok based solely on their legality, a necessary assumption is "if illegal then unethical".
This need not be true in all cases. I am only arguing that it is unethical when it encroaches on the rights of other law students by putting them at a disadvantage. This means that unprescribed adderall use in law school includes the dishonest manipulation of other people's welfare. When someone breaks a rule for their own advantage to the disadvantage of those who don't, that person is committing an act of cheating. This necessitates that people have a right to follow the rules without being put at a disadvantage (and violations of this right are thereby unfair and unethical), but it does not necessitate that all rule violations are unethical. Particularly, illegal acts that don't harm others and/or are done by accident may not be unethical according to this account.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:01 pm

legalease9 wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
There is some truth to the bolded statement. I'm certainly not arguing that drug laws are legitimate or correct, but if you use an illegal substance to surpass your peers in LS, then other LS students are pressured use an illegal substance to beat you. This could affect their federal funding, among other things (reputation etc.). So to violate the law to succeed on a law test is to force your fellow students to take those risks. That does seem to be ethically questionable.

And by the way, comparing caffeine to adderall seems similar to comparing protein powder to steroids. Yeah each enhances your performance, but one is a LOT stronger than the other and has FAR worse side effects.

I agree with the analogy (HGH might fit better) as long as you take away the negative connotation of HGH or steroids from someone using them to treat a properly diagnosed illness. If someone had a birth defect that stunted their growth, it seems pretty ethical to allow them to receive the available treatment to develop his or her physical structure to a healthy limit. Unfortunately the lines are a whole lot more blurry for ADD, but the ethical concept at its core is the same.

if prescribed/taken at the correct dosage, adderall does not have a high risk of dangerous side effects nor is it as addictive as some other stimulants such as caffeine. if prescribed/taken incorrectly, you run into more cocaine-like risks.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:08 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:Image

--ImageRemoved--
Win!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:14 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Me blood doping before my senior year finals.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 pm

So... NorB?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 pm

I'd probably want to consult a doctor before starting up on the amphetamines, but I guess I'm just one of the sheeple.

Also, NorB!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”