SMU Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Image

Image

Image

Tuition & fees = $49,962.00

Living = $25,280.00

Employment Data:
http://www.law.smu.edu/career-services/employment-data

Course Catalog:
http://www.smu.edu/~/media/Site/catalog/PDF/Grad/2015/2015_SMU_DedmanLawCatalog.ashx?la=en


Dining Options:(Stolen from last years thread, feel free to make any suggestions)
Fast Food: Chic-Fil-A, Whataburger, Panda Express, Subway, In n Out Burger, Raising Canes
Sandwich shops: Roly Poly, Smashburger, Twisted Root, Jimmy Johns, Jason's Deli
Italian: Terreli's, Campisi's, Olivella's, Prego Pasta House, Amore
Mexican: Chipotle, Torchy's, Freebirds, Rusty Taco, Qdoba
BBQ: Peggy Sue's, Big Tex BBQ
Asian: PF Changs, Genghis Grill, Pei Wei, Lover's Egg Roll
German: Kuby's
Local pubs: Nodding Donkey, Trinity Hall Irish Pub, Barley House, So&So's, The Porch, Mckinney Avenue, Del Frisco's
Smoothies: SMUothies, Jamba Juice, Smoothie Factory



Stole alot from last years thread, as we get going we can post who makes what section etc. Hopefully a few more join in so we can have somewhat of an active thread!
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 pm

I can say for certain that I will be attending in the fall, and can't wait to meet everyone.

If any out-of-towners have any questions about the Dallas area in general, or apartment options don't hesitate to PM me. Pony up!

Disclaimer: Born, raised, and college educated in Dallas/Ft. Worth
Last edited by BeatriceButler on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChampionshipPressure
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby ChampionshipPressure » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:I can say for certain that I will be attending in the fall, and can't wait to meet everyone.

For what it's worth I was born, raised, and college educated in Dallas/Ft. Worth. If any out-of-towners have any questions about the Dallas area in general, or apartment options don't hesitate to PM me. Pony up!


Hi fellow Dallasite, I'll be there in the fall too, I can't wait to get started! Thank you Patriot for starting the thread!

texasrangersjb
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:08 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby texasrangersjb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi y'all!

25 y/o, lived in Dallas for 4 years, will be attending SMU Dedman this fall as well. Class of 2019! Woo woo!

twokings
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby twokings » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:35 pm

What neighborhoods would you suggest for buying a home? I'm hoping to live 10-15 minutes from the law school but removed enough that we aren't surrounded by students. Thank you in advance!

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:17 pm

twokings wrote:What neighborhoods would you suggest for buying a home? I'm hoping to live 10-15 minutes from the law school but removed enough that we aren't surrounded by students. Thank you in advance!


My answer to this question could change significantly based on what your price range/needs are, but I would look primarily in Richardson first if I were looking for a home while at SMU. I would start looking in the neighborhoods off the highway 75 Royal exit, and then everything 4 or 5 exits north of that.

There are options closer to campus in the Highland Park area also, but a 3-4 bedroom home there could cost you an arm and a leg.

ChampionshipPressure
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby ChampionshipPressure » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:
twokings wrote:What neighborhoods would you suggest for buying a home? I'm hoping to live 10-15 minutes from the law school but removed enough that we aren't surrounded by students. Thank you in advance!


My answer to this question could change significantly based on what your price range/needs are, but I would look primarily in Richardson first if I were looking for a home while at SMU. I would start looking in the neighborhoods off the highway 75 Royal exit, and then everything 4 or 5 exits north of that.

There are options closer to campus in the Highland Park area also, but a 3-4 bedroom home there could cost you an arm and a leg.

Look in the Casa Linda area and White Rock area. Lakewood is another good option. The commute from Richardson to SMU in the morning and evening on 75 can be complete gridlock, so I would not recommend living there during 1L. After you figure out where in the metroplex you'll be practicing, it's a great community to live in, but I would prefer uptown if I'm fortunate enough to get big law here in Dallas. One thing is for sure, you have plenty of options.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:05 am

Anyone started looking at apartments yet? Need to do that, curious any pros/cons people have found. I'm looking to live within easy walking distance personally.

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:16 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Anyone started looking at apartments yet? Need to do that, curious any pros/cons people have found. I'm looking to live within easy walking distance personally.


I signed a lease about two weeks ago with a complex right off 75 and Royal (just south of 75 and 635 "high five" intersection). I needed a place relatively close to both SMU and UTD because my girlfriend is currently finishing up her undergrad at UTD, and will be splitting rent with me.

There are options closer to campus, but I found that most of the 1 bedroom apartments near campus were way over the price I wanted to pay ($900 per month or less). Saw some decent deals on 2 bedrooms walking distance to campus though....

With that being said I also looked really hard at "The Village" off 75 and North West Highway, and almost ended up leasing there. The quote they gave me on a 1 bedroom was something like $875-$900 per month. It's one or two exits closer to SMU than where I ended up leasing, but I ended up choosing the Royal and 75 complex because they gave me $785 per month, were recently remodeled, and I know two people who currently lease there that vouched for it.

User avatar
OtterLaw
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby OtterLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:24 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:Anyone started looking at apartments yet? Need to do that, curious any pros/cons people have found. I'm looking to live within easy walking distance personally.


I signed a lease about two weeks ago with a complex right off 75 and Royal (just south of 75 and 635 "high five" intersection). I needed a place relatively close to both SMU and UTD because my girlfriend is currently finishing up her undergrad at UTD, and will be splitting rent with me.

There are options closer to campus, but I found that most of the 1 bedroom apartments near campus were way over the price I wanted to pay ($900 per month or less). Saw some decent deals on 2 bedrooms walking distance to campus though....

With that being said I also looked really hard at "The Village" off 75 and North West Highway, and almost ended up leasing there. The quote they gave me on a 1 bedroom was something like $875-$900 per month. It's one or two exits closer to SMU than where I ended up leasing, but I ended up choosing the Royal and 75 complex because they gave me $785 per month, were recently remodeled, and I know two people who currently lease there that vouched for it.


I lived in "The Village" for two years for grad school and I really had a great experience with it (I think it was "The Bend" complex within the village. It's huge so there are multiple locations). They don't charge deposits for utilities, and they actually just put a card in your mailbox once a month that has what you owe for utilities and you just add it to your rent check. I thought the places were affordable, clean, and the maintenance staff is friendly and quick with repairs (we complained about a failing fridge and they put a new one in the next day). Anyway, that's my $.02 on housing.

twokings
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby twokings » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:40 pm

I came across a great website for things to do, places to eat, and general lifestyle ideas in the Dallas region. It's tailored a bit to women but I'm sure everyone can find something interesting.

http://www.purewow.com/dallas

thetravelinglawyer
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby thetravelinglawyer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 am

I'm definitely attending in the fall. Grew up in Dallas but I've lived overseas for the past few years, looking forward to being back home and meeting you guys.

thetravelinglawyer
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby thetravelinglawyer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:03 am

twokings wrote:What neighborhoods would you suggest for buying a home? I'm hoping to live 10-15 minutes from the law school but removed enough that we aren't surrounded by students. Thank you in advance!


Really depends on your budget. I would start with the area south of 635 between 35 and Abrams (ideally between the Tollway and 75). There's a pretty wide variety of price ranges, from low all the way up to McMansions.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Well I dropped by for a visit to campus today, which the SMU campus is amazing, and the area is pretty nice a big leap up from my last college. The school of law (at least the building I went in which was mainly classrooms) really seemed dated. I don't know, but I kinda imagined a private school as nice as SMU charging 49k a year would have some pretty high end tech. So wasn't super impressed by that, but the classrooms of course is only a portion of the time you spend dedicated to law school so not a deal breaker or anything. Maybe we can get some updates over the coming years.

Stopped by the bookstore, there was a girl there buying a bunch of school of law stuff (picked up a few things myself) if you are on here random future classmate, hello.


Anyways just thought I would give my 2 cents.


Looking forward to admitted students day on the first!

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 pm

My thoughts were pretty much exactly like Patriot's. Some of the class rooms in the law buildings (there are 4, all right next to each other) were dated compared to other schools I visited. But I also saw the larger class rooms that host most of the 1L classes, and these were much much nicer in my opinion.

The SMU campus as whole though is gorgeous, and so is the immediate area surrounding the campus. I used to think my undergrad university had a pretty nice campus... until I walked around SMU for an hour. I'm looking forward to the tailgates before the football games big time. I've heard they host them on "the boulevard" under all those big trees. Hopefully the team gets better lol they were pretty terrible last year. At least we have Larry Brown and the mens basketball team to root for. They've been really competitive the past few years.

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:13 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Stopped by the bookstore, there was a girl there buying a bunch of school of law stuff (picked up a few things myself) if you are on here random future classmate, hello.


They had law school apparel at the bookstore?! I looked on the SMU bookstore website and was kind of disappointed by the lack of law school specific apparel. Did you go to the SMU bookstore that's in that little shopping center by the CVS, Starbucks, etc ??

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:19 pm

BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:Stopped by the bookstore, there was a girl there buying a bunch of school of law stuff (picked up a few things myself) if you are on here random future classmate, hello.


They had law school apparel at the bookstore?! I looked on the SMU bookstore website and was kind of disappointed by the lack of law school specific apparel. Did you go to the SMU bookstore that's in that little shopping center by the CVS, Starbucks, etc ??


Yupp the barnes and noble! The website has NOTHING lol the bookstore actually has stuff, things for your car (back window sticker, metal decal to put on the body somewhere, and even a licence plate holder), then they have 2 different hats, nice Nike polo, some dri fit athletic top, sweater, and t shirt! I do wish the actual clothing selection was a bit better for the school of law gear but they at least have some. Of course the vast majority of gear there is purely SMU but I think they cater to the law school gear more than other schools from what I could tell. Cox being the main competitor.

BeatriceButler wrote:The SMU campus as whole though is gorgeous, and so is the immediate area surrounding the campus. I used to think my undergrad university had a pretty nice campus... until I walked around SMU for an hour. I'm looking forward to the tailgates before the football games big time. I've heard they host them on "the boulevard" under all those big trees. Hopefully the team gets better lol they were pretty terrible last year. At least we have Larry Brown and the mens basketball team to root for. They've been really competitive the past few years.



I am really looking forward to football, the school I graduated from has no football team and certainly not a nationally competitive basketball team (however they are getting there) so we will have to get together for some games!


Also on a somewhat related note, not sure if anyone here actually enjoys playing basketball, but I certainly plan on playing intramural would be cool to get maybe a 1L team going!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:09 pm

You're missing Banditos (across the street in Snider Plaza) for Mexican food. Watch out for the margaritas, though. Burger House is awesome and cheap, too. Cisco Grill, East Hampton Sandwich Company, and Half Shells are all in Snider Plaza, within walking distance, and can't-go-wrong choices.

A good number of classrooms are pretty dated, but it's a non-factor. It won't affect your experience much.

SMU does not have tailgating. That would be too plebeian. They have "boulevarding."

twokings
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby twokings » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:14 am

PatriotP74 wrote:
BeatriceButler wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:Stopped by the bookstore, there was a girl there buying a bunch of school of law stuff (picked up a few things myself) if you are on here random future classmate, hello.


They had law school apparel at the bookstore?! I looked on the SMU bookstore website and was kind of disappointed by the lack of law school specific apparel. Did you go to the SMU bookstore that's in that little shopping center by the CVS, Starbucks, etc ??


Yupp the barnes and noble! The website has NOTHING lol the bookstore actually has stuff, things for your car (back window sticker, metal decal to put on the body somewhere, and even a licence plate holder), then they have 2 different hats, nice Nike polo, some dri fit athletic top, sweater, and t shirt! I do wish the actual clothing selection was a bit better for the school of law gear but they at least have some. Of course the vast majority of gear there is purely SMU but I think they cater to the law school gear more than other schools from what I could tell. Cox being the main competitor.


What! I checked out the Barnes and Noble last month and couldn't find one item.

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:48 pm

I definitely plan on attending as many SMU basketball games and football games as possible, so yeah I'm always down to link up for that!
Also planned on playing intramural basketball and flag football as well. Two current law students told me that the law school has teams for both, and that they play against the different undergrad teams. :lol:

tigerteacher23
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby tigerteacher23 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:37 am

Hi everyone! Is there any facebook group or the like for people looking for housing/roommates? I couldn't find anything online.

Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

ChampionshipPressure
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby ChampionshipPressure » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:39 pm

tigerteacher23 wrote:Hi everyone! Is there any facebook group or the like for people looking for housing/roommates? I couldn't find anything online.

Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

There's an admitted students Facebook page for the 2016 cycle, but one of the admins will have to add you. Search for SMU Dedman Law 2016/2017 admitted students. I don't think there's a specific group for people looking for housing and roommates just yet, but people have posted in the admitted students group looking for roommates.

tigerteacher23
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby tigerteacher23 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:49 pm

ChampionshipPressure wrote:
tigerteacher23 wrote:Hi everyone! Is there any facebook group or the like for people looking for housing/roommates? I couldn't find anything online.

Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

There's an admitted students Facebook page for the 2016 cycle, but one of the admins will have to add you. Search for SMU Dedman Law 2016/2017 admitted students. I don't think there's a specific group for people looking for housing and roommates just yet, but people have posted in the admitted students group looking for roommates.


Thank you so much! Will go request to join right now.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 am

Sounds like we will be the first class to have 3 full time sections this fall with the suspension of the evening program!

CHNO
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:14 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby CHNO » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:46 am

Not to take this off topic (although, I feel for those part time students who are forced to choose job v. school)

Had to defer for a year, but life changed *again* and i'll be there this fall!

This is probably a stupid question, but when is 1L orientation? Working my job schedule so I can get at least a few days off to move and settle life before school.


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest