. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: The 1Lephant in the Room: Are You Dropping Out

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:08 pm

Big Red wrote:
leslieknope wrote:I started briefing again this semester because during finals I kept being all "I sure wish I briefed instead of annotating!! This would make outlining so much faster!!" Only now I'm remembering why I stopped briefing last semester. You guys, briefing suxxxx.
I was pretty modest and just told myself I would spend like a hour a week reviewing and start outlining the classes with midterms earlier

but I guess nah
Ew.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

briefing is way gross. I can't handle it.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:48 pm

I do partial briefs - one bullet for background on the case, with quick summary of the facts and how the dispute got started, and very short procedural history, and then another bullet summarizing the court's reasoning and holding. I found first semester that writing out procedural posture, issue, etc in separate rows was a waste of time, but this was helpful for retention from reading (notes in the book do nothing for me) and as a reference when I started outlining. I think the focus on traditional briefing and just having something to fill each row is kind of a crutch to make it seem like you understood a case without actually digging into it (although I always go back and add my class notes to my reading notes so I have down how the professor explained it, which was often pretty different from what I had, at least in what was important).

DJM

Bronze

Post by DJM » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:23 pm

book briefing is the way to go

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:26 pm

not-briefing is the way to go (although admittedly i underline and write brief notes occasionally)

any use you get out of individual cases later in a course can be entirely derived from what a professor emphasizes in the class discussion

the value of briefing is not sounding as dumb when you get cold called which is not that high of a value imo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Who cares
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:32 pm

My thing is that my recall is terrible. I remember reading things in the cases when other people tell me or someone else says it on a cold call, but unless I write it down and bring it with me, if I get cold called I remember nothing. I'm not concerned about looking dumb, I just hate sitting there with a blank look like shit, I wish I had notes on this.

accessislife

Bronze

Post by accessislife » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:38 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
accessislife wrote:I send out thank yous after firm receptions too.. too much?
my confidence in the networking queen shaken

edit: word order my high school english teacher would be ashamed of
But like thank you emails not letters, right? The latter's a little too Joel.
:lol: :lol:

I think it's too much after a firm reception, unless you're trying to actually connect with a specific person. But, if anyone can pull it off, it's you. I'm pretty sure you could network your way into owning the moon if you needed to.

For PI, how long do you think it usually takes from interview to offer/decline? Like 2 weeks? 4 weeks? FOREVER?
Thanks for that vote of confidence!

From interview to offer I would say no more than 2 weeks *fingers crossed for you*

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
:lol: :lol:

I think it's too much after a firm reception, unless you're trying to actually connect with a specific person. But, if anyone can pull it off, it's you. I'm pretty sure you could network your way into owning the moon if you needed to.

For PI, how long do you think it usually takes from interview to offer/decline? Like 2 weeks? 4 weeks? FOREVER?
Are you saying that you think it is legal for someone to own the moon? I hope this is something you're discussing in your interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:44 pm

handwrite notes while reading OR type them? OR wait until i finish reading to start jotting down notes? trying to make adjustments for dat top 10% this semester.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:48 pm

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:handwrite notes while reading OR type them? OR wait until i finish reading to start jotting down notes? trying to make adjustments for dat top 10% this semester.
I started last semester handwriting all notes, taking them as I read (or after I read a short case), handwriting class notes in a separate notebook, and then typing everything up together at the end of the week. I realized pretty quick this is a massive time suck, so now I take typed notes as I read and print them out for reference in class, take handwritten notes in classes that don't allow laptops, but do laptop notes for the ones that do, and just type up the handwritten notes. My problem now is I'm taking too many notes, but I'd rather have too much detail than too little as long as I'm not wasting too much time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Brut wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:My thing is that my recall is terrible. I remember reading things in the cases when other people tell me or someone else says it on a cold call, but unless I write it down and bring it with me, if I get cold called I remember nothing. I'm not concerned about looking dumb, I just hate sitting there with a blank look like shit, I wish I had notes on this.
yea same, i have very bad recall so i take notes when i read
also helps me during crunch time when i'm trying to remember cases from like 3 months earlier
I actually psyched myself out so much on this last semester. People were skimming cases or barely reading and then acing cold calls and making really nuanced points about the policy questions in the holding and getting praised by the professors, and I was like shit did we even read the same book. Got pretty negative on myself for a while, but everything turned out better than expected, so now I barely worry about what anyone else says, which I kind of knew from the beginning was TCR, but had to see it actually borne out to believe it.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:03 pm

man i get too distracted when i try to type notes while reading. also, i get really anal about formatting and microsoft word is absolutely TTT when it comes to that. tried using onenote on mac last semester, but the formatting got fucked up while printing.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:man i get too distracted when i try to type notes while reading. also, i get really anal about formatting and microsoft word is absolutely TTT when it comes to that. tried using onenote on mac last semester, but the formatting got fucked up while printing.
Yeah I get distracted too, but I also get distracted just trying to straight read, so either way it's not that efficient. I got this great Chrome add-on though called BlockSite that does what it sounds like, which has really cut down on my impulsive opening of Facebook and others. I'm anal about formatting also but I've had pretty good luck with Word 2011 on Mac, found OneNote too complicated though.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:16 pm

Brut wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
oh shit i just realized you're not clearly

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=93261
Oh haha yeah, I should change my avatar, I changed it back to the generic Mets one after last season and didn't realize he had the same one

ETA: Nice ninja edit for tone

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:38 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
Brut wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:My thing is that my recall is terrible. I remember reading things in the cases when other people tell me or someone else says it on a cold call, but unless I write it down and bring it with me, if I get cold called I remember nothing. I'm not concerned about looking dumb, I just hate sitting there with a blank look like shit, I wish I had notes on this.
also helps me during crunch time when i'm trying to remember cases from like 3 months earlier
I actually psyched myself out so much on this last semester. People were skimming cases or barely reading and then acing cold calls and making really nuanced points about the policy questions in the holding and getting praised by the professors, and I was like shit did we even read the same book. Got pretty negative on myself for a while, but everything turned out better than expected, so now I barely worry about what anyone else says, which I kind of knew from the beginning was TCR, but had to see it actually borne out to believe it.
I find it hilarious how it's the second semester and people still think cold call performance is any measure of intelligence.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Brut wrote:
I find it hilarious how it's the second semester and people still think cold call performance is any measure of intelligence.
I mean it's a measure of some kind of intelligence, just not one that's really relevant for law school. Some people are objectively good at reading and speaking insightfully about what they just read, which I am generally garbage at. It's obviously not any kind of predictor of exam performance, which is what actually matters.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:49 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote: I find it hilarious how it's the second semester and people still think cold call performance is any measure of intelligence.
I enjoy the people who wouldn't shut up last semester, now shutting up.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:51 pm

The guy who, based on his cold call performance, I had pegged as basically future SCOTUS, ended up at median. I still think he's smarter than I am x1000, but law school exams really don't measure anything but how good you are at taking law school exams.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm

For a couple of my classes, I highlight important stuff as a I read, then type up notes in plain English on whatever I've highlighted. I print them with a 3.5" margin on the right side, so I can scribble and write additional notes. It's a lifesaver when you have a professor that bounces around 3+ cases. Makes information easier to access and allows time to write important stuff instead of restatements or case names. Lifesaver in classes where no computers are allowed.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:55 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote: I find it hilarious how it's the second semester and people still think cold call performance is any measure of intelligence.
yessssss :twisted:

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:56 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
this definitely happened.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”