SMU Dedman Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you going to live?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Uptown
30%
The Village
No votes
Lower Greenville
10%
Within one mile from campus
20%
Other (please specify)
40%

Total votes: 10

BigCityDreams

New

Re: SMU Dedman Law Class of 2018

Post by BigCityDreams » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Yes I agree! Someone should get the page going!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Someone on the Houston page did a pretty cool intro post where he introduced himself and where he's from, his hobbies, where he was interested in living, his undergrad, (in case there were any potential roommates responding), etc. If someone makes one I'll keep it going with a comment... I'm not one to break the ice with those things though haha I mean I made the TLS page so that's something!

mootpoint

New

Post by mootpoint » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Checking in. 95% committed to SMU. The other 5% is an attractive waiting list offer that I'm going to wait out. Regardless, I'm very excited for SMU Dedman and Dallas.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:14 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Someone on the Houston page did a pretty cool intro post where he introduced himself and where he's from, his hobbies, where he was interested in living, his undergrad, (in case there were any potential roommates responding), etc. If someone makes one I'll keep it going with a comment... I'm not one to break the ice with those things though haha I mean I made the TLS page so that's something!
anyone? haha the SMU page needs it. Its almost to the point of awkward

Comet123

New

Post by Comet123 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 pm

I vote for baseball to start it because he is the man!!!
ilikebaseball wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Someone on the Houston page did a pretty cool intro post where he introduced himself and where he's from, his hobbies, where he was interested in living, his undergrad, (in case there were any potential roommates responding), etc. If someone makes one I'll keep it going with a comment... I'm not one to break the ice with those things though haha I mean I made the TLS page so that's something!
anyone? haha the SMU page needs it. Its almost to the point of awkward

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:27 pm

I assure you I am absolutely not the man lol

yas_queen

New

Post by yas_queen » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:55 am

Checking in! I've been lurking on TLS forums for almost a year now, and I've finally taken the plunge and made a username just to let you all know I'm down with Dallas this fall!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:50 am

Welcome!

I drastically changed the OP (new pics + new info) and added a poll. So, I stole the poll from the UChi thread... Thought it would get the ball rollin in here. The two games we currently play in my apartment are NHL and Mario Party, but all are totally solid options. Think I'll stick with Mario Party for the nostalgia. (btw, there is no shame in any of these picks... no meninist stuff)

Also added a little housing info for the newbs in the thread in the OP. Just stuff that most of us have talked about before, but places to consider looking at when you begin your housing search. I'll add more when suggested. Maybe I can eventually put together a map with drop-pins on the neighborhoods that this thread's members decided to reside.

In a few weeks I'll add a housing poll on where you are leaning. Idk if its time to start asking around for roommates and stuff (it can probably never be too early) but I don't expect that to happen on the facebook page. Its pretty dead... seems to be a lot of shy people. So this thread may be the best place to look.

Also, if you want, say a few things about yourself that I can put in the OP. Like a profile... if you will. A few interesting things that can start a conversation. For example:
ilikebaseball: My name is Chris. I'm a guy. I go to UG in Arkansas and am 22. I played baseball in college and currently hold season tickets to Dallas Stars games (hockey is my one true love despite playing baseball). I'm torn between living at home (about half an hour away from campus) or finding a chill roommate closer to campus. I love working out (ASD I literally asked them if I could tour the rec center... lol). I'm more of a mellow, drink a 6 pack at home and watch a game type of guy, although I'm sure I'll end up going out once every other week or something like that.

I'm sure you guys have better profiles than that, but I'll be happy to put the main points in the OP!

LegalTexasHopeful

New

Post by LegalTexasHopeful » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Last edited by LegalTexasHopeful on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm

I think you might be right. Welcome to the page!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 pm

btw, Michael has posted an introduction on the facebook page. Be sure to comment on it and chime in.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm

and now people are being social. Hells ya

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Michael, Chris, looks like y'all finally got something going in the Facebook group haha nice work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:45 pm

once you get sections assigned (which will be july or august) and you make section groups those will probably be more social too

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:51 pm

added restaurants to the OP... lets get this thing rollin

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Yes, unless you're the super-social type, your section group will be far more socially active than the entire law school group.

It looks like you guys have professor assignments now, so I can start chiming in. I don't know if Kalvano or the others who graduated last year are still around TLS, but they also usually have good input on this and you can check out previous years threads for their opinions.

Martinez - Chill academic type that loves class discussions. Calls on people, but his entire lecture including every answer can be found in the "Martinez Bible," which you will no doubt locate a copy of within your first week. His exam is a standard law school essay, no tricks, and half of what you spend class discussing won't be on there.

Colangelo - I have only had him for upper level courses, but he is intense and cold calls on people a lot. I imagine he could be difficult as a 1L. Cares a lot more about theory, policy, and development of the law than most professors I have encountered at SMU.

Taylor - Neat guy who's really smart; mostly sticks to the script on reading assignment and lecture. He cold calls in that he has a list of everyone he cycles through for a day, so you'll only be on call for one or two classes each semester. His final is a series of short fact patterns and questions; unlike your other 1L exams, this one is a sprint and not a marathon. Read the questions quickly, write a 2-3 sentence answer, and move on.

Bridge - I have never had him, but from what I understand, you should be very afraid. He's supposed to be the most socratic and hardass professor when it comes to hazing 1Ls.

Palacios - Sweet old lady, but not a very exciting lecturer. Everything you need to know is on her slides, which she basically reads from in class. At the start of every class, she asks 4 review questions, which you are not allowed to write down. The final exam will consist of a word for word rehash of those review questions, plus an essay.

Jenks - This guy is awesome. He's younger and newer, but does a good job making sure you really understand what is going on. I had him for Evidence and he did lots of practice questions and such to make sure everyone had a grasp of the material. He does get a bit flustered sometimes if you ask him a question he isn't prepared for, but he always manages to eventually explain things. Has tons of war stories, literally and figuratively. His Evidence final was multiple choice, as most Evidence finals are; not sure how he will test criminal law.

Gaba - Burnt out hippie. Super smart and chill guy, and does a good job explaining things, but he talks really quiet and tends to mumble. Sit close to the front. I had him for Environmental Law and his final was a mix of "explain yourself true/false" and an essay. Pretty straightforward, no hiding the ball.

Mayo - Awesome, jolly dude. Does a great job explaining material and presenting hypos that help you understand nuances. His exam was 8 "explain yourself multiple choice" questions and was easy to complete in the allotted time.

I do not have opinions on the other professors since I've not had them, but I hear that Khan, Thornburg, and Robinson are all awesome.
Last edited by Stevoman on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:55 pm

We aren't at that stage yet, but hell yes. That is fantastic info. I'll use this page as a referral when the time comes. Thank you man

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting myself from last year pointing to the thread from the prior year:
Bvest wrote:
Rather than repeat myself, here's what I (and Kalvano) said last year. Specifically re:

Crespi
Palacios
Rogers
Bridge
Ryan
Anderson
Thornburg
Gaba
Martinez

The Link
Oh yeah, and this: I posted my 1L outlines in the law student forum. (Profs covered: Anderson, Thornburg, Palacios, Forrester, Ryan, Bloom)
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Stevoman wrote:Yes, unless you're the super-social type, your section group will be far more socially active than the entire law school group.

It looks like you guys have professor assignments now, so I can start chiming in. I don't know if Kalvano or the others who graduated last year are still around TLS, but they also usually have good input on this and you can check out previous years threads for their opinions.

Martinez - Chill academic type that loves class discussions. Calls on people, but his entire lecture including every answer can be found in the "Martinez Bible," which you will no doubt locate a copy of within your first week. His exam is a standard law school essay, no tricks, and half of what you spend class discussing won't be on there.

Colangelo - I have only had him for upper level courses, but he is intense and cold calls on people a lot. I imagine he could be difficult as a 1L. Cares a lot more about theory, policy, and development of the law than most professors I have encountered at SMU.

Taylor - Neat guy who's really smart; mostly sticks to the script on reading assignment and lecture. He cold calls in that he has a list of everyone he cycles through for a day, so you'll only be on call for one or two classes each semester. His final is a series of short fact patterns and questions; unlike your other 1L exams, this one is a sprint and not a marathon. Read the questions quickly, write a 2-3 sentence answer, and move on.

Bridge - I have never had him, but from what I understand, you should be very afraid. He's supposed to be the most socratic and hardass professor when it comes to hazing 1Ls.

Palacios - Sweet old lady, but not a very exciting lecturer. Everything you need to know is on her slides, which she basically reads from in class. At the start of every class, she asks 4 review questions, which you are not allowed to write down. The final exam will consist of a word for word rehash of those review questions, plus an essay.

Jenks - This guy is awesome. He's younger and newer, but does a good job making sure you really understand what is going on. I had him for Evidence and he did lots of practice questions and such to make sure everyone had a grasp of the material. He does get a bit flustered sometimes if you ask him a question he isn't prepared for, but he always manages to eventually explain things. Has tons of war stories, literally and figuratively. His Evidence final was multiple choice, as most Evidence finals are; not sure how he will test criminal law.

Gaba - Burnt out hippie. Super smart and chill guy, and does a good job explaining things, but he talks really quiet and tends to mumble. Sit close to the front. I had him for Environmental Law and his final was a mix of "explain yourself true/false" and an essay. Pretty straightforward, no hiding the ball.

Mayo - Awesome, jolly dude. Does a great job explaining material and presenting hypos that help you understand nuances. His exam was 8 "explain yourself multiple choice" questions and was easy to complete in the allotted time.

I do not have opinions on the other professors since I've not had them, but I hear that Khan, Thornburg, and Robinson are all awesome.
i appreciate this

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Ya, that's awesome. Page 3 will be extremely important this summer.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:27 pm

BVest wrote:Quoting myself from last year pointing to the thread from the prior year:
Bvest wrote:
Rather than repeat myself, here's what I (and Kalvano) said last year. Specifically re:

Crespi
Palacios
Rogers
Bridge
Ryan
Anderson
Thornburg
Gaba
Martinez

The Link
Oh yeah, and this: I posted my 1L outlines in the law student forum. (Profs covered: Anderson, Thornburg, Palacios, Forrester, Ryan, Bloom)
thanks! 2es have forrester next year and i've heard good things. did you like her?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 pm

btw, any current students are invited to the poll as well lol. We need a higher sample for something this necessary.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Oh, and on another subject, re: apartment hunting, also consider the Knox/Henderson/Fitzhugh/Belmont area. It's halfway between Uptown and Lower Greenville (basically a $5 Uber away from both), but costs a bit less than Uptown and is a lot nicer than most places you will find on Greenville.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 pm

how bout that facebook chatter? let's keep it going.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 pm

ya if you have checked into this page you have NO excuse lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”