Texas Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
23
74%
Most likely attending
4
13%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
0
No votes
Probably not attending
0
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
0
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
4
13%
 
Total votes: 31

User avatar
ellewoods817
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Texas Class of 2018

Postby ellewoods817 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:33 am

Image

Thread for those admitted to The University of Texas School of Law class of 2018.
Congratulations, welcome to the Longhorn Family!

Links
Recently Graduated UT Law Student Taking Questions
UT Law Class of 2018 Facebook Group
Longhorn+ Facebook Group for Married/Partnered Longhorns
Housing Facebook Group
Course Schedules 2012 - Present
For interpreting the grids: the entire 1L class is split into 4 sections, and during the first semester one of your classes is split into 1/3 of the section (A, B, C, on the grid), and your LRW class is 1/4 of the section (1, 2, 3, 4, on the grid). That's why there's multiple times/professors for some classes. Second semester only LRW splits your section up. (thank's cannibalox for the links!)

TLS Class of 2018: Destinations

Attax wrote:
Yes, you can find what you need on campus yourself. The gyms you'll go to are all in the same area. Other than that, I know of few people who use the on campus libraries unless you're there super late. Basically, the places you'll need to know are:

Gyms - there are two you should be concerned with
Lifters: The Rec. It is often the least crowded, more-so in the mornings (maybe 4-5 people there). It can be accessed from the Number 7 bus and hopping off at San Jacinto and 2?th street (it is right in front of the stadium). Or, it is about a 5-10 minute walk from the law school. Last semester I was taking a class at one of the gyms and just left my stuff in my locker at the law school whenever I went.
Basketball, indoor runners (I'd recommend going outdoors because Austin is great), swimmers: Gregory. I really would not lift at Gregory. You get mostly undergrads trying to hook up, who have terrible form and don't understand the concept of switching out. The pools are great though! The outdoor lap pool is open year round, so if you are a swimmer it is available during the winter (and often empty!). The natatorium is also great, and I know of a lot of people who play basketball, racketball, and other sports such as that.

The only other place I'd really think of is the outdoor running track/lacrosse field. But all of these three are within about a 5 minute walk from one another and a quick look at a UT map will show them. I have attached a map at the bottom of this post that will highlight the important areas: the law school is indicated as such, the rec, running field, and gregory gym are circled in red. The pink circle is where you will get your ID made.

Image

Everywhere else the tour will take you will be a waste of time unless you're truly just curious.


Admitted Students Weekend
Dates: 3/26-3/27
Schedule

Noon Segway Club:
MtnGinger
ChemEng
bizzy
ellewoods
Brazil Bandit
lilith66
ITFR

2PM Segway Club:
Philippe
whosinthehouse
Shelbinole

(thanks to xylocarp for the amazing banner!)

Hook 'Em!
Last edited by ellewoods817 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:04 am, edited 23 times in total.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Checking in :)

User avatar
DrSpaceman
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby DrSpaceman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Awwwwww shucky-ducky! Just accepted via a phone call from Dean Ingram. Hook 'em!

User avatar
Eladriel
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Eladriel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Just got the call. Here we go.

User avatar
WhiskeyAndCupcakes
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:09 pm

.
Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lnick93
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby lnick93 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:13 pm

.
Last edited by lnick93 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DrSpaceman
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby DrSpaceman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 pm

Anyone hear anything about scholarships yet? What's the expected turnaround? Is three weeks of silence since my acceptance a bad thing?

1234aqwe
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby 1234aqwe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:59 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:Anyone hear anything about scholarships yet? What's the expected turnaround? Is three weeks of silence since my acceptance a bad thing?


From what I understand, it usually takes about a month - give or take - after being accepted.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 pm

2L checking in, happy to answer questions in this thread or by PM

User avatar
FairchildFLT
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby FairchildFLT » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Checking in...as long as I can ETS from the Air Force quick enough I'll be there.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:25 pm

I go to school here (1L) and can sometimes be helpful.

User avatar
cc78
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby cc78 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Just got scholarship information today. Admitted 1/14.

User avatar
Eladriel
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Eladriel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:05 pm

cc78 wrote:Just got scholarship information today. Admitted 1/14.


+1

User avatar
MtnGinger
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby MtnGinger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Does anyone that got offered a travel stipend for ASW know if we need to get pre approval like most other schools and if it will cover the cost of gas? I keep looking at the email but all it says is to go to the Admissions Office once we arrive.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:24 am

MtnGinger wrote:Does anyone that got offered a travel stipend for ASW know if we need to get pre approval like most other schools and if it will cover the cost of gas? I keep looking at the email but all it says is to go to the Admissions Office once we arrive.


How did you get your travel stipend offer??

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby El Principe » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:16 pm

UT 1L: Feel free to ask me any questions you may have; I'll answer candidly… preferably PM but I'll check this thread occasionally as well.

User avatar
MtnGinger
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby MtnGinger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:40 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
MtnGinger wrote:Does anyone that got offered a travel stipend for ASW know if we need to get pre approval like most other schools and if it will cover the cost of gas? I keep looking at the email but all it says is to go to the Admissions Office once we arrive.


How did you get your travel stipend offer??


Honestly I'm not sure I'm OOS but not URM or anything. Still trying to figure out how to use it though.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:51 pm

MtnGinger wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
MtnGinger wrote:Does anyone that got offered a travel stipend for ASW know if we need to get pre approval like most other schools and if it will cover the cost of gas? I keep looking at the email but all it says is to go to the Admissions Office once we arrive.


How did you get your travel stipend offer??


Honestly I'm not sure I'm OOS but not URM or anything. Still trying to figure out how to use it though.


Ahh ok OOS - makes sense then. I assumed since you were driving (wanted reimbursed gas) that you were in state :P

User avatar
MtnGinger
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby MtnGinger » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
MtnGinger wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
MtnGinger wrote:Does anyone that got offered a travel stipend for ASW know if we need to get pre approval like most other schools and if it will cover the cost of gas? I keep looking at the email but all it says is to go to the Admissions Office once we arrive.


How did you get your travel stipend offer??


Honestly I'm not sure I'm OOS but not URM or anything. Still trying to figure out how to use it though.


Ahh ok OOS - makes sense then. I assumed since you were driving (wanted reimbursed gas) that you were in state :P

No I'm about a 14 hour drive away but since flying is so expensive I wanted to just drive with a friend and split the gas and still have a car to explore Austin with. Hopefully they won't be too picky about how I get to asw

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Is anyone interested in splitting a hotel?

I'm flying in Wednesday and will actually be staying for a week, but any nights at a split price would be awesome. I'm also looking at AirBnB options.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Attax » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm also a 1L and apparently late to the thread, depending on when ASW is I have a couch if needed.

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby IsThisForReal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Attax wrote:I'm also a 1L and apparently late to the thread, depending on when ASW is I have a couch if needed.

It's March 26 and 27th. And I would love to call dibs on your couch, unless I can find someone to split a room with. Isn't that close to your bday? I remember looking through last year's thread and seeing something.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Attax » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Attax wrote:I'm also a 1L and apparently late to the thread, depending on when ASW is I have a couch if needed.

It's March 26 and 27th. And I would love to call dibs on your couch, unless I can find someone to split a room with. Isn't that close to your bday? I remember looking through last year's thread and seeing something.


Sure is! And dibs are yours. I know ASW can get expensive, so figured I'd offer it up. Plus I'm close to the school which will be nice for bar events.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:15 pm

if anyone is going to not do the segway tour please let me know/give me your nametag tyia

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Attax » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:20 pm

I thought segway tour was orientation? I didn't do it, but would be down as well.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest