Northwestern AJD Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
kcdc1

Silver

Re: Northwestern AJD Class of 2017

Post by kcdc1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:05 pm

checkin2014 wrote:Already posted on the "Ask law students" forum, think I should also put it here.

Class schedule is up for us (from CAESAR):

Contracts :Tiller
CLR: Christopher Martin
Civil Procedure: Redish
Property: Yuracko
Torts: Friedman

Any suggestions? Warnings? Recommended supplements?
Also, anybody with outlines (Please, pm)? (I understand there is a “outline bank”, but do AJDs have access to it?)

Thank you in advance.
There are a few Northwestern outline banks. For the summer, I'd highly recommend making use of the AJD outline bank because you'll get a lot of professor overlap. You will definitely get access to the bank, probably soon. As to the profs, we had Tiller, Martin and Redish last year. They're all super nice and invested in their students' performance.

Tiller uses a pretty straight forward approach to contracts. His PPT slides will cover most everything you need to know, but any standard supplement would probably be relevant if you'd like to read one.

CLR is CLR. No supplement/outlining necessary. I would recommend picking his brain as much as you can through the writing process. The goal is to write what your reader wants to read, so any one-on-one feedback you can get will be a plus.

The consensus about Redish is that he deviates enough from the mainstream that reading supplements is not worthwhile. I read the E&E Civ Pro, and I can confirm that it was not particularly relevant to the material we covered in class (there was more than zero overlap, but not much more). Redish will make some of his articles available as supplements, and there are some great outlines available on the AJD bank.

I've never had Yuracko or Friedman, but I know Friedman is an economics guy, so I'd expect his torts class to have at least some economic theory. For these profs, you might have more luck asking around at the Northwestern 1L/2L/3L TLS thread if you haven't already.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:19 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
checkin2014 wrote:Already posted on the "Ask law students" forum, think I should also put it here.

Class schedule is up for us (from CAESAR):

Contracts :Tiller
CLR: Christopher Martin
Civil Procedure: Redish
Property: Yuracko
Torts: Friedman

Any suggestions? Warnings? Recommended supplements?
Also, anybody with outlines (Please, pm)? (I understand there is a “outline bank”, but do AJDs have access to it?)

Thank you in advance.
There are a few Northwestern outline banks. For the summer, I'd highly recommend making use of the AJD outline bank because you'll get a lot of professor overlap. You will definitely get access to the bank, probably soon. As to the profs, we had Tiller, Martin and Redish last year. They're all super nice and invested in their students' performance.

Tiller uses a pretty straight forward approach to contracts. His PPT slides will cover most everything you need to know, but any standard supplement would probably be relevant if you'd like to read one.

CLR is CLR. No supplement/outlining necessary. I would recommend picking his brain as much as you can through the writing process. The goal is to write what your reader wants to read, so any one-on-one feedback you can get will be a plus.

The consensus about Redish is that he deviates enough from the mainstream that reading supplements is not worthwhile. I read the E&E Civ Pro, and I can confirm that it was not particularly relevant to the material we covered in class (there was more than zero overlap, but not much more). Redish will make some of his articles available as supplements, and there are some great outlines available on the AJD bank.

I've never had Yuracko or Friedman, but I know Friedman is an economics guy, so I'd expect his torts class to have at least some economic theory. For these profs, you might have more luck asking around at the Northwestern 1L/2L/3L TLS thread if you haven't already.
Thanks a lot, kcdc1!!

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Echo kcdc - that's a fair assessment. Tiller's fine; Martin's super invested, responsive to drafting questions, and an all-around nice guy (just named Curriculum Dean too); and Redish is a big deal (larger than life persona, but brilliant/hilarious/skilled lecturer). Had Yuracko for a seminar elective (not property) where she was fantastic. She's like a wise, gentle sage (also was Interim Dean of the law school between Van Zandt and Rodriguez). Another good draw.

Got nothing on Friedman - but torts is like the most straightforward 1L class doctrinally, so hard to mess that up.

If you have any issues tracking down materials for Yuracko/Friedman, just reach out to current 3L AJDs once class starts and we can do some digging.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:19 am

wojo98 wrote:Echo kcdc - that's a fair assessment. Tiller's fine; Martin's super invested, responsive to drafting questions, and an all-around nice guy (just named Curriculum Dean too); and Redish is a big deal (larger than life persona, but brilliant/hilarious/skilled lecturer). Had Yuracko for a seminar elective (not property) where she was fantastic. She's like a wise, gentle sage (also was Interim Dean of the law school between Van Zandt and Rodriguez). Another good draw.

Got nothing on Friedman - but torts is like the most straightforward 1L class doctrinally, so hard to mess that up.

If you have any issues tracking down materials for Yuracko/Friedman, just reach out to current 3L AJDs once class starts and we can do some digging.
Thank you, wojo98.

qwertee

New

Post by qwertee » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:19 am

Checking in. Any patent/ip AJDs with tips on bidding strategy for Loyola's PLIP? Bids are due Sunday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:11 pm

qwertee wrote:Checking in. Any patent/ip AJDs with tips on bidding strategy for Loyola's PLIP? Bids are due Sunday.
General thoughts:

(1) Use all your bids. Order does not matter. Employers that you do not bid on cannot see your resume, and if you get more screeners than you want, you can always cancel some.

(2) Very generally speaking, boutiques will care more about your undergrad major and undergrad grades, whereas biglaw firms will care more about law school grades and may not even ask for your undergrad transcript. Also, general practice firms tend to hire mostly for litigation whereas boutiques will look for a mix of prosecution and litigation. These trends will obviously vary firm-to-firm.

(3) Don't count on interviewing with the same firm at PLIP and OCI. Some firms have policies against it, some won't like it, and some won't care at all. This means different things for your bidding strategy depending on your level of interest in practicing patent law.

(3a) If you're definitely interested in patent law, I think it's better to take the PLIP screener than it is to take the OCI screener. The patent practice groups show up to PLIP looking to hire for however many slots they need to fill. At PLIP, you get the first crack at those slots, and you get to conduct your screener with a person from the patent group. This helps you learn more about what working at that firm would be like, and if you get a callback, it means that someone in the patent group recommended you. Having a vote in your favor is a small plus for converting callbacks to offers.

(3b) If you're not sure about practicing patent law, I'd bid mostly on firms that will not be attending OCI. I'd still recommend spending all of your bids tho - if nothing else, it's interviewing practice, and you can always cancel if you have more screeners than you want.

(4) You'll only have 2 grades (contracts and negotiation I think) at the screener stage, so interviews will focus on your work experience and/or prior academic credentials. Also, I felt that the Northwestern prestige factor was a bigger plus at PLIP than it was at OCI. You never really know how school prestige is factoring into decisions, but at PLIP, I got comments like, "Northwestern? That's a fantastic school!" and "That B+ is a great grade at a school like Northwestern!" At OCI, Northwestern's name was definitely helpful for getting you in the door, but you needed to work a little harder to sell yourself. (Note: My experience is probably informed in part by interviewing with somewhat less prestigious/snooty firms at PLIP.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”