2019 July California Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
nappingwolf

New

2019 July California Bar

Postby nappingwolf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:01 am

Hi all, didn't see an official thread for the upcoming July bar so thought I'd start one.

I'm a repeat taker working full-time (and if that doesn't make you feel better about your situation, the last time I took the CA bar was in 2012...yep, I know). I have a long list of reasons why it'll be that much harder for me, but I decided to burn my excuses and just dive right in. YOLO, right? :roll: I'm just beginning my climb up the bar prep mountain, spent the last month very casually re-acclimating myself to the topics. But after reading some racehorse Evidence questions today I promptly wondered if I've made a mistake and should withdraw from taking the bar altogether. :oops:

Anyway, looking forward to the discussion here. And to passing!

nappingwolf

New

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby nappingwolf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Also wanted to add that I'm self-studying. Took barbri before my first try and the one-size-fits-all didn't work for me. I felt like a deer in headlights the entire time, going through the motions perfectly tho because I'm an ace at passive studying.

My roadblock has been the MBEs. Writing was a strength, my scaled written for F12 was 1489. I don't even want to say what my MBE score was because it hurts. I've always had this impractical fear of practice questions - even in law school - as if the stuff I learned/memorized would disappear. So in the past, I approached prep simply by rote memorizing EVERYTHING... I know why I didn't pass. I suck at preparation and have gotten by my entire life just winging it but I'm here to learn to change that.

For a general law refresher, I'm using:
barbri Conviser Mini J18/F19

For essays:
Mary Basick's Essay Exam Writing - great attack sheets, will probably use this to memorize later
Jeff Adachi's Bar Breaker (old) - great essay approach tips
Will be signing up for BarEssays

For MBE's:
S&T - started this last month and am at like 55%
PMBR's red and blue books (old)
Will be signing up for Adaptibar

For PT's:
PTs were a strength, got a 70 on one with no practice beforehand. But with the new 90-min format I'll have to do a few full PTs

I've given up on outlining. I love busywork, makes me feel like I'm being productive but I end up overwhelmed with like 38 outlines and then I feel compelled to ditch practice questions and start memorizing because of the sheer amount of material in front of me. I'm scared to death of not doing that because that's my comfort zone, but need to truly learn the law this time. Hoping that practice brings on some natural memorization, like some of you have said. And I suppose I'll focus on memorization 2 weeks before the bar when I plan to take some time off of work. Feel free to chime in if any of this could use tweaking.

lawlady4999

New

Postby lawlady4999 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:37 pm

I’m also a Cal Bar repeat taker. Last time I took the exam was in in 2010. Now that the exam is just 2 days, I’m more optimistic about passing this time.

For the MBE’s, you may want to consider getting the Critical Pass Flashcards. The cards are color-coded by subject with concise, well-written rules & elements. For me, these flashcards work better for MBE study than using outlines. Also, found that Adaptibar and S&T are helping to increase my practice scores.

nappingwolf

New

Postby nappingwolf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:56 pm

lawlady4999 wrote:I’m also a Cal Bar repeat taker. Last time I took the exam was in in 2010. Now that the exam is just 2 days, I’m more optimistic about passing this time.

For the MBE’s, you may want to consider getting the Critical Pass Flashcards. The cards are color-coded by subject with concise, well-written rules & elements. For me, these flashcards work better for MBE study than using outlines. Also, found that Adaptibar and S&T are helping to increase my practice scores.

Good to know I’m not the only gap retaker. I’m not much of a flashcards person (I like to see everything on one page aka outlines) but I’ll check out Critical Pass. Have you noticed any noteworthy changes in law since your last exam?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?