NY Third Department Admissions

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
LLT

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:15 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby LLT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 am

I read that in the second department, character affidavits (and employment affidavits?) are only valid 60 days before submission of application. I don’t see any such rule for the third department, but I hope to double check with those who recently applied! Is that restriction applicable to the third department as well? I prepared my employment affidavits quite a while back and I’m now living overseas, so I’m worried...

Thank you so much in advance!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:11 pm

I submitted on 11/1, got my confirmation a few days later, and have heard nothing!! Does anyone have any news? It's hard to make plans for the new year when they're keeping us up in the air like this. It's been 7 weeks and haven't got an interview/admission date or anything.

Thanks!

bwh8813

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby bwh8813 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:55 pm

LLT wrote:I read that in the second department, character affidavits (and employment affidavits?) are only valid 60 days before submission of application. I don’t see any such rule for the third department, but I hope to double check with those who recently applied! Is that restriction applicable to the third department as well? I prepared my employment affidavits quite a while back and I’m now living overseas, so I’m worried...

Thank you so much in advance!


Things could have changed in the two years since I was admitted, but then it was only the 2nd department that had the 60 day rule (which only applied to the character affidavits, not employment). Read the application instructions - if they don't say anything about 60 days then it doesn't apply.

keepgoing2016

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby keepgoing2016 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Neilt001 wrote:I submitted on 11/1, got my confirmation a few days later, and have heard nothing!! Does anyone have any news? It's hard to make plans for the new year when they're keeping us up in the air like this. It's been 7 weeks and haven't got an interview/admission date or anything.

Thanks!


I submitted mine on Oct 18 and received confirmation of receipt the following day, and nothing since. Called them this week and I’m apparently still in the queue for review and they can’t give a specific timeframe as to when I’d expect to hear back as they are experiencing very high volumes and have a back log. I will check in again with them in the new year!

User avatar
White Dwarf

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Got an email on Thursday saying my interview and admission would be January 17. Submitted my applications mid-November.

CBlaw

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:43 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby CBlaw » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:54 pm

submitted at the end of November (3rd week I believe). Also had to send it two different things after my initial application. One was something I had remembered the other was something that was requested from me. Got my interview date yesterday and its set for Jan 17.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many guest we can bring to attend?

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:01 pm

keepgoing2016 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:I submitted on 11/1, got my confirmation a few days later, and have heard nothing!! Does anyone have any news? It's hard to make plans for the new year when they're keeping us up in the air like this. It's been 7 weeks and haven't got an interview/admission date or anything.

Thanks!


I submitted mine on Oct 18 and received confirmation of receipt the following day, and nothing since. Called them this week and I’m apparently still in the queue for review and they can’t give a specific timeframe as to when I’d expect to hear back as they are experiencing very high volumes and have a back log. I will check in again with them in the new year!


Great thanks! It sounds like there's some variation, like people later than us getting in earlier, and people earlier than us not in yet. Hmm. I have lots of travel plans so it would be really nice to know asap!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Got an email on Thursday saying my interview and admission would be January 17. Submitted my applications mid-November.


Hey thanks. Question - is your interview and admission really the same day? Or is it interview on 17th and admission shortly after?
Thanks!

User avatar
White Dwarf

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby White Dwarf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am

Neilt001 wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Got an email on Thursday saying my interview and admission would be January 17. Submitted my applications mid-November.


Hey thanks. Question - is your interview and admission really the same day? Or is it interview on 17th and admission shortly after?
Thanks!

Same day. Interview at 9 am, ceremony at 12. I think this is common practice in the 3rd Department if you don't have any red flags in your application.

PuzzleBubble

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby PuzzleBubble » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:38 am

My application was received in December 6. Does anyone have any idea if my interview could be scheduled in January?

deacon

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby deacon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 am

According to the Third Department, only the candidates who passed the exam in July will be scheduled to be interviewed and admitted in January. This might be the reason for the people who passed the exam before than July 2018 but haven't heard from the department yet.

PS:I remember seeing this statement somewhere in the forms/website but couldn't find it to refer now

keepgoing2016

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby keepgoing2016 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:50 pm

deacon wrote:According to the Third Department, only the candidates who passed the exam in July will be scheduled to be interviewed and admitted in January. This might be the reason for the people who passed the exam before than July 2018 but haven't heard from the department yet.

PS:I remember seeing this statement somewhere in the forms/website but couldn't find it to refer now



Yup that’s right - they just confirmed the same to me today by email. They have reserved dates in January for July 2018 bar takers and as I took the bar in Feb 2017 I am still in the queue for review, 10 weeks on..I guess it’s a waiting game now.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 pm

keepgoing2016 wrote:
deacon wrote:According to the Third Department, only the candidates who passed the exam in July will be scheduled to be interviewed and admitted in January. This might be the reason for the people who passed the exam before than July 2018 but haven't heard from the department yet.

PS:I remember seeing this statement somewhere in the forms/website but couldn't find it to refer now



Yup that’s right - they just confirmed the same to me today by email. They have reserved dates in January for July 2018 bar takers and as I took the bar in Feb 2017 I am still in the queue for review, 10 weeks on..I guess it’s a waiting game now.


Oh how annoying!!! So if I wrote in Feb 2018, then those who wrote *after* me (July) get to go first? That's frustrating.

Anyone understand the logic in that?

User avatar
White Dwarf

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am

Neilt001 wrote:Oh how annoying!!! So if I wrote in Feb 2018, then those who wrote *after* me (July) get to go first? That's frustrating.

Anyone understand the logic in that?


Thy don't want a huge backlog delaying the new class of law school grads from being admitted. If it was all chronological, it would take a year for new grads to be admitted.

Why don't they just add more admissions ceremonies, you ask? It's NY state government. They're terrible at everything.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:07 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:Oh how annoying!!! So if I wrote in Feb 2018, then those who wrote *after* me (July) get to go first? That's frustrating.

Anyone understand the logic in that?


Thy don't want a huge backlog delaying the new class of law school grads from being admitted. If it was all chronological, it would take a year for new grads to be admitted.

Why don't they just add more admissions ceremonies, you ask? It's NY state government. They're terrible at everything.


Ugh, I think you're right. The Feb sitting is much smaller so I guess we need to wait for the glut of July takers to go through before we do. Ah well... would be nice to receive an update email from em. Maybe I'll call and ask for a ballpark in terms of timing.

Thanks!

deacon

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby deacon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 pm

I have just received an e-mail saying that "scheduling for the January ceremony is closed. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be scheduled for the earliest available date."

I guess the earliest available date is July 2019 though I have seen on the website that " Successful applicants are sworn in before the Court at large ceremonies in January and June of each year, and at smaller ceremonies held throughout the year."

Maybe there is a small chance we might be sworn in before July.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:15 pm

deacon wrote:I have just received an e-mail saying that "scheduling for the January ceremony is closed. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be scheduled for the earliest available date."

I guess the earliest available date is July 2019 though I have seen on the website that " Successful applicants are sworn in before the Court at large ceremonies in January and June of each year, and at smaller ceremonies held throughout the year."

Maybe there is a small chance we might be sworn in before July.


Oh it'll definitely be sooner than that. They have ceremonies each month and so if you miss Jan, Feb will be your next shot.

See the term calendar here, which shows both the dates for small monthly ceremonies, and those for the larger ones: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/ad3/2019_ ... _Terms.pdf

I called 3d this week and they said there's a backlog, but they'll get to us soon. Here's hoping!

MichaelJackson

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby MichaelJackson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:02 am

I haven't even done MPRE. Just did NYLE in December. At least you're not from Australia where the NYLE was 3am Melbourne time. And I have to fly to Honolulu to take the MPRE. Damn it.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby Neilt001 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

MichaelJackson wrote:I haven't even done MPRE. Just did NYLE in December. At least you're not from Australia where the NYLE was 3am Melbourne time. And I have to fly to Honolulu to take the MPRE. Damn it.


Hey! I'm from melbourne too, but luckily was living in Bermuda at the time of the NYLE so the time zone was just an hour off. My aussie mates had to do the 3am thing too. That's so rough. And flying to hawaii to write the MPRE is rough too! (Again I was in Bda so only 1.5hr flight to NYC to write MPRE).

Best of luck!

fordham_636

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby fordham_636 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:23 pm

For all of you out there who submitted your application in November to early January, can you please provide any updates? For those of you still waiting, when did you submit your application? For those of you who have received your interview date, can you please provide details regarding the timeline (i.e., date when you submitted your application and when you received an e-mail indicating that your application had been processed and you were given an interview date)???

I am starting to get a lot of pressure at work to get admitted already, or at least provide some concrete updates or idea of when I'll be admitted. Unfortunately, the third department isn't providing any specific information. :(

Any help, feedback, or response would be greatly appreciated.

fordham_636

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm

NY Third Department Admissions Updates Please

Postby fordham_636 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:28 pm

For all of you out there who submitted your application in November to early January, can you please provide any updates? For those of you still waiting, when did you submit your application? For those of you who have received your interview date, can you please provide details regarding the timeline (i.e., date when you submitted your application and when you received an e-mail indicating that your application had been processed and you were given an interview date)???

I am starting to get a lot of pressure at work to get admitted already, or at least provide some concrete updates or idea of when I'll be admitted. Unfortunately, the third department isn't providing any specific information. :(

Any help, feedback, or response would be greatly appreciated.

DalRock

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:14 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions Updates Please

Postby DalRock » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Can everyone post their experiences and timeline of their past or current application at New York Third Judicial Department?

1. When did you pass the bar exam?
2. When did you submit your application?
3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application?
4. When were you assigned an interviewer?
5. Thoughts on the interview?
6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.?
7. Anyone not pass the interview stage?
8. When was the swearing in ceremony?

Answer:

1. July 2018
2. December 17, 2018
3. Yes. Last supplemental document was received on January 24, 2019.
4. January 25, 2019
5. ~
6. ~
7. ~
8. March 21, 2019

hsy

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:06 am

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby hsy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:56 am

I submitted my application on the second week of Dec. I was not a July 2018 bar examinee (I took an earlier exam) so I knew I wasn't going to be admitted soon, but I recently got feedback from the Third Dept. that I most likely would not be admitted before May which is later than I expected. Apparently the Third Dept. is experiencing a lot of backlog.

BrazilianAttyNYC

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby BrazilianAttyNYC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 pm

I submitted my application in the first week of November 2018, and have not heard anything besides the automatic receipt confirmation email. I took the Feb. 2018 bar, and had to finish my 50-hour Pro Bono Requirement, hence my delay in submitting my application. I've contacted the Third Dept. requesting an update, but did not receive any useful information. I was told my application would be reviewed in due course, and nothing else.

Does anyone know whether it would be better to switch my application to the First Dept.? I know reside in NYC and have not done so yet because I did not want to delay the process even further. Has anyone done this?

Thanks all!

deacon

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Postby deacon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 pm

BrazilianAttyNYC wrote:I submitted my application in the first week of November 2018, and have not heard anything besides the automatic receipt confirmation email. I took the Feb. 2018 bar, and had to finish my 50-hour Pro Bono Requirement, hence my delay in submitting my application. I've contacted the Third Dept. requesting an update, but did not receive any useful information. I was told my application would be reviewed in due course, and nothing else.

Does anyone know whether it would be better to switch my application to the First Dept.? I know reside in NYC and have not done so yet because I did not want to delay the process even further. Has anyone done this?

Thanks all!


You need to update your address either way. When you update it, I think they will transfer your application to the First Dept.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests