Pass Part of the Bar / Fail Other Part

dans1006

Pass Part of the Bar / Fail Other Part

Postby dans1006 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 am

Has anyone dealt with this or have any insight on how this works? I know there are only some jurisdictions where this is possible.

In Kentucky, you can pass the essays and fail the MBE (most common type of failure) or vice versa. When this is the case, you only have to retake the part you failed. That is currently how it is in Kentucky, but they're considering changing it. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone and if anyone could provide me with how you'll be notified about which part you passed and which part you failed.

Thanks for any insights!

yuzu

Re: Pass Part of the Bar / Fail Other Part

Postby yuzu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm

In (I think) every jurisdiction, unsuccessful takers are given their essay and MBE scores by mail when results are released. In Kentucky, in order to pass, an applicant must receive a scaled score of 132 on the MBE and receive 75% on the essay section. Thus you'd just have to compare your scores with those cutoffs.

DC has a similar thing that allows people who have failed the exam (in any jurisdiction) to keep their old MBE score and take only the essays.

hockeyman969

Re: Pass Part of the Bar / Fail Other Part

Postby hockeyman969 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm

In Florida, you can fail one part and pass overall because they go on the law of averages. A bunch of people on my page failed Florida Portion but had Killer MBE and passed.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”