NY Third Department - Is the Swearing In Optional?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ArtistOfManliness

Silver

NY Third Department - Is the Swearing In Optional?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:57 am

For the Third Department, is attending the swearing in ceremony optional? So can I do the C&F interview and then leave? There are multiple days of interviews leading up to the swearing-in day and I'd rather not get stuck interviewing on the first day and have to hang out in Albany until the last day.

Anyone from 2015 shed some light on what happens?

NM7

New

Re: NY Third Department - Is the Swearing In Optional?

Postby NM7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:56 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:For the Third Department, is attending the swearing in ceremony optional? So can I do the C&F interview and then leave? There are multiple days of interviews leading up to the swearing-in day and I'd rather not get stuck interviewing on the first day and have to hang out in Albany until the last day.

Although almost everyone is handed the bar certificate right after their interview, I don't know a single person who just up and left Albany after that and never came back, lol.

As far as I know, the oath is mandatory. It's not just ceremonial. You have to go and sign your name right before you do it, not to mention that the bar certificate actually says "X, having taken the oath...., is admitted to practice as a Counselor and Attorney at Law...".

I was lucky. My interview and swearing in were on the same day. And you may get lucky, too so who knows.

Bottom line: it's actually gratifying to stand with your right hand held high basking in the glory of finally being done with this chapter of your life. Take the oath. Take some pictures. And if you're stuck in Albany for a day or two, NYC is just a train ride away. Congrats!

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:52 am

NM7 wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:For the Third Department, is attending the swearing in ceremony optional? So can I do the C&F interview and then leave? There are multiple days of interviews leading up to the swearing-in day and I'd rather not get stuck interviewing on the first day and have to hang out in Albany until the last day.

Although almost everyone is handed the bar certificate right after their interview, I don't know a single person who just up and left Albany after that and never came back, lol.

As far as I know, the oath is mandatory. It's not just ceremonial. You have to go and sign your name right before you do it, not to mention that the bar certificate actually says "X, having taken the oath...., is admitted to practice as a Counselor and Attorney at Law...".

I was lucky. My interview and swearing in were on the same day. And you may get lucky, too so who knows.

Bottom line: it's actually gratifying to stand with your right hand held high basking in the glory of finally being done with this chapter of your life. Take the oath. Take some pictures. And if you're stuck in Albany for a day or two, NYC is just a train ride away. Congrats!

Thanks. And I forgot about NYC... excellent point!

NM7

New

Postby NM7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:05 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
NM7 wrote:

Thanks. And I forgot about NYC... excellent point!

You're welcome! Just checked previous emails from the 3rd Department and they actually refer to the oath as the "mandatory oath" so I can officially confirm this :) Enjoy!

iwantmybar

Bronze

Postby iwantmybar » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:27 am

It is mandatory but i'm lucky, my interview and the oath are the same day.

Personally i'm flying from france to ny just to be sworn...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�