Curve Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
capelm

New

Curve

Post by capelm » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:45 am

Ok so can someone explain this curve to me...I need a 135 to pass in my state, but I just really am curious what raw score this would translate into.

Also, I heard states can do their own curve as well, does anyone know if this is true?

styr

New

Re: Curve

Post by styr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:42 am

capelm wrote:Ok so can someone explain this curve to me...I need a 135 to pass in my state, but I just really am curious what raw score this would translate into.

Also, I heard states can do their own curve as well, does anyone know if this is true?
I've heard that some NCBE tests are normalized relative to other test-takers in the same jurisdiction before scores are equalized on their multi-year standard.

As for raw scores, the MBE raw score is at least 10 points under the scaled score, accounting for experimental questions. More points may be added for discarded questions. I'm not sure what leads NCBE to discard something.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 pm

capelm wrote:Ok so can someone explain this curve to me...I need a 135 to pass in my state, but I just really am curious what raw score this would translate into.

I'd guess that it's about ~65% of the questions correct.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:46 pm

are you testing in Michigan?

SuperSpartan88

New

Post by SuperSpartan88 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:17 am

UMich11 wrote:

It sounds like they are. I am as well and I feel like the essays went well but the MBE could really go either way. I felt like most questions I was just kind of narrowing answer choices down so it was like a 50/50 shot. I know that a 135 MBE is below average, but does anyone know what that typically translates into as a raw score?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capelm

New

Post by capelm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:06 am

UMich11 wrote:

No I am in South Dakota. The state has no transparency and finding any information about about anything for this exam or past exams is like pulling your own teeth out.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by BVest » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:11 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”