California February 2016 Bar Exam (Westside For Life)

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy

California February 2016 Bar Exam (Westside For Life)

Postby BrokenMouse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Rekt

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Sun May 15, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

storge

Re: California February 2016 Bar Exam - California Love Part 2

Postby storge » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Agreed.

Guess we can share our misery during this wait under this new and improved board. Probably for the better that we don't continue reminiscing about the Qs. Anyone go anywhere fun post exam? How do we stop thinking and dreaming about the exam? I def didn't have this much difficulty forgetting about the exam after July, but struggling this time around :shock:

Jimmyg08

Postby Jimmyg08 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for starting this. The bad thing is the more I think about my essays the more I think I will be retaking it again. I was super confident in July and had I scored 5 points higher I wouldn't be here but I am. Hopefully my practice pays off because I'm ready to move on. So is my family and kids!!

Thanks BM

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:36 pm

An important piece of history has been lost. I'm going to drink some wine so I can drown in my sorrows or be uncharacteristically cheery or various combinations thereof. In fact, I have already started drinking

BrokenMouse, that new avatar really jives with me man.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:59 pm

I am pretty sure I had a question in the previous thread, but my PTBD is preventing me from really caring. Cookie Monster didn't even leave us crumbs this time.

legalize-it

Re: California February 2016 Bar Exam - California Love Part 2 (Don't discuss specific questions)

Postby legalize-it » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 am

It would be nice to get clarification on this...I thought we couldn't discuss MBE questions/answers only, but not sure why Essay questions are banned? Everyone discusses those, from the Daily Journal to the all the bar prep companies. Also, the Bar doesn't require us to sign a confidentiality or non-disclosure, they actually ask us, as the authors, to give them permission for the dissemination. They have Youtube videos on question and answer breakdowns. Discussing the essay questions was very helpful to understanding the angles

b2016

Re: California February 2016 Bar Exam - California Love Part 2 (Don't discuss specific questions)

Postby b2016 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:59 am

i think mbe discussion got us into trouble not essays.
now we sit and wait

legalize-it

Postby legalize-it » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:19 am

b2016 wrote:i think mbe discussion got us into trouble not essays.
now we sit and wait

Lol! I, along with most others, deleted or edited anything involving that.

But, this leads me to a new question: Does anyone have strong or effective PT techniques, beyond the read the instructions or pick the case law that fits? Most get that, but what I'm referring to is an inventory or organizing system, or some type of method that helps you eliminate the unnecessary facts & reading, or extract the rule only. I've heard some people mention something similar and it helps them save time for the writing and eliminate wasting time by reading every piece of information.
Any thoughts or shares on this?
Thank you in advance!

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:35 am

legalize-it wrote:
now we sit and wait

But, this leads me to a new question: Does anyone have strong or effective PT techniques, beyond the read the instructions or pick the case law that fits? Most get that, but what I'm referring to is an inventory or organizing system, or some type of method that helps you eliminate the unnecessary facts & reading, or extract the rule only. I've heard some people mention something similar and it helps them save time for the writing and eliminate wasting time by reading every piece of information.
Thank you in advance!

Some people start at the beginning with the File. What I like to do is pull out the rules first to provide context for the myriad of facts. There are fewer rule statements than there are facts to remember.

Find out how you perform better. When in doubt, you could just start with the smaller booklet (which you can find out before the exam even begins).

Going with the outline-first approach: I type out the rules (don't be afraid to "plagiarize"--directly quote if you can), then go through the facts using the rules as a lens. Now I know what's relevant and what's not. If a fact would help you analogize/distinguish/argue using a rule, then you underline/highlight it.

You still won't know exactly what's the best facts to use yet; keep marking them. If you see a fact that is a slam dunk key fact, then you can make extra marks (including a dog ear on the page) so you know to come back to it.

Then, underneath each rule statement, you can start listing facts. An outline could look like this:
(+)CASE 1
RULE
- important fact
- relevant-ish fact
- more related facts that you could throw in
RULE
- related fact
- etc.

(-)CASE 2
RULE
- anticipated facts from opponent
- supporting facts
- more facts

(+) and (-) meaning you could use it to analogize or distinguish (assuming an objective memo).

Or if you prefer to just start typing, just list out the rules at least and get a general gist of what the facts are like (good if the file is small). After reading the file and marking it up, you should remember the facts sort of. You can always go back and flip through.

CASE 1
- RULE
- RULE
-- some important fact
- RULE

CASE 2
- RULE
- RULE

legalize-it

Postby legalize-it » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:55 am

a male human wrote:
legalize-it wrote:
now we sit and wait

Thank you in advance!

Some people start at the beginning with the File. What I like to do is pull out the rules first to provide context for the myriad of facts. There are fewer rule statements than there are facts to remember.

Find out how you perform better. When in doubt, you could just start with the smaller booklet (which you can find out before the exam even begins).

Going with the outline-first approach: I type out the rules (don't be afraid to "plagiarize"--directly quote if you can), then go through the facts using the rules as a lens. Now I know what's relevant and what's not. If a fact would help you analogize/distinguish/argue using a rule, then you underline/highlight it.

You still won't know exactly what's the best facts to use yet; keep marking them. If you see a fact that is a slam dunk key fact, then you can make extra marks (including a dog ear on the page) so you know to come back to it.

Then, underneath each rule statement, you can start listing facts. An outline could look like this:
(+)CASE 1
RULE
- important fact
- relevant-ish fact
- more related facts that you could throw in
RULE
- related fact
- etc.

(-)CASE 2
RULE
- anticipated facts from opponent
- supporting facts
- more facts

(+) and (-) meaning you could use it to analogize or distinguish (assuming an objective memo).

Or if you prefer to just start typing, just list out the rules at least and get a general gist of what the facts are like (good if the file is small). After reading the file and marking it up, you should remember the facts sort of. You can always go back and flip through.

CASE 1
- RULE
- RULE
-- some important fact
- RULE

CASE 2
- RULE
- RULE

This is nice MaleHuman! I have something similar but listed under the call of question. So, do you read the library case facts at all or just skip them? Also, "the smaller booklet" what is it and where do we get it?
thank you, this is helpful! :D

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:33 pm

legalize-it wrote:This is nice MaleHuman! I have something similar but listed under the call of question. So, do you read the library case facts at all or just skip them? Also, "the smaller booklet" what is it and where do we get it?
thank you, this is helpful! :D

Yep! I would still read through the case facts to find the rule of law (as well as note any key facts you want to use to describe the case later).

The smaller booklet merely refers to one of the File or the Library, whichever one is thinner. By "smaller" I meant the one with less content in it :p

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:03 pm

its probably better anyway that that forum got deleted. Everyone got everything out of their systems and now no one will get in trouble.

BrokenMouse

Postby BrokenMouse » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6TimeFailure

Postby 6TimeFailure » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:49 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:I was able to take some time off work after the bar and I had planned on a trip. But that got cancelled and now I am just gaming like this is the last time I'll ever play another game (which is probably true). PS4, XB1, PC, you name it I probably have it.

How's everyone else spending their time until May? Jobs? Vacation? Trips? Plans?

I like to work on cars and race them at my local race track.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:I was able to take some time off work after the bar and I had planned on a trip. But that got cancelled and now I am just gaming like this is the last time I'll ever play another game (which is probably true). PS4, XB1, PC, you name it I probably have it.

How's everyone else spending their time until May? Jobs? Vacation? Trips? Plans?

Which games? I wanted to get into destiny on xb1 but it just feels repetitive now.

I've just been sending out resumes and worked on one cover letter, though only sent it to one firm so far. I always have a spot at interning at the DA's office if I want to

Jimmyg08

Postby Jimmyg08 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 am

Going back to work on March 7th - lots of family time during the week between the bar and work and moments drifting into the abyss of how I really did.....ahhhhh

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:03 am

I had to go right back to work full time that monday, so I just did a three day meditation on my own. It forced me to relax enough to be able to work with the requisite enthusiasm for the 8-9 hours Im there.

BrokenMouse

Postby BrokenMouse » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:49 am

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharter1978

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 pm

I've been eating a lot of snap pea crisps and marveling at how my acne is calming down. I guess stress really is a thing. I'm also job hunting. I hate, hate, hate to admit it, but I think I do better when I have to work. I got my best grades in law school when I was working, I got my best grades in undergrad when I was working. It sounds so logical to not work, but I think it may leave me with too much free time.

Oh....and I have a binge weekend planned with HOC!

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:09 pm

How many characters did you guys get in the PT's? I had about 14k on the first and about 20k on the second (was copying and pasting many of the same facts).

BrokenMouse

Postby BrokenMouse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharter1978

Postby rcharter1978 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:12 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
Raiden wrote:How many characters did you guys get in the PT's? I had about 14k on the first and about 20k on the second (was copying and pasting many of the same facts).

I forgot the general topic for the first one. What was it again? I know the second was about post-marriage dissolution contracts.

Objective Memo for the bar as to whether they could charge homegirl for being shady, shady, shady with that "retainer!"

I hope thats not too specific...sorry if it is.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:13 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
Raiden wrote:How many characters did you guys get in the PT's? I had about 14k on the first and about 20k on the second (was copying and pasting many of the same facts).

I forgot the general topic for the first one. What was it again? I know the second was about post-marriage dissolution contracts.

It was about being an attorney for the state bar and looking into the 4 questions the instructions asked, seeing if the claims were viable

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:49 pm

And by the way- lol @ the idea of civ pro being tested on that exam. I do not think that was civ pro.

Whenever civ pro comes up, the call of the question is different.

"Would person 1 prevail on a complaint against person 2 for (cause of action)?"

That is not a civ pro question... It has to be something different like:

"Person 1 filed a complaint against person 2 for (cause of action). Person 2 files a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction and venue. How would the court rule on person 2's motion to dismiss?"

Civ pro has never been tested any other way than this. If it has- please post the exam year and essay #. Thanks.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:40 pm

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:And by the way- lol @ the idea of civ pro being tested on that exam. I do not think that was civ pro.

Whenever civ pro comes up, the call of the question is different.

"Would person 1 prevail on a complaint against person 2 for (cause of action)?"

That is not a civ pro question... It has to be something different like:

"Person 1 filed a complaint against person 2 for (cause of action). Person 2 files a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction and venue. How would the court rule on person 2's motion to dismiss?"

Civ pro has never been tested any other way than this. If it has- please post the exam year and essay #. Thanks.

Definitely wasn't civ pro, but I think quite a few people got tripped up on that question. Perhaps the graders will be kinder grading that essay. It was just hard to believe there would be two questions on the same subject in the same essay session.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”