July 2015 NY Bar MEGATHREAD Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
myrtlewinston

Bronze

Re: July 2015 NY Bar MEGATHREAD

Post by myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:17 pm

victortsoi wrote:freers notes were sufficient with a few days of studying to get through LS civ pro, im sure for the bar itll be OK. similar to evidence, there are a few basic things to just "know".

Question- how many words, on average, are NY essays supposed to be?

Thanks! If only the other lectures were like his.

I don't know the answer to your question. Sorry.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't understand NY Distinctions. Kaplan has a separate video showing us the difference between, e.g., MBE Torts and NY Torts. How is this relevant for us for NY essays?

I thought we just apply NY law in NY essays unless a federal law supersedes it?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:07 pm

orangecup wrote:I don't understand NY Distinctions. Kaplan has a separate video showing us the difference between, e.g., MBE Torts and NY Torts. How is this relevant for us for NY essays?

You need to know the MBE stuff for the MBE, and the NY stuff for the NY essays/multiple choice.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
orangecup wrote:I don't understand NY Distinctions. Kaplan has a separate video showing us the difference between, e.g., MBE Torts and NY Torts. How is this relevant for us for NY essays?

You need to know the MBE stuff for the MBE, and the NY stuff for the NY essays/multiple choice.
So in NY Essays we're not going to be asked to compare MBE rules to NY rules?

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:26 pm

My understanding is that unlike in law school, no points for saying "the majority rule is x while new york, espouses the minority rule which says y". Just say "in new york Y". Although to be fair, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how these essays are different than ls issue spotters, but there is a difference in how they want you to approach writing answers. More BLL regurgitation, thats for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:28 pm

victortsoi wrote:My understanding is that unlike in law school, no points for saying "the majority rule is x while new york, espouses the minority rule which says y". Just say "in new york Y". Although to be fair, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how these essays are different than ls issue spotters, but there is a difference in how they want you to approach writing answers. More BLL regurgitation, thats for sure.
Hmm, okay. So why does Kaplan, in it's essay test frequency summary have different headings for NY Distinctions and Torts / Crim Law / etc?

For example if you look at the NY Distinctions heading, it says the frequency count is 22/25. If you expand that heading, it says Torts is 18/25 and Contracts is 9/25. But if you look at the specific headings for Contract/Sales it says 18/25 and Torts is 17/25. Why the discrepancy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”