2015 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gaagoots

Bronze

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Post by gaagoots » Mon May 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Last edited by gaagoots on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon May 11, 2015 9:58 pm

L’Étranger wrote:
a male human wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:
a male human wrote:If you fail, you simply try again. It's merely an iteration in a work in progress, which is partially determined by luck. You WILL pass eventually (sooner the better of course).
That's fine, but if your job hangs in the balance, and you have beaucoup student loans, and you are entirely dependent on aforementioned job to pay said loans, well..it's not quite so neat and tidy.
For sure. I'm not telling anyone to take it easy. Put in the work (especially if your job or loans depends on it).

But sometimes bad things happen. What are you going to do then? You can either reframe it as a mere iteration (which I believe it is) and try again, or you could just sit and drown in a puddle of your own tears not knowing what to do. Which is more productive?

Alternatively, you could take a break or give up entirely. My original message was meant for those who are in it because they want to pass.
Dude of course I want to pass.

Where are you even coming from? I think I remember from some of your older posts that you were a repeater as well. Were you someone who kept their BL job after a retake? I don't remember your story.

In general, I'm all for keeping it positive, but there's a reality underlying everything. Yes, you can pick yourself up after failing a frustrating (and pointless?) exam but there's more going on than just that, because of the student loans.
Hey man, I understand the fear and uncertainty that goes into the slow cooking you are going through.

I'm coming from first-time failure and second-time passage. I didn't even have a BL (bar-licensed?) job to start with. I had a JD-preferred part-time job that paid $15/hour while I studied for the February 2014 bar (second time). Then I found a job in July after passing.

I didn't mean that you or anyone else don't want to pass. Like you suggested, no one wants to fail. To be clearer, I meant those who plan to be dedicated to passing rather than giving up if it doesn't go well this time. I'm often at work when I post these messages, so things may not come out the way I want to. Sorry if it sounded like empty platitudes.

Nothing is "advice"; I only want to offer what I think would help based on my experiences with the bar and talking with numerous bar students--in this case your mindset if you plan to retake it (assuming you fail). No offense taken if my thoughts don't jive with some people. Feel free to take what's helpful and leave the rest. My intentions are to be of service and help people pass. I wouldn't hang out with a bunch of nervous bar students a year after otherwise.

That said, it seems like nothing that people are posting here has been helping this week be less of a torture for you. Not just today but in general. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Mon May 11, 2015 10:08 pm

a male human wrote: Is there anything in particular you are looking for?
^A time machine.

Not trying to beef with you or anyone else here. There just happen to be people out in the world (not saying you, but people) who feed off of other peoples woes, and thus I bristle when posters who passed the exam post what seem like platitudes to me. Again, I'm in no way saying that you are one of those people. I'm happy to hear that you had success on your second time with the exam, and if your intentions are good then you are doing a mitzvah by sending good waves on these threads to people going through a tough week.

Biotech

New

Post by Biotech » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 pm

I am simply on my fourth try and that there is any measure of luck involved is maddening. I think games of chance stupid or maybe that's just an unlucky person's sour grapes.

jayinca

New

Post by jayinca » Tue May 12, 2015 5:06 am

I'm dying. I continue to wake up at night, and cannot do anything at all. I'm being mean to my family, and I'm just a waste. I can't believe that i choose to put all the time, effort, and money into this craziness. What a waste.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

morescotchplease

New

Post by morescotchplease » Tue May 12, 2015 12:54 pm

L’Étranger wrote:
^A time machine.
Better yet, make it a hot tub time machine.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Tue May 12, 2015 1:04 pm

morescotchplease wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:
^A time machine.
Better yet, make it a hot tub time machine.
Nice. Thanks for the laugh.

WonderWoman

New

Post by WonderWoman » Tue May 12, 2015 2:20 pm

If you are unsuccessful, here's what happens:
  • When you check on the Cal Bar website, you won't even have to read the words to know if you failed. Your name will appear in red. If you pass, your name is in green.
  • You check again at least three times to make sure you saw it correctly.
  • You let the mental realization of failure turn into the physical realization as you feel your heart sink into your stomach. It's an actual physical sensation.
  • If you've been a huge dumbass and told everyone on Facebook that you took the exam, you're going to have to tell everyone that you failed. Just do it on your wall and get it over with. The condolences are nice, but wholly unhelpful. If, however, you haven't raised expectations, then you can just privately message a few people with the results.
  • You mentally rehearse what you will say in-person to your family, friends, and collegues.
  • You call your student loan processor and get a deferment. When they ask why, just tell them you failed the bar exam. They won't inquire further.
  • You decide if and when you'll take the exam again.
  • You look for a job with enough flexibility to allow you to study.
  • You eat something sweet, and a lot of it. Or, you drink something cheap, and a lot of it.
  • You come back here and check for passers, making sure to congratulate them.
  • Then, you start the process all over again--just like Sisyphus.
For now, I'm dealing with heartburn, self-doubt, irritability, and an inability to concentrate. Is this what it feels like to be a practicing attorney?

morescotchplease

New

Post by morescotchplease » Tue May 12, 2015 2:36 pm

WonderWoman wrote:If you are unsuccessful, here's what happens:
  • When you check on the Cal Bar website, you won't even have to read the words to know if you failed. Your name will appear in red. If you pass, your name is in green.
  • You let the mental realization of failure turn into the physical realization as you feel your heart sink into your stomach. It's an actual physical sensation.
  • If you've been a huge dumbass and told everyone on Facebook that you took the exam, you're going to have to tell everyone that you failed. Just do it on your wall and get it over with. The condolences are nice, but wholly unhelpful. If, however, you haven't raised expectations, then you can just privately message a few people with the results.
  • You mentally rehearse what you will say in-person to your family, friends, and collegues.
  • You call your student loan processor and get a deferment. When they ask why, just tell them you failed the bar exam. They won't inquire further.
  • You eat something sweet, and a lot of it. Or, you drink something cheap, and a lot of it.
For now, I'm dealing with heartburn, self-doubt, irritability, and an inability to concentrate. Is this what it feels like to be a practicing attorney?
This is very helpful. I've been trying to rehearse the whole thing from typing my id number to what to expect on the screen. I hated the fact that my eyes will be trying to read faster than my brain can process and that split second delay of uncertainty, but I'm glad it will be much more instantaneous-- RED or GREEN. As for the aftermath, thankfully, I've kept it on the low as much as I could so that I won't have to announce the bad news to the whole world. Still, there will be a few conversations that will need to be had. More than anything, I'm worried about how to muster up the motivation for the marathon ahead, with a much shorter timeline to the July exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Tue May 12, 2015 2:41 pm

[*] When you check on the Cal Bar website, you won't even have to read the words to know if you failed. Your name will appear in red. If you pass, your name is in green.
I may be suffering from a repressed memory, but my recollection was that it was not this clear. My name was not in red, rather there was a message that said something to the effect of "the name you entered does not appear on the pass list, this could be for any of the following reasons" and the reasons included failing, not entering info correctly, the list being wrong and something else. I actually found the process to be pretty cruel, because it allowed me to maintain hope that there was simply a computer error until I got confirmation in the mail the following week.

Other than that everything you said is pretty much exactly what I did in November. Only you left out the crying. :wink:

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Tue May 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Actually, if anyone is interested, I found a screenshot I took of the fail screen. Said interested person will have to explain to me how to upload images onto the forums with patience and vocabulary that would be understood by a five year old, however.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Tue May 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Last edited by gaagoots on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Tue May 12, 2015 3:10 pm

gaagoots wrote:
I had an image too of a friends screen, but when I tried to use it on this forum it shows the law firm computer screen ID as the URL so that was a big no.

Its like this

FEBRUARY 2015 CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION

Application Number: 2398
File Number:222333

The information that you have entered does not match with a name on the pass list. This may have occurred because:

1) the applicant was not successful on the examination;
2) the numbers you entered are incorrect;
3) a registration number was entered instead of a file number; or,
4) the person did not take the examination.

Information for Unsuccessful Applicants

Enter Another Applicant
Examination Pass List
^ nailed it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:22 pm

^ I just threw up a little seeing that screen again :|

Biotech

New

Post by Biotech » Tue May 12, 2015 3:43 pm

And you will re-enter the number at least once hoping that was the reason. I'm toying with just waiting for the mail.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm

s1m4 wrote:^ I just threw up a little seeing that screen again :|
same

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue May 12, 2015 3:49 pm

morescotchplease wrote:
This is very helpful. I've been trying to rehearse the whole thing from typing my id number to what to expect on the screen. I hated the fact that my eyes will be trying to read faster than my brain can process and that split second delay of uncertainty, but I'm glad it will be much more instantaneous-- RED or GREEN. As for the aftermath, thankfully, I've kept it on the low as much as I could so that I won't have to announce the bad news to the whole world. Still, there will be a few conversations that will need to be had. More than anything, I'm worried about how to muster up the motivation for the marathon ahead, with a much shorter timeline to the July exam.
I just haven't posted anything on Facebook ever since the last day of the 2013 bar exam :lol:

You'll see green letters for sure if you pass.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

morescotchplease

New

Post by morescotchplease » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 pm

a male human wrote:
morescotchplease wrote:
I just haven't posted anything on Facebook ever since the last day of the 2013 bar exam :lol:

You'll see green letters for sure if you pass.
I'm sure I'll still find a way to be in denial and blame my computer graphics setting on why it's "appearing" in red.

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 pm

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:^ I just threw up a little seeing that screen again :|
same
I'm a first time taker and I just threw up a little seeing that screen. Fingers crossed I never see it again.

bzmaru24

New

Post by bzmaru24 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 pm

I was in a similar boat as a male human in terms of number of times in taking the bar. I took the July 2013 bar and failed with a wonderful score of 1220. So, yes, I failed by more than 200 points and was unbelievably depressed for the next few weeks. When someone fails by that much, statistics say it is nearly, if not, impossible for them to ever pass the CA Bar no matter how many times they retake it. But, I refused to let it define me. So, I picked myself up after a month and prepared to take the Feb 2014 bar.

Fast forward to 1 year ago and I was so nervous that I couldn't check the results myself and had my wife to do it. And this time, thankfully, she would not stop waving that green wording in my face. I didn't come back and shove it in the mug of every criticizing persona beforehand. I just hugged my wife closely and knew that all the studying I did and preparation I slaved over finally put me over the top. I knew that the statistics telling me that I couldn't do it, in actuality, finally could not apply to me. Instead, I definitively applied my statistic to them.

So, come Friday evening, if you pass, Congratulations! Welcome to the insane world of practicing law. It won't be as great as you thought it would be, but hopefully, it'll be something close =)

If not, know that the score that you get, the naysayers that tell you that you cannot pass, the statistics that slap you in the face telling you to forget it; all these things are just hills that only look like mountains, hills that will feel so so good stepping on top of when you do finally pass the Bar.

Also, if someone is sticking with you and supporting you throughout this process, please make sure you let them know that you appreciate everything that they do for you! They are what should define you and matter to you the most, not this test.

Good luck!

PennJD83

New

Post by PennJD83 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Thank you for the inspirational words bzmaru!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue May 12, 2015 10:36 pm

bzmaru24 wrote:I was in a similar boat as a male human in terms of number of times in taking the bar. I took the July 2013 bar and failed with a wonderful score of 1220. So, yes, I failed by more than 200 points and was unbelievably depressed for the next few weeks. When someone fails by that much, statistics say it is nearly, if not, impossible for them to ever pass the CA Bar no matter how many times they retake it. But, I refused to let it define me. So, I picked myself up after a month and prepared to take the Feb 2014 bar.

Fast forward to 1 year ago and I was so nervous that I couldn't check the results myself and had my wife to do it. And this time, thankfully, she would not stop waving that green wording in my face. I didn't come back and shove it in the mug of every criticizing persona beforehand. I just hugged my wife closely and knew that all the studying I did and preparation I slaved over finally put me over the top. I knew that the statistics telling me that I couldn't do it, in actuality, finally could not apply to me. Instead, I definitively applied my statistic to them.

So, come Friday evening, if you pass, Congratulations! Welcome to the insane world of practicing law. It won't be as great as you thought it would be, but hopefully, it'll be something close =)

If not, know that the score that you get, the naysayers that tell you that you cannot pass, the statistics that slap you in the face telling you to forget it; all these things are just hills that only look like mountains, hills that will feel so so good stepping on top of when you do finally pass the Bar.

Also, if someone is sticking with you and supporting you throughout this process, please make sure you let them know that you appreciate everything that they do for you! They are what should define you and matter to you the most, not this test.

Good luck!
Hell yeah dude! They say law school grades are a predictor of passing the bar (the first time?), but with my GPA, I shouldn't have passed ever :oops:

PennJD83

New

Post by PennJD83 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Well....here's the debrief of the February bar. Watch at your own risk :(

https://www.youtube.com/user/BarSecrets/videos

pineapple99

New

Post by pineapple99 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:56 pm

PennJD83 wrote:Well....here's the debrief of the February bar. Watch at your own risk :(

https://www.youtube.com/user/BarSecrets/videos

:shock: :shock:

don't know if I can handle that before results. An outline would be much more manageable.

I've basically convinced myself that I failed the second time around. The idea of passing this garbage of an exam is too ridiculous. So I guess I've set the bar pretty low...

Notorious RBG

New

Post by Notorious RBG » Wed May 13, 2015 12:34 pm

bzmaru24 wrote:I was in a similar boat as a male human in terms of number of times in taking the bar. I took the July 2013 bar and failed with a wonderful score of 1220. So, yes, I failed by more than 200 points and was unbelievably depressed for the next few weeks. When someone fails by that much, statistics say it is nearly, if not, impossible for them to ever pass the CA Bar no matter how many times they retake it. But, I refused to let it define me. So, I picked myself up after a month and prepared to take the Feb 2014 bar.

Good luck!
I registered for this board (after years of lurking) to thank you for this post. I'm a repeater waiting for Februrary results and I know this is melodramatic, but I really don't think anyone can quite understand the sting of failing the bar until they go through it. As much as you can logically know the bar is hard and it's somewhat subjective and more a testament to hard work than intelligence, it's difficult not to internalize the FAILURE.

I graduated from a decent ls but with a crappy gpa due to laziness- and I have a well-paid JD-preferred job where I get to basically do transactional legal work but the job doesn't hinge on me passing the bar, so I count myself as very lucky. And yet, the bar failure feels like a skeleton in my closet. I cannot wait to have it over and behind me. I am prepared to repeat again if I don't pass this time, I don't think I'll be overly bummed about having to study again. But shit, sometimes it feels like I'll NEVER pass. Sucks man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”