2015 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:41 pm

melvinIII wrote:Is BarMax the only service with real MBE questions? I was going to use that service but you can apparently only read the questions on an iphone or ipad. I don't have an ipad and reading the questions on an iphone would be a pain.

I think I've heard that Adaptibar has real MBE questions but they want $395 for their MBE questions which is more than twice as much as BarMax charges.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for MBE services?
http://amzn.to/1hH1vzq

melvinIII

New

Post by melvinIII » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:41 pm

a male human wrote:
melvinIII wrote:Is BarMax the only service with real MBE questions? I was going to use that service but you can apparently only read the questions on an iphone or ipad. I don't have an ipad and reading the questions on an iphone would be a pain.

I think I've heard that Adaptibar has real MBE questions but they want $395 for their MBE questions which is more than twice as much as BarMax charges.

Thanks, I've seen that book recommended multiple times. My issue with buying books online is that I live in China and delivery will take at least a month. Do you know if there's a way to buy a digital version or access a PDF? I've been looking online but I haven't found one yet.

hotsummer

New

Post by hotsummer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:15 am

Do you still recommend Baressays.com for people already taking a full prep course like Barbri or Kaplan?

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:48 am

hotsummer wrote:Do you still recommend Baressays.com for people already taking a full prep course like Barbri or Kaplan?
I recommend it for people taking barmax, not sure for barbri or Kaplan.

LawJunky

New

Post by LawJunky » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:16 pm

a male human wrote:

Yes, I agree that the strategies and Tactics are excellent books.
Finz Multistate Method, the orange book has awesome MBE questions. These are also written by Steven Emanuel.
The MCQ2 Book by Barbri is a super duper hard set of excellent MBE questions.
Emanuel's bootcamp are excellent MBE questions and are very new fact patterns.
The old released NCBE questions should be done first, though, to get those out of the way so you are not always worried "gee maybe I should do those released questions." Adaptibar is based on these questions. The Adaptibar answer analysis is not as valuable as the Steven Emanuel and Barbri. Many of my friends used Adaptibar on the MBE and got owned. Avoid adaptibar and use these Steven Emanuel questions and Barbri questions. I suck at essays, but I scored a 1710 on the MBE so take this advice, and you will really do well.

See this thread for MBE practice techniques.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p8198607

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:28 pm

What was the value in using Barbri MBE questions for you? I stopped doing them (except, perhaps, to drill for a particular area where I saw extreme incorrect rates) because they were made up and not representative of the feel of the questions you'd get on the real thing.

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:25 am

hotsummer wrote:Do you still recommend Baressays.com for people already taking a full prep course like Barbri or Kaplan?
Last edited by barjamie8 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotsummer

New

Post by hotsummer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:44 am

Barjamie8, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Did you take a full prep course too though? If so, could you tell me which one and what you liked and disliked about it?

goku

New

Post by goku » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Anyone know how many essays baressays.com will grade for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yips

New

Post by yips » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:38 pm

If anyone is interested in obtaining secondhand prep materials for CA, I am offering the following:

-Strategies and Tactics for the MBE, Vol. 1
-Strategies and Tactics for the MBE, Vol. 2
-Themis Multistate Outline book (unfortunately, my other Themis books are much too worn out
-Critical Pass flashcards (annotated with CA and common law distinctions where relevant; note that the new Civ Pro cards are not included with this older set)

PM to let me know if you are interested in any or all of these!

TitoSantana

New

Post by TitoSantana » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Not sure if this was already asked but does anyone know when unsuccessful candidates are supposed to get their essays back? Also, how is everyone doing with their studies and is it too early to make predictions on February essays (Input would be appreciated to get the mental juices flowing). Thanks.

ginger root

New

Post by ginger root » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:52 pm

TitoSantana wrote:Not sure if this was already asked but does anyone know when unsuccessful candidates are supposed to get their essays back? Also, how is everyone doing with their studies and is it too early to make predictions on February essays (Input would be appreciated to get the mental juices flowing). Thanks.
In the yellow sheet sent along with our scores, it says that essays will be mailed within 4 weeks from the exam results release date. I hope they are sent sooner than that. I fell short on my essays but I don't want to practice my essay writing until I can see what I did wrong. I'd rather not reinforce bad habits. I know that I hit almost all of the issues that people discussed in the July 2014 thread so I'm completely confused as to where I went wrong. In the meantime, I'm reviewing all of the subjects to reacquaint myself with the material.

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Is anyone else using the full version of Barmax? Holy typos, batman! I'm a little bit annoyed with how many there are... you'd think they would have at least run spell check or something!

And there's a glitch where one of the crimes modules displays flashcards from Contracts instead of Crim Law. I called customer support and they were hella rude to me, like it was my fault or something! (I guess they're aware of the problem and supposedly releasing an update to fix it in 5-7 days. How dare I call to inform them). I like the program concept overall, but I'm not sure I could recommend something that appears so shoddily put together.

At least the MBE questions are all real.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arizzle

New

Post by arizzle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone else is using Themis bar review. I just looked at their Directed Study schedule, and it looks brutal. Besides Christmas and New Years, there are no days off. It's 7 days a week non-stop. I like structure, but it seems like overkill.

Anyways, if anyone else is using Themis and wants to chat shoot me a PM.

A little background:

I just moved to California from DC. I passed the 2010 Maryland bar exam.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 am

arizzle wrote:Hello,

I'm curious if anyone else is using Themis bar review. I just looked at their Directed Study schedule, and it looks brutal. Besides Christmas and New Years, there are no days off. It's 7 days a week non-stop. I like structure, but it seems like overkill.

Anyways, if anyone else is using Themis and wants to chat shoot me a PM.

A little background:

I just moved to California from DC. I passed the 2010 Maryland bar exam.
Do what makes most sense to you, but I would advise doing something every day, even if it's two MBE questions. You want to keep that momentum going by not "breaking the chain."

melvinIII

New

Post by melvinIII » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 am

Elms wrote:Is anyone else using the full version of Barmax? Holy typos, batman! I'm a little bit annoyed with how many there are... you'd think they would have at least run spell check or something!

And there's a glitch where one of the crimes modules displays flashcards from Contracts instead of Crim Law. I called customer support and they were hella rude to me, like it was my fault or something! (I guess they're aware of the problem and supposedly releasing an update to fix it in 5-7 days. How dare I call to inform them). I like the program concept overall, but I'm not sure I could recommend something that appears so shoddily put together.

Do you have experience with the Barbri/Kaplan MBE questions? If so, do you think the real MBE questions from Barmax are much different?

I ask because I currently have access to both the Kaplan and Barbri MBE questions and I would prefer not to spend the money on the Barmax MBE App but I will if there is an appreciable difference.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 am

melvinIII wrote:
Elms wrote:Is anyone else using the full version of Barmax? Holy typos, batman! I'm a little bit annoyed with how many there are... you'd think they would have at least run spell check or something!

Do you have experience with the Barbri/Kaplan MBE questions? If so, do you think the real MBE questions from Barmax are much different?

I ask because I currently have access to both the Kaplan and Barbri MBE questions and I would prefer not to spend the money on the Barmax MBE App but I will if there is an appreciable difference.
I think they are pretty different. Fake questions tend to be longer, more convoluted and trickier (sometimes with dubious "correct" answers). Probably good for grinding areas where you are esp weak.

Check out the sample real MBE questions and tell me what you think: http://ncbex.org/assets/media_files/MBE ... stions.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:22 pm

I also like the MBE questions from NCBE. A little later - in early Feb, maybe - spend $100 on the two most recent tests here: http://store.ncbex.org/

By then doing these should be more of a confidence builder than anything else. But they can also give you a clue about your weaknesses, using real questions.

You could easily buy access and take the same test multiple times if you were inclined to do it as a study group to save money.

kdesq

New

Post by kdesq » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Has everyone started studying in full force already?
I planned to start studying from last week but things don't work out well and I am so frustrated that I haven't done much for past two weeks. Just very little MBE's here and there! I think I am under some sort of panic attack after the result :cry:

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:06 pm

kdesq wrote:Has everyone started studying in full force already?
I planned to start studying from last week but things don't work out well and I am so frustrated that I haven't done much for past two weeks. Just very little MBE's here and there! I think I am under some sort of panic attack after the result :cry:
Just keep doing those little MBEs every day to get that momentum! You can gradually build up your regimen. Keep yourself guilt-free (dust off your hands after doing a few MBEs) so you don't force yourself now and get burned out later. You'll feel like doing more and more over time.

You're not too late to start studying even if you start at the end of December and ramp up in January.

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:09 pm

melvinIII wrote:

I did Barbri for the IL bar in 2012, and agree with a male human that the Barbri questions are longer and more convoluted. Barbri will definitely prepare you for the MBE, it's just overkill and more difficult than it needs to be, which I find annoying. I personally don't think it's necessary to buy real MBE questions in addition to Barbri questins. If you can afford it then it's a nice confident boost, but I think the Barbri questions aren't SO different that you'll be in shock on test day. I did great on the IL MBE as far as I know. I felt good about it and I passed. I'm not doing Barbi again because it's so time intensive and expensive, but if all I had to practice for the MBE was their questions I'd feel completely comfortable with that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:03 pm

My work fired me because I failed the CA bar exam. Anyone else have this beautiful experience?

TitoSantana

New

Post by TitoSantana » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Any attorney applicants wish to share how they are going about studying for the two-exam. My second run at this with a 1380 score. Also, anyone can recommend an inexpensive prep that concentrates on essays and PTs.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:14 pm

jarofsoup wrote:My work fired me because I failed the CA bar exam. Anyone else have this beautiful experience?
That's fucking bullshit. Don't they usually give you two bites?

But I didn't have a real FT job until after I passed, so you're still in a better position than a lot of people who've been jobless from the start.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:36 pm

a male human wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:My work fired me because I failed the CA bar exam. Anyone else have this beautiful experience?
That's fucking bullshit. Don't they usually give you two bites?

But I didn't have a real FT job until after I passed, so you're still in a better position than a lot of people who've been jobless from the start.

It was a small firm, so it was basically like we cannot bill you so we cannot afford you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”