NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 pm

I have a question about the application process that maybe someone can answer who has been through the same thing.

Graduated law school and took the bar exam with my current name. Getting married soon and will be changing my name before bar results come in. How do I go about changing my name with NCBE? Do I actually have to do anything, or do I just use my new name and indicate my maiden name on all of the forms?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:13 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
sd5289 wrote:I'm looking at the instructions and it says that if you're applying for admission in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Departments, you're set to go. You can file at any time (I'm in the 2nd, so awesome). If you're in the 1st, you have to wait until you receive your results and letter saying you're certified to the 1st Department.
Possible dumb question incoming: how do we know what dept we're assigned to
Manhattan/Bronx = 1st Dep't
Brooklyn/Queens = 2d Dep't

Um, everything else is 3rd or 4th? I don't know exactly which county goes where (typical New Yorker) but I'd bet it's on the Appellate Division website? It's according to your registered address with them.
But you haven't received anything from NY BOLE saying one way or another, right?
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 pm

sd5289 wrote: Manhattan/Bronx = 1st Dep't
Brooklyn/Queens/Nassau/Westchester/Suffolk/Staten Island = 2d Dep't
ftfy

moreheesh

New

Post by moreheesh » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:56 am

sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
sd5289 wrote:I'm looking at the instructions and it says that if you're applying for admission in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Departments, you're set to go. You can file at any time (I'm in the 2nd, so awesome). If you're in the 1st, you have to wait until you receive your results and letter saying you're certified to the 1st Department.

Um, everything else is 3rd or 4th? I don't know exactly which county goes where (typical New Yorker) but I'd bet it's on the Appellate Division website? It's according to your registered address with them.

What if we live in one department now and when we took the test, but will be in another department by the time the results come out?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:37 am

moreheesh wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

What if we live in one department now and when we took the test, but will be in another department by the time the results come out?
You contact your old and new department and tell them. But make sure you pay attention to your new department's deadlines.

I changed departments last year. New department never sent me anything, but old department kept sending me stuff about the application deadline. I didn't notice it was from the old department, because the only difference is in the stationary header, where it says "x department" in cursive, which eff cursive.

So I go to start my application, thinking I am be super proactive. I start reading through things on my new department's web site. I notice that new department's deadline is 12 weeks before old departments. I had to get my application done in three days, which cost a ton in overnight fees to all my old employers in what not. It was terribly stressful, so watch out for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:01 am

Danger Zone wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

But you haven't received anything from NY BOLE saying one way or another, right?
Nope! But it seems others in this thread are more knowledgeable about this than I am. I just know that where I live = 2d Dept and that I can start it early. :D

wjnahill

Bronze

Post by wjnahill » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:48 pm

2 quick, very dumb questions:

1) Where can you see which department you were assigned to?

2) Is there a form for the prior legal employer affidavits? Where can I find this?

Thanks

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

wjnahill wrote:2 quick, very dumb questions:

1) Where can you see which department you were assigned to?

2) Is there a form for the prior legal employer affidavits? Where can I find this?

Thanks
All forms are here:

http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm

moreheesh

New

Post by moreheesh » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:15 am

bport hopeful wrote:
moreheesh wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

You contact your old and new department and tell them. But make sure you pay attention to your new department's deadlines.

I changed departments last year. New department never sent me anything, but old department kept sending me stuff about the application deadline. I didn't notice it was from the old department, because the only difference is in the stationary header, where it says "x department" in cursive, which eff cursive.

So I go to start my application, thinking I am be super proactive. I start reading through things on my new department's web site. I notice that new department's deadline is 12 weeks before old departments. I had to get my application done in three days, which cost a ton in overnight fees to all my old employers in what not. It was terribly stressful, so watch out for that.
Thanks - I don't see any deadlines though? And does it really matter that much that I choose one department over another? If I lived at home before moving and can still get mail at the other address, is it really worth the trouble?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:38 pm

moreheesh wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
moreheesh wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Thanks - I don't see any deadlines though? And does it really matter that much that I choose one department over another? If I lived at home before moving and can still get mail at the other address, is it really worth the trouble?
wondering this too

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Are people working on the application now? I haven't started yet so it seems like it would be smart to start on this.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Are people working on the application now? I haven't started yet so it seems like it would be smart to start on this.
Eh, nah.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAJAcinco

New

Post by JAJAcinco » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:48 am

To any 2nd Division brethren out there:

Has anyone received the email containing the username/password for the online Orientation to Profession CLE thingy? Per their website, the 2nd division was supposed to start sending them out 10 business days after the July bar. May not be that big of a deal since it sounds like last year alot of people were taking it later on in the year/after they found out they passed, but figured worth asking around and calling that my bar application "work" for the day 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:56 pm

JAJAcinco wrote:To any 2nd Division brethren out there:

Has anyone received the email containing the username/password for the online Orientation to Profession CLE thingy? Per their website, the 2nd division was supposed to start sending them out 10 business days after the July bar. May not be that big of a deal since it sounds like last year alot of people were taking it later on in the year/after they found out they passed, but figured worth asking around and calling that my bar application "work" for the day 8)
Received this e-mail today.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:03 pm

moreheesh wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

I switched from 2nd to 1st once I moved to Manhattan. Easy to do, you will just need to send them proof that you live in the city - a new license saying you do, or a rent agreement, utility bill, etc.

HLBE689

New

Post by HLBE689 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Cannot find the answer to this anywhere in the application or instructions - if we need extra room to list employment history than the slots provided on the application, are we supposed to attach extra papers? I cannot list all previous employment that they ask for in the spots provided - but it says nothing about what to do if that is the case.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Random tip: if you have ANY incidents to report as far as box checking goes, just submit ALL documentation. They WILL request it. Or if you want to hedge timing, submit your app and start immediately collecting all documentation so you have it read to go. It will be due 2 weeks before your interview, which doesn't give THAT much time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:10 pm

HLBE689 wrote:Cannot find the answer to this anywhere in the application or instructions - if we need extra room to list employment history than the slots provided on the application, are we supposed to attach extra papers? I cannot list all previous employment that they ask for in the spots provided - but it says nothing about what to do if that is the case.

I made a list using the same formatting and labeled it Employment History Addendum.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:18 pm

northwood wrote:
HLBE689 wrote:Cannot find the answer to this anywhere in the application or instructions - if we need extra room to list employment history than the slots provided on the application, are we supposed to attach extra papers? I cannot list all previous employment that they ask for in the spots provided - but it says nothing about what to do if that is the case.

I made a list using the same formatting and labeled it Employment History Addendum.
There's a fillable rider form available on the website for any answers that go over. You just label the question and continue to answer. If you can't find it I will track down the link.

Edit: nm it was an easy Google:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/AD1/Comm ... llable.pdf

Here's the page with the instructions that link to the rider:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/AD1/Comm ... ndex.shtml

(Just noticed this is first dept but it seems pretty standard)

HLBE689

New

Post by HLBE689 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:18 pm

thanks I should probably just call my department to check!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am

I am applying to the 1st dept. The instructions indicate that applicants should not send materials until after they have received notification that they passed the bar. Does this mean I need to wait until after I am notified I passed the bar to request the form certificate from my law school indicating that I graduated (since this will be sent directly by the school to the NYS board of law examiners).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:26 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I am applying to the 1st dept. The instructions indicate that applicants should not send materials until after they have received notification that they passed the bar. Does this mean I need to wait until after I am notified I passed the bar to request the form certificate from my law school indicating that I graduated (since this will be sent directly by the school to the NYS board of law examiners).
My law school accepted requests ahead of time but had a process to only send in the forms once they were notified that students did in fact pass the bar. I imagine (or would hope) most schools have a similar process/know how to manage these things.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 am

JenDarby wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I am applying to the 1st dept. The instructions indicate that applicants should not send materials until after they have received notification that they passed the bar. Does this mean I need to wait until after I am notified I passed the bar to request the form certificate from my law school indicating that I graduated (since this will be sent directly by the school to the NYS board of law examiners).
My law school accepted requests ahead of time but had a process to only send in the forms once they were notified that students did in fact pass the bar. I imagine (or would hope) most schools have a similar process/know how to manage these things.
Thanks!

Another question: what do you do if you have more previous employment position than will fit on the form?
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:58 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Thanks!

Another question: what do you do if you have more previous employment position then will fit on the form?
Two posts above your other post
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:31 am

thank you Danger Zone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”