Is law school right for me?

To help keep the main forum index page from getting too big, some forums have been placed in this "other forums" section.

Is law school right for me?

Postby alyzeebra » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 am

I want to create big change (or at least lay the foundation for it) in the failing CJS. I want to do something bigger than public defense. I know law school will give me a good background for this but I don't know what kind of law I would practice. Should I go to law school? I've also been looking into an MPP or MPA program.
Should I go to law school?

Deputy Downer

Re: Is law school right for me?

Postby Deputy Downer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:30 am

Your grandiose sounding, but vague, goals have me a bit confused, but I'll take a stab.

Fixing the American criminal justice system is politically in vogue; its an issue that's getting a lot of attention from both Democrats and Republicans, and its a platform position for several candidates running for president. I'd expect that there's going to be more activity in addressing things like mandatory minimums, non-violent offenders, death penalty, etc., in the near future.

Get a job working on a campaign for a candidate for office who shares your views on this issue. Their winning would be your best bet in making a difference. Or go work for a big nonprofit that works on this issue. Or get a job for a think tank that's working to propose policy changes to fix these sorts of problems.

Going to law school or getting a master's degree won't allow you to fix the criminal justice system. But going to law school would allow you to (try to) become a lawyer, which means you could represent people who are being thrust into the criminal justice system (a perfectly good goal), or you could work on justice issues through NGOs or the government. Getting an MPP will get you opportunities to do research/nonprofit work/work on capitol hill. That's basically all those degrees are for.

My point being... individual lawyers and policy wonks won't fix the criminal justice system. Elected officials and their staffs will- likely sooner than later.
Last edited by Deputy Downer on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Is law school right for me?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:31 am

Return to “Other forums not on the main forum index page”