Colorado 1L taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:46 am

I'm a 1L at CU Boulder Law and am almost done with the first semester. When I was going through the application process, TLS was an incredible resource and the students I talked to helped a lot. I want to "give back" and am willing to answer any questions about Colorado Law, Boulder or anything else I might be able to answer!

Also, If anyone is interested in CU Law and is planing on visiting anytime from here on, message me prior to your trip and I'll take you out and show you the town in addition to the school (which is just as important in my opinion).
Last edited by icarter on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 am

Thanks for taking the time!

If you wouldn't mind, housing?

I will be wanting to rent a house, and I don't need to live in Boulder. I'm OK with driving in, even with a 30 or 40 minute commute if need be.

Can I rent a house of decent size (at least 1200 SF) for $1500 or so?


Also, how do you like the school...is it a tough workload, social life, etc?

And what were your numbers, if you don't mind?


Thanks again!

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

I took a tour and sat in on a class a few weeks back, and loved it!

How long did it take you to settle in to the swing of classes, studying, the professionalism that seems to be expected in the law school setting?

Are you planning on participating in any clinics or internships next year? How daunting is the process?

Are you ready for ski season, or what?

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 am

kalvano wrote:And what were your numbers, if you don't mind?



You can click "profile" at the bottom of a post to view the poster's information.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 am

KmissP wrote:
kalvano wrote:And what were your numbers, if you don't mind?



You can click "profile" at the bottom of a post to view the poster's information.



Not everyone does it, and I was on my phone.

But now that I have, I have new hope.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby Pufer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:23 am

Hi all. I'm a 2L at CU and will weigh in on a couple of the above questions. Please feel free to ignore me if you'd prefer to hear from my illustrious 1L compatriot. :)

kalvano wrote:Can I rent a house of decent size (at least 1200 SF) for $1500 or so?


With your willingness to commute, you'll have no problem finding a very nice house with more than 1200sf for $1500. In Boulder proper, however, you'd probably have a better selection of >1200sf townhomes (or your choice of large condos/apartments) than proper houses in that price range.

kalvano wrote:Also, how do you like the school...is it a tough workload, social life, etc?


If you're determined to make it work, you can make school no more than a M-F, 9-5 proposition (excepting end of semester studying and the odd legal writing assignment) during your 1L year. With this in mind, you can have as much of a social life as you're inclined to. Alternately, you could work every waking moment and still feel ill prepared if you'd like to do that.

Law school is largely a question of priorities. Once you're in, you're all but certain not to flunk out, so that shouldn't be of any particular concern. Not only are you not going to flunk out, because of the curve and the nature of the beast, you're probably going to get a B of some variety. In everything.

Given these two facts, you can go nuts, study all the time, and get some sort of B; or you can take it easy, get your work in, but not stress too much about anything, and get some sort of B. Sure, there are a number of folks who study nonstop and pull one of the relatively rare A's, but I know of some folks who put every bit as much effort into studying as the top-10% types and routinely get C's. The same is true of the inverse - you don't necessarily need to do all that much at all to get an A if you just get it.

Law school grades are, in general, a total crapshoot. You pretty much just end up doing as much as you're going to do, and then hope that the prof likes your answers (and then, like everyone else, you get some sort of B). Workload and social life have little to do with school itself, and more to do with how you feel about stuff and what your priorities are (keeping in mind that priorities have no necessary link to relative success).

All that said, the school is great. The professors and all the staff are, in general, fantastic. The building is still all new and wonderful. Setting is great, and the student body is awesome. Still very happy with my choice of CU.

kalvano wrote:And what were your numbers, if you don't mind?


163/4.01

KmissP wrote:How long did it take you to settle in to the swing of classes, studying, the professionalism that seems to be expected in the law school setting?


Took me probably about a month to really get settled into the swing of things last year, but I was probably pretty close to there within a couple weeks. I probably settled in more quickly than most, though, and you really don't fully grasp where you stand until after (at least) your first semester exams.

At the end of the day, though, it's still just school. Everyone pretty much understands school. Just because you're carrying around casebooks now doesn't mean that it's all that different.

There's no particular level of increased professionalism expected in the law school setting (and if anyone says that there is, they should probably be ignored, or aren't going to CU).

kalvano wrote:Are you planning on participating in any clinics or internships next year? How daunting is the process?


They're just time-sucks. You sign up for clinics the same as you would any other class, go through clinic orientation, and then start working, keeping in frequent touch with the head of the clinic.

A straight-up internship is no less difficult logistically than any internship you would do during undergrad. You set up your schedule and terms with your employer, and then you show up to work.

Externships (an internship for credit) requires administrative approval (which allows a narrower range of stuff than you might think), a set number of work hours (depending on how many credits you want for it), and some level of employer oversight that results in documentation sent to the school (along with sporadic, waste-of-time "externship classes" at the law school). All that said, despite the bureaucratic nonsense involved, they're not especially daunting.

-Pufer

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby traehekat » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 am

What are job prospects looking like? I've heard UColorado pretty much has a lock on the entire mountain west - truth?

leftieash
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby leftieash » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm

How competitive are the students with each other--how "cutthroat" is it there? Do people help each other out??

What are your professors like?? (I realize this is sort of a ridiculous question in that whatever two or three CU students might tell us about their profs would be super anecdotal at best... but it's better than nothing. Leiter ranks CU's faculty as 40th in the nation, so I'm not worried, but it would be great to hear some feedback on the teaching there).

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby Pufer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:26 pm

traehekat wrote:What are job prospects looking like? I've heard UColorado pretty much has a lock on the entire mountain west - truth?


A lock? No. But you do have access to legal markets throughout the mountain west.

You have access to Denver, but you compete with DU students. You have access to Albuquerque, but compete with UNM students. You have access to Salt Lake City, but compete there with Utah and BYU students. You have access to Cheyenne, but compete with Wyoming students, and so on.

This type of thing shouldn't indicate any sort of lock anywhere, but it does say something. The difference between, say, UNM and CU is that, whereas you have access to Albuquerque and loads of other regional markets coming from CU, you pretty much only have access to Albuquerque (and the rest of New Mexico, for all that's worth) coming from UNM.

CU grads don't dominate in any particular market (except in Boulder itself, which is worthless), but can probably beat the local school grads in a relatively large number of markets within the Mountain West.

leftieash wrote:How competitive are the students with each other--how "cutthroat" is it there? Do people help each other out??


Not cutthroat at all. Your only real competition is with yourself; nobody else really gives a damn. Everyone is happy to help anyone else out.

leftieash wrote:What are your professors like?? (I realize this is sort of a ridiculous question in that whatever two or three CU students might tell us about their profs would be super anecdotal at best... but it's better than nothing. Leiter ranks CU's faculty as 40th in the nation, so I'm not worried, but it would be great to hear some feedback on the teaching there).


Some profs rock, a couple suck, most are at least above-average as far as profs go in terms of teaching. On the whole, the good-to-excellent professors vastly outnumber the mediocre profs (further, the administration is big on trying to keep the mediocre profs away from 1Ls, allowing folks to take them only if they want to when they can choose their classes later).

-Pufer

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:52 pm

First, I would highly suggest living in Boulder if at all possible. I was tempted to live in Broomfield for cheaper rent/ more space but I feel like I would have missed out on a lot going on in town. The first year I would suggest living in boulder if possible. I found a great condo (about 600 sq ft) 2 blocks from downtown for 900 fully furnished including utilities. If you are looking for a house would you consider sharing w/roommates or are you looking for a private place? If you honestly are ok with living outside of boulder, you can get a place for 1500 a month easy.

As for the school. I love it. I honestly do. The people here are amazing and have become really great & close friends even w/ just knowing them for a few months. The workload isn't too bad and I have a pretty good social life. I'd be happy to answer any more questions and if you visit you are welcome to crash on my futon if you'd like or at the least, I'd be more than happy to take you out and show you around. I came originally from CA, went to undergrad in OR and couldn't be happier in Boulder.

My #'s were 164, 3.48 i think although I had pretty unique softs. Let me know any other Q's or if you want to talk on the phone or visit!

kalvano wrote:Thanks for taking the time!

If you wouldn't mind, housing?

I will be wanting to rent a house, and I don't need to live in Boulder. I'm OK with driving in, even with a 30 or 40 minute commute if need be.

Can I rent a house of decent size (at least 1200 SF) for $1500 or so?


Also, how do you like the school...is it a tough workload, social life, etc?

And what were your numbers, if you don't mind?


Thanks again!

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey Leftieash. (what does that mean?) ,

I have been truly amazed w/ the students at CU. With the exception of 2 or 3 students, the entire 1L class has been supportive and not at all cutthroat. There is a somewhat competitive vibe due to the curve but everyone I've met (95% of our class) is more than happy to talk about stuff and support eachother.

I love 4 of my 5 professors. My contracts, Civ Pro and Torts professors are amazing while the others are good but not amazing. Have you had a chance to visit yet? If you haven't I would HIGHLY suggest it and I can have you sit in on my classes so you can get a real feel for it. I've met many of the other upper level faculty who are honestly, some of the most brilliant people i've ever met who are also more than willing to go out and talk over coffee or lunch. This is very unique based on the schools i looked at.

Let me know if you have any other Q's or if you want to visit! I'd be happy to show you around!!

-Ian

leftieash wrote:How competitive are the students with each other--how "cutthroat" is it there? Do people help each other out??

What are your professors like?? (I realize this is sort of a ridiculous question in that whatever two or three CU students might tell us about their profs would be super anecdotal at best... but it's better than nothing. Leiter ranks CU's faculty as 40th in the nation, so I'm not worried, but it would be great to hear some feedback on the teaching there).

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Are you the person who gave me my tour?

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Wait, I think his name was something different, although similar.

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby The Zeppelin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:12 pm

icarter wrote:Hey Leftieash. (what does that mean?)

Her name's Ashley and she's left-handed?

For OOS applicants, the general consensus is that a "Why Colorado" essay is necessary, correct?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby General Tso » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:09 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:
icarter wrote:Hey Leftieash. (what does that mean?)

Her name's Ashley and she's left-handed?

For OOS applicants, the general consensus is that a "Why Colorado" essay is necessary, correct?


I didn't do a 'Why Colorado' and still got in. 3.8/162...good softs though and triple major

The school is great. Job prospects are good. Boulder is awesome.

Denver and the surroundings? For me, not so much.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby kalvano » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:08 pm

icarter wrote:First, I would highly suggest living in Boulder if at all possible. I was tempted to live in Broomfield for cheaper rent/ more space but I feel like I would have missed out on a lot going on in town. The first year I would suggest living in boulder if possible. I found a great condo (about 600 sq ft) 2 blocks from downtown for 900 fully furnished including utilities. If you are looking for a house would you consider sharing w/roommates or are you looking for a private place? If you honestly are ok with living outside of boulder, you can get a place for 1500 a month easy.



Roommates a no-go, all married and stuff.

Glad to hear, thanks!

Cost of housing was my biggest concern with Boulder.

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:47 pm

KmissP wrote:Wait, I think his name was something different, although similar.


I haven't given any tours yet so it likely wasn't me. Feel free to PM me w/any other questions and if you make it out here again let me know and I'll show you around!

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:02 am

My 2L buddy answered some of your questions but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents as well. I'm glad you loved the school! It is a pretty amazing place and Boulder is fantastic.

I was fairly prepared for Law School and after the first week or two was settled in. Honestly, when I was going through orientation I was a bit scared and felt really unprepared but when classes started, things all fell into place rather quickly. Also, the term moves so fast that you are forced to dive in head first (which I think was a good thing).

I am about to apply to a huge number of judges and firms for this summer (can't apply till Dec 1) since I have no clear idea of what I want to do at this point. I do plan on doing at least 1 clinic next year and hope to have an internship as well. I can't give too much personal insight to this process since 1Ls are not allowed to even start pursuing these things till December at the earliest.

And yes, I am not a HUGE skier but I will be heading to the mountains tomorrow morning and several times this week to stay sane :). Feel free to PM me or ask any other questions!

-Ian

KmissP wrote:I took a tour and sat in on a class a few weeks back, and loved it!

How long did it take you to settle in to the swing of classes, studying, the professionalism that seems to be expected in the law school setting?

Are you planning on participating in any clinics or internships next year? How daunting is the process?

Are you ready for ski season, or what?

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:21 pm

icarter wrote:
KmissP wrote:Wait, I think his name was something different, although similar.


I haven't given any tours yet so it likely wasn't me. Feel free to PM me w/any other questions and if you make it out here again let me know and I'll show you around!


I live here!
But I will take you up on your offer for a little q and a!

leftieash
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby leftieash » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 am

icarter wrote:Hey Leftieash. (what does that mean?) ,

I have been truly amazed w/ the students at CU. With the exception of 2 or 3 students, the entire 1L class has been supportive and not at all cutthroat. There is a somewhat competitive vibe due to the curve but everyone I've met (95% of our class) is more than happy to talk about stuff and support eachother.

I love 4 of my 5 professors. My contracts, Civ Pro and Torts professors are amazing while the others are good but not amazing. Have you had a chance to visit yet? If you haven't I would HIGHLY suggest it and I can have you sit in on my classes so you can get a real feel for it. I've met many of the other upper level faculty who are honestly, some of the most brilliant people i've ever met who are also more than willing to go out and talk over coffee or lunch. This is very unique based on the schools i looked at.



It's that I'm on the left side of the political spectrum... :-) But I'm glad that it wasn't totally obvious to everyone!

Thanks so much for the info. Really good to know about the competitiveness factor...it's so hard to find that stuff out (just as every law school says they are all about public interest work, they all seem to claim that their students are very collaborative, but I just don't buy it).

I really want to visit but I'm almost afraid to, both because I'm afraid it'll jinx getting in (and I'm not even superstitious!!) and/or that if I don't get in, it'll make it that much more heartbreaking ...

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 am

leftieash wrote:
icarter wrote:Hey Leftieash. (what does that mean?) ,

I have been truly amazed w/ the students at CU. With the exception of 2 or 3 students, the entire 1L class has been supportive and not at all cutthroat. There is a somewhat competitive vibe due to the curve but everyone I've met (95% of our class) is more than happy to talk about stuff and support eachother.

I love 4 of my 5 professors. My contracts, Civ Pro and Torts professors are amazing while the others are good but not amazing. Have you had a chance to visit yet? If you haven't I would HIGHLY suggest it and I can have you sit in on my classes so you can get a real feel for it. I've met many of the other upper level faculty who are honestly, some of the most brilliant people i've ever met who are also more than willing to go out and talk over coffee or lunch. This is very unique based on the schools i looked at.



It's that I'm on the left side of the political spectrum... :-) But I'm glad that it wasn't totally obvious to everyone!

Thanks so much for the info. Really good to know about the competitiveness factor...it's so hard to find that stuff out (just as every law school says they are all about public interest work, they all seem to claim that their students are very collaborative, but I just don't buy it).

I really want to visit but I'm almost afraid to, both because I'm afraid it'll jinx getting in (and I'm not even superstitious!!) and/or that if I don't get in, it'll make it that much more heartbreaking ...


Well, you could wait until you find out. That isn't the worst thing BUT to truly get a feel for Boulder/ CU Law you have to come out and visit! Let me know if/when you do!

User avatar
mountaintime
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby mountaintime » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:18 am

.
Last edited by mountaintime on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:30 am

mountaintime wrote:I'd love to be in Boulder next year. Unfortunately, I'm a splitter... fortunately, I'm in-state. I'm hoping that they have some sort of in-state quota or boost so that the combination of that and my LSAT score give me a decent chance.


I was an out of state splitter of sorts, 164 3.48. I don't know about any quota but LSN can give some insight (although not terribly reliable). Good luck!

iamluke20
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby iamluke20 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:59 pm

mountaintime wrote:I'd love to be in Boulder next year. Unfortunately, I'm a splitter... fortunately, I'm in-state. I'm hoping that they have some sort of in-state quota or boost so that the combination of that and my LSAT score give me a decent chance.



I know that there is a certain percentage of in-state students that they are required to enroll. I have heard its 55%, but I don't know for sure.

From what I gather, you increase your chances as an in-state student. It definitely helped me.

leftieash wrote:
icarter wrote:Hey Leftieash. (what does that mean?) ,

I have been truly amazed w/ the students at CU. With the exception of 2 or 3 students, the entire 1L class has been supportive and not at all cutthroat. There is a somewhat competitive vibe due to the curve but everyone I've met (95% of our class) is more than happy to talk about stuff and support eachother.

I love 4 of my 5 professors. My contracts, Civ Pro and Torts professors are amazing while the others are good but not amazing. Have you had a chance to visit yet? If you haven't I would HIGHLY suggest it and I can have you sit in on my classes so you can get a real feel for it. I've met many of the other upper level faculty who are honestly, some of the most brilliant people i've ever met who are also more than willing to go out and talk over coffee or lunch. This is very unique based on the schools i looked at.



It's that I'm on the left side of the political spectrum... :-) But I'm glad that it wasn't totally obvious to everyone!

Thanks so much for the info. Really good to know about the competitiveness factor...it's so hard to find that stuff out (just as every law school says they are all about public interest work, they all seem to claim that their students are very collaborative, but I just don't buy it).

I really want to visit but I'm almost afraid to, both because I'm afraid it'll jinx getting in (and I'm not even superstitious!!) and/or that if I don't get in, it'll make it that much more heartbreaking ...


I think that this is pretty sound advice. I am very impressed with my profs, and I am shocked at how much students help eachother out. I am a 1L as well.

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby the lantern » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Would any CU students have input on what the employment outlook looks like for CU grads in the current market? Better/the same/worse than the rest of the country? I'm trying to decide between a few state schools, CU, OSU, and UGA, though I think CU is where I'll end up. Thanks.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrclean17, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests