Capital University Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tkaninenberg

Re: Capital University Law School

Postby tkaninenberg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 pm

I recently applied to Capital it is not my first choice, more less my "safe" school I guess, really want to go to cincy, any way.
My status checker for capital states decision rendered and will be mailing you our descision. I do know that in terms what it means but is it a good sign or does it necessarilly mean your rejected and we just don't want to be impersonal, so we are going to mail you a letter.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 pm

33k tuition and rising, coupled with large percentage of class paying sticker, and finally a paltry median grant amount of 8k=don't go here. Capital, unless you have guaranteed full tuition or within 2-3k or so and plan on living within a highly disciplined cost-cutting regimen, is NOT a school you should consider. The average debt is 99k and rising.

And for the love of god don't base any decision on alumni. Every school can boast about some alum on their website but that doesn't mean anything. If you find a job, what if it pays 40k? With a loan balance right at or over 100k you will be in deep shit.

solarae

Postby solarae » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 pm

also waiting for my "mailed decision" and definitely hoping for major $ otherwise I can't afford it . excited, tho!

tkaninenberg

Postby tkaninenberg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Has anyone received their decision letter. Status checker said it mailed on the 25th. Still have not got it it's only coming from columbus to cincy?

solarae

Postby solarae » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I got my acceptance but it took about 2 days longer than it should have.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:33k tuition and rising, coupled with large percentage of class paying sticker, and finally a paltry median grant amount of 8k=don't go here. Capital, unless you have guaranteed full tuition or within 2-3k or so and plan on living within a highly disciplined cost-cutting regimen, is NOT a school you should consider. The average debt is 99k and rising.

And for the love of god don't base any decision on alumni. Every school can boast about some alum on their website but that doesn't mean anything. If you find a job, what if it pays 40k? With a loan balance right at or over 100k you will be in deep shit.

Even If You Told Prospective Law Students the Truth, Would They Care?

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/even-if- ... they-care/

rphills123

Postby rphills123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:40 am

the older crowd in cbus thinks capital is still number 1. the school used to be for the longest time. if you live here and want to stay here its a good choice. AND they will make sure you pass the bar. BUT if you want to leave ohio, you may as well pick OSU because of its nationwide rep. I did three years at cap and its a great local school. of course you get all the left wing political drama you would at any school. WORD OF WARNING. there are more lawyers than jobs. if you are poli sci...there are 100000 of you. if you are business, consider an MBA. there is a lot of competition. many people have MBAs before they come to law school.

rphills123

Postby rphills123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:43 am

Also realize that its competitive grading....so if you get a scholarship, to keep it, you have to be above average in your class. If they give you a crap scholarship but you get into a better school without a scholarship, the resume benefit will outweigh the little money you save.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 am

rphills123 wrote:the older crowd in cbus thinks capital is still number 1. the school used to be for the longest time. if you live here and want to stay here its a good choice. AND they will make sure you pass the bar. BUT if you want to leave ohio, you may as well pick OSU because of its nationwide rep. I did three years at cap and its a great local school. of course you get all the left wing political drama you would at any school. WORD OF WARNING. there are more lawyers than jobs. if you are poli sci...there are 100000 of you. if you are business, consider an MBA. there is a lot of competition. many people have MBAs before they come to law school.

Hate to say it (I live in cbus) and saying that Ohio State has a national reputation is a reach. It is still a regional school just like pretty much every school out of the t14. The difference is that it is pretty cheap (especially for residents) and is still a good choice if you want to stay in Ohio. Capital isn't even a regional school anymore. I don't know how someone could go to a school that has a 20% attrition rate in it's first year. Not to mention the dismal prospects upon graduation with the average debt being $98,531 and 92 percent of it's grads having debt. Remember, in 2009 only 86.7% of grads were employed within 9 months and that it dosent't mean that those jobs involved legal work. They could just as easily report they have a job while they are working at Wal-Mart.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /grad_debt

I know that there will be hundreds of students that will go anyway and take on thousands of dollars in non dischargeable debt for a school who's diploma would have better use in fueling a fire, but at least I can't say I didn't try to warn you.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Above is credited. I am from Ohio and know Capital grads who are in deep trouble. Even if you are paying "only" say, 20k a year tuition with a decent scholarship, you still leave with heavy debt. Ohio is flooded with schools and Capital's reach is inside I-270. It would be cheaper to go to an out of state school at sticker non-resident than go to Capital.

The prospects vs. debt is terrible. I posted it earlier, median grant is 10k and 40% of class pays sticker. People at OSU are coming out with nothing and not finding anything, so how can Capital place? You would need to have money saved up for a prolonged job search post graduation and this would be hard with a heavy debt load.

thomaspickles

Postby thomaspickles » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:11 am

Anyone thinking about attending Capital this year? What's the average scholarship amount - I got one and don't know if that's just a standard pull or if it's somewhat legitimate.

I'd be doing part-time evening.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”