Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
champ33

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

Post by champ33 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Is Brooklyn Law really that bad?[/quote]

No.[/quote]

How would you know and upon what are you basing your opinion?[/quote]

Reasonable man I respect your presence on these boards, as well as others with strong realistic opinions, but I still find myself trying to discredit pure negativity in regard to my law school plans, because embracing it in respect to future plans whose outcome is sort of far off and nebulous can be nothing but detrimental in my opinion. With that said, I am pretty sure that you are a practicing attorney, so I would like your opinion. Or anyone else's for that matter. Do you think it is an entirely awful decision to attend BLS or any other NYC t2.. St. John's, Rutgers-N etc. with a full or near full scholarship and housing paid? I'd be ecstatic to attend a t14 but have taken the LSAT 3 times and scored 165 twice as my highest, so these are the options I'm working with. Any input is appreciated.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:11 pm

champ33 wrote:Is Brooklyn Law really that bad?
No.[/quote]

How would you know and upon what are you basing your opinion?[/quote]

Reasonable man I respect your presence on these boards, as well as others with strong realistic opinions, but I still find myself trying to discredit pure negativity in regard to my law school plans, because embracing it in respect to future plans whose outcome is sort of far off and nebulous can be nothing but detrimental in my opinion. With that said, I am pretty sure that you are a practicing attorney, so I would like your opinion. Or anyone else's for that matter. Do you think it is an entirely awful decision to attend BLS or any other NYC t2.. St. John's, Rutgers-N etc. with a full or near full scholarship and housing paid? I'd be ecstatic to attend a t14 but have taken the LSAT 3 times and scored 165 twice as my highest, so these are the options I'm working with. Any input is appreciated.[/quote]

If the money was guaranteed; and biglaw is not your goal, then I see nothing wrong with it. If biglaw is your goal or the money comes with grade stipulations, I think its a pretty bad idea.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:26 am

why would a practicing lawyer be posting in a thread about a 1L taking questions? because he is pathetic?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:38 am

Stringer6 wrote:because he is pathetic?

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Stringer6 wrote:why would a practicing lawyer be posting in a thread about a 1L taking questions? because he is pathetic?
I love this. Not directed at reasonable man but I hate how negative everyone is. Yes the economy sucks but does that mean we have to all roll over and die?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 am

MrKappus wrote:
I'm sorry if I regard BLS as the worst value in the nation for its grads as compared to any other school and believe the place should be shut down. I had no idea that makes me "pathetic."

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:06 am

reasonable_man wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
I'm sorry if I regard BLS as the worst value in the nation for its grads as compared to any other school and believe the place should be shut down. I had no idea that makes me "pathetic."
This wouldn't make you pathetic, just stupid. Worst in the nation?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 am

Prove me wrong.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:50 pm

prove yourself right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moxiechicknyc

New

Post by moxiechicknyc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking questions. How is financial aid? How much grant and scholarship money do you think the average person receives?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Worse than NYLS?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:57 pm

reasonable man,

for the record, how you regard BLS does not make you pathetic. how you spend your time does.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Stringer6 wrote:reasonable man,

for the record, how you regard BLS does not make you pathetic. how you spend your time does.
I don't understand this sentiment at all. I can understand if you think reasonable_man is too harsh in the way he approaches the subject matter but the fact is that he actually survived a shitty law school and has a good job and can pay off his loans. Wanting to warn other people about the pitfalls he almost succumbed to isn't bad, nor is giving people advice by telling them how he managed to scrap his way into a real job. It's not like it's difficult to post 30 times a day and still be working your ass off in the office. I just don't understand this line of thought. Please explain it to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:10 pm

okay.

1. the title of this thread is "Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions..." RM's comments are exaggerated and repetitive. They add nothing. We get it. Brooklyn is THE WORST SCHOOL EVER. "Harsh" isn't the word; "hyperbolic" and "dickheadish" are more accurate.

2. If he wants to give advice on how to scrap, I don't see it in this thread. What "shitty law school" did he survive? Just saying "shitty law school" is pretentious and not productive.

3. Personally, once I get into school, I will probably never visit this site again. Maybe to get some study tips or something, but other than that, bye-bye. I can't fathom why a practicing lawyer would make the comments RM has made in a thread like this. It makes him seem...pathetic.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Stringer6 wrote:okay.

1. the title of this thread is "Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions..." RM's comments are exaggerated and repetitive. They add nothing. We get it. Brooklyn is THE WORST SCHOOL EVER. "Harsh" isn't the word; "hyperbolic" and "dickheadish" are more accurate.

2. If he wants to give advice on how to scrap, I don't see it in this thread. What "shitty law school" did he survive? Just saying "shitty law school" is pretentious and not productive.

3. Personally, once I get into school, I will probably never visit this site again. Maybe to get some study tips or something, but other than that, bye-bye. I can't fathom why a practicing lawyer would make the comments RM has made in a thread like this. It makes him seem...pathetic.
1. I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe there's something I'm missing. However, you'd have to pay me about twice what BLS costs to attend. Maybe it's not the worst ever, but it's pretty bad.

2. His great advice is all over the employment forum and has been on TLS for a while. His personal details are not mind to disclose, so I don't know why you'd ask me.

3. So because it's what you think you will do, it's what you think everyone has to do? Have you seen the employment forum or bothered to look at all the great advice about how to get clerkships and other elite positions that you won't get without research and advice? There is a wealth of information on TLS beyond admissions information and calling someone pathetic when they provide a lot of that information seems, oh, I don't know, pretty pathetic.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 pm

1. I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe there's something I'm missing. However, you'd have to pay me about twice what BLS costs to attend. Maybe it's not the worst ever, but it's pretty bad.
okay. well, i'm talking about this thread. so you do agree that he's using hyperbole rather than accurate info.
2. His great advice is all over the employment forum and has been on TLS for a while. His personal details are not mind to disclose, so I don't know why you'd ask me.
that's great. i'm talking about this thread. i asked you because you brought up the "shitty school."
3. So because it's what you think you will do, it's what you think everyone has to do?
yes, that's exactly what i said. i'm telling all of you what you have to do.
Have you seen the employment forum or bothered to look at all the great advice about how to get clerkships and other elite positions that you won't get without research and advice?
i'm not talking about other forums. i'm sure they're great. i'm also sure it's not info that can be found only on TLS. what i said about RM has nothing to do with what he's posted elsewhere. i thought that was pretty clear.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 pm

If you're confining your TLS experience to this thread, you've already lost, so I'm not going to continue to argue with you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 pm

If you're confining your TLS experience to this thread
sigh

confining my comments in this thread to things that have been said in this thread. kind of like a conversation in which the parties stick to the topic at issue.

i agree, though. argument over.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Stringer6 wrote:okay.

First and foremost, congratulations on using the word hyperbole more than 10 times in your last 2 posts. That, in and of itself, is a tremendous achievement and I applaud you, young scholar.

I wonder why it is that you believe that the only people that belong on here are hapless college kids like yourself? Talk about the fucking blind leading the blind. Do you really want a mass exodus of the older posters on this site? What would be left? A bunch of kids talking about how they are going to attend BLS, graduate, sign on at Cravath and earn 160k to start... I, and the older generation of people on here, serve as moderators of stupidity. We pass along a wealth of knowledge you can only obtain by having already been through the process. And we do it for free, so you’re welcome you little shit.

Do you believe that lawyers don’t take breaks? What would you have me do in my 14 minutes of down-time? Why does it bother you that I post here? Would it be ok if I were reading above the law or JDU instead? What’s the difference? At least here, perhaps, I can, from time to time, pass along some information to someone that can use it. And you’ll excuse me if not every single one of my posts is dripping with useful information, but everyone has their off days. And sometimes, just sometimes, I see something so absurd that I feel compelled to be a dick head about it. I’m sure you can relate.

I’ve worked in various capacities at a large international law firm, a mid-sized regional firm, a solo shop and presently, as an associate at a Wall Street firm. I’ve been at this since 2004. I attended one of the bottom 30 schools in the County and still wound up earning 90k a year within 24 months of graduation. That doesn’t happen very often. As a matter of fact, statistically, it happens almost never.

But you see the thing is; I’m not all that special. I just happen to be pretty good at this shit and have managed to leverage an above average work ethic along with the capacity to make people believe they are better off with me on their side than not, into a good amount of success. And when asked, I openly explain in detail how I did that. I also jump in when I see really poor advice that will lead to some detriment to posters and try to correct absurdity. Is that really a horrible thing?

So now why don’t we do this. You go back down to mom and dad’s basement and dream about your big plans and take shots at “pathetic” people and I’ll get back to work. So as I look out the window of my office from the penthouse level of one of the oldest and most historic buildings in the financial district onto the Hudson and Elis Island, I’ll try my very hardest to feel truly bad about you calling me pathetic and attacking my use of hyperbole from your parent’s basement. And you should do your best to pry yourself away from the Men interested in Men section of Craigslist and get out there and really live your life. Good luck skipper.

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Come on Paratactical, just getting on a forum and bashing a school is not advice. Im sure RM knows a lot and gives great advice but there are people on these forumsthat love to just put others down. And it has nothing to do with trying to warn people, its about being superior.

The people on these boards with 3000+ post seem pretty miserable and love to bash others. I can predict everyones advice before I read what they say. It doesn't matter what the question is but if a person is considering anything other than Yale the response will be "retake the LSAT and you suck"

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:Come on Paratactical, just getting on a forum and bashing a school is not advice. Im sure RM knows a lot and gives great advice but there are people on these forumsthat love to just put others down. And it has nothing to do with trying to warn people, its about being superior.

The people on these boards with 3000+ post seem pretty miserable and love to bash others. I can predict everyones advice before I read what they say. It doesn't matter what the question is but if a person is considering anything other than Yale the response will be "retake the LSAT and you suck"

Actually, I believe my typical response to even people who want to go to BLS is that: a) Any law school will teach you the law; b) much of it is what you make of it; c) Transferring is not a true option, so don't go to a school that you would be unhappy graduating at median from; d) if you attend BLS, or similar schools, that is fine and good, but you should go with the understanding that extended unemployment and/or, best case scenario, a job earning 40 to 70k in a low end field such as trip and fall personal injury or foreclosures, etc., is not just possible, its the norm; e) you will have to hustle in a way you do not even understand in order to get a job.

I just took part in hiring at my firm. For one job, we got about 300 plus resumes in less than 2 weeks from graduates of law schools ranked as high as yale and as low as NYLS.. These kids are all "good" applicants and yet, they all have no job... Getting ahead right now is harder than ever and it takes more than just going to a law school. It takes setting yourself apart and that is, essentially, what I try to pass along to people thinking about attending lower ranked schools.

My particular feelings about BLS are such that the school is huge, career services is terrible, they are notorious for gaming the numbers, the reputation in NY is exceedingly poor and it costs a ton of money to attend. I see no reason to sugar coat those feelings for adults. My LS was a worse pile of shit than BLS, so believe me, there is no eletism coming from my corner..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:Come on Paratactical, just getting on a forum and bashing a school is not advice. Im sure RM knows a lot and gives great advice but there are people on these forumsthat love to just put others down. And it has nothing to do with trying to warn people, its about being superior.

To be fair, we're talking about Brooklyn, one of the law schools that works the hardest to rip off and deceive applicants while expending no serious effort to ensure that their students are employed. If these kinds of critiques and nasty things were being thrown around at a school that actually graduates people with reasonable chances of gainful employment reasonably related to the amount of debt they incured, my position might mirror yours more than RM's.

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 pm

paratactical wrote:

To be fair, we're talking about Brooklyn, one of the law schools that works the hardest to rip off and deceive applicants while expending no serious effort to ensure that their students are employed. If these kinds of critiques and nasty things were being thrown around at a school that actually graduates people with reasonable chances of gainful employment reasonably related to the amount of debt they incured, my position might mirror yours more than RM's.

Fair enough. I don't know a lot about Brooklyn Laws employment prospects. If you had your choice between Brooklyn and Hofstra which one do you think is a better be for patent law?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I wonder why it is that you believe that the only people that belong on here are hapless college kids like yourself? Talk about the fucking blind leading the blind. Do you really want a mass exodus of the older posters on this site? What would be left? A bunch of kids talking about how they are going to attend BLS, graduate, sign on at Cravath and earn 160k to start... I, and the older generation of people on here, serve as moderators of stupidity. We pass along a wealth of knowledge you can only obtain by having already been through the process. And we do it for free, so you’re welcome you little shit.
what are you talking about? i haven't said anything about who i think should post here, or how old they should be. no one referenced cravath or any salary. what i HAVE said is that your comments in this thread are not productive, and i'm puzzled as to why you would make them. i haven't said anything about BLS or what i think of it. and i'm not in college. feel free to keep addressing points that were never made, though. in this thread, you are/were being and asshole. sorry.
Do you believe that lawyers don’t take breaks? What would you have me do in my 14 minutes of down-time? Why does it bother you that I post here? Would it be ok if I were reading above the law or JDU instead? What’s the difference? At least here, perhaps, I can, from time to time, pass along some information to someone that can use it. And you’ll excuse me if not every single one of my posts is dripping with useful information, but everyone has their off days. And sometimes, just sometimes, I see something so absurd that I feel compelled to be a dick head about it. I’m sure you can relate.
again, you are arguing against points that have not been made. i don't care that you post here! i was commenting on your comments in this thread. welcome to the internet. okay, so you're having an off day. that's all you had to say.
I’ve worked in various capacities at a large international law firm, a mid-sized regional firm, a solo shop and presently, as an associate at a Wall Street firm. I’ve been at this since 2004. I attended one of the bottom 30 schools in the County and still wound up earning 90k a year within 24 months of graduation. That doesn’t happen very often. As a matter of fact, statistically, it happens almost never.

But you see the thing is; I’m not all that special. I just happen to be pretty good at this shit and have managed to leverage an above average work ethic along with the capacity to make people believe they are better off with me on their side than not, into a good amount of success. And when asked, I openly explain in detail how I did that. I also jump in when I see really poor advice that will lead to some detriment to posters and try to correct absurdity. Is that really a horrible thing?
all of this is great. congratulations. the person that made this thread is attending BLS and answering questions for those interested in the school. i don't know what he's saying that is absurd or that warranted you jumping in with your "off day" comments.
So now why don’t we do this. You go back down to mom and dad’s basement and dream about your big plans and take shots at “pathetic” people and I’ll get back to work.
haha. i'm at work too. it's in an old building in manhattan, too. probably not as historic as yours, i admit.
So as I look out the window of my office from the penthouse level of one of the oldest and most historic buildings in the financial district onto the Hudson and Elis Island, I’ll try my very hardest to feel truly bad about you calling me pathetic and attacking my use of hyperbole from your parent’s basement.
hahaha, you sound awesome. and again, i'm not in college, and i have my very own special apartment in the very same city you're looking down on.
And you should do your best to pry yourself away from the Men interested in Men section of Craigslist and get out there and really live your life. Good luck skipper.
and the homophobic comment is the cherry on top! carry on!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:50 pm

guys, he's on the penthouse level!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”