Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
toptwin

New

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by toptwin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Sandro wrote:If IU was Cooley they would include UG girl's looks in their rankings, and rank themselves #1.

Made me LOL

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 pm

mohuohu wrote:It's a popular conception that IU's undergrad scene is dominated by Greek life. Does this vibe filter up through to the law school at all? Or is the UG social scene more separated from the older folk?
Just in the fact that there is a frat right next to the law school. Also, random sorority chicks come into the library from time to time and sometimes get kicked out.

FromtheD

New

Post by FromtheD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:45 pm

no females to vouch for male studliness????

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 pm

so I've never been to bloomington, but I am assuming that outdoor life is pretty good.
Any runners or bikers, etc can speak of the conditions? Are there lots of running trails in town?
Monroe Lake is pretty close? What is it like?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 pm

How about housing? When should someone lock down an apartment? How close and how nice can you get them? What's a reasonable price? Looking for a studio with no roommate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

How excited are you about the recruiting class Tom Crean is putting together? Hanner Perea and Kevin Ferrell are two of the top players at their respective positions. Lest we forget this year's signee, Cody Zeller.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm

kcfella wrote:Thank you for this thread, it has been very helpful to me.

I am visiting next week and am really looking forward to it. My wife is coming and we will be trying to lock down housing while we are there. We have three young kids so are looking for a house. I have seen a lot online for rent around Bryan park for about $1500 and some nicer ones for about $1400 around the YMCA. Are these good areas to live? Are they walking distance to campus?

Where do the married students with families live? I am obviously open to spending less and would love to be closer to the school so I could really use some suggestions. I am open to townhouses, duplexes and single family homes.

Also, does anybody currently in Bloomington know of something like this that is coming available this June (I am a summer start)?

Thanks
Bryan Park is within walking distance, but you will likely hate yourself in the winter. Depending where around Bryan Park, you could get within 10-20 minutes.

The YMCA neighborhoods are a more established area that is a little bit newer, but not within walking distance.

You will have to be farther away from the school to get a place to fit three kids. Most places within easy walking distance are either smaller, more expensive, or both.

Hope this helps.
VictrixRapax wrote:How excited are you about the recruiting class Tom Crean is putting together? Hanner Perea and Kevin Ferrell are two of the top players at their respective positions. Lest we forget this year's signee, Cody Zeller.
After the season the Hoosiers have been having this year... it's hard to get too excited. I haven't followed IU's signings, but I know Crean was a good pickup. I hope it goes well, the games are a lot of fun. I will now google the players you mentioned.
Last edited by Spoonmanners on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm

seriously???? wrote:so I've never been to bloomington, but I am assuming that outdoor life is pretty good.
Any runners or bikers, etc can speak of the conditions? Are there lots of running trails in town?
Loads of trails. Bloomington has a "Rails and Trails" program trying to get bike and jogger paths through the town. I've been on a number of them, and they are pretty cool and kept in good shape, most of them are paved. When the weather is nice they are really popular.

Verity wrote:How about housing? When should someone lock down an apartment? How close and how nice can you get them? What's a reasonable price? Looking for a studio with no roommate.
I know some of the places fill up by December, like the spots on the square. I'd recommend March or April or so. The longer you wait, the fewer places that are out there. Burnham is right there, like a 2 minute walk, but I think rent was over a grand a month. There are plenty of other places in town obviously, and the closer/nicer you get to the school, the more expensive it gets.

Poolside is about a 10 minute walk, they don't allow undergrads, and is around $500ish if I remember right.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 pm

I hope Crean can turn it around with the new recruits coming in, I know some people who follow the team closely are pretty excited about them. Plus Crean is the brother in law to Jim and John Harbaugh.

The youtube video of the IU students bragging about the 5 NCAA championship banners from 20+ years ago is kinda sad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 pm

kings84_wr wrote: Plus Crean is the brother in law to Jim and John Harbaugh.
I didn't know that.

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Spoonmanners wrote: After the season the Hoosiers have been having this year... it's hard to get too excited. I haven't followed IU's signings, but I know Crean was a good pickup. I hope it goes well, the games are a lot of fun. I will now google the players you mentioned.
You guys will be fine in a couple of years. Thanks for taking my post seriously, btw. Always down to talk some sports- or anything.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 pm

I actually think that sports does have some relevance to law school discussion.

In about every interview I had during OCI in LA, when asked about IU they all would ask if it was the Bobby knight school. I actually think to some extent national exposure is affected by the basketball program and getting back would be good for the law school and school in general.

Plus IU needs stop letting Butler/Purdue/Notre dame represent basketball for the state of Indiana haha.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:05 am

kings84_wr wrote:I actually think that sports does have some relevance to law school discussion.

In about every interview I had during OCI in LA, when asked about IU they all would ask if it was the Bobby knight school. I actually think to some extent national exposure is affected by the basketball program and getting back would be good for the law school and school in general.

Plus IU needs stop letting Butler/Purdue/Notre dame represent basketball for the state of Indiana haha.
Actually, I agree. I liked the law schools with better college teams than other ones. Sorry Kings, but I applied to USC, and thought nothing of ignoring UCLA. USC had a really nice football team at the time. I'd hate myself for going to a Lane Kiffin employed school.

I think a good sports team can help relate and associate some name recognition with those not in that geographic area.

Also, VictrixRapax, I swear I was told the exact same thing a couple of years ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 am

kings84_wr wrote:I actually think that sports does have some relevance to law school discussion.

Kevin Wilson is a good hire for the Hoosier football program, too. I know it's never going to be elite, but he'll get you guys to bowl games.

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 am

Also, VictrixRapax, I swear I was told the exact same thing a couple of years ago.
Truth this time. Crean is no Sampson.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 am

Sorry... meant to include: I have no idea how I ended up at IU. The majority of the schools I applied to had great football/basketball programs, with very little other differentiation. I think it means I make poor decisions sometimes.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:20 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I hope Crean can turn it around with the new recruits coming in, I know some people who follow the team closely are pretty excited about them. Plus Crean is the brother in law to Jim and John Harbaugh.

The youtube video of the IU students bragging about the 5 NCAA championship banners from 20+ years ago is kinda sad.
John Harbaugh is my deity of choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Verity wrote:How about housing? When should someone lock down an apartment? How close and how nice can you get them? What's a reasonable price? Looking for a studio with no roommate.
I know some of the places fill up by December, like the spots on the square. I'd recommend March or April or so. The longer you wait, the fewer places that are out there. Burnham is right there, like a 2 minute walk, but I think rent was over a grand a month. There are plenty of other places in town obviously, and the closer/nicer you get to the school, the more expensive it gets.

Poolside is about a 10 minute walk, they don't allow undergrads, and is around $500ish if I remember right.
Thanks. Any LS students actually live in on-campus housing? What's the difference, cost-wise?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Verity wrote:Thanks. Any LS students actually live in on-campus housing? What's the difference, cost-wise?
Very few.

MaurerFan

New

Post by MaurerFan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 am

If you're interested in IP and considering IUB, talk to me. I worked at one of the world's largest medical device manufacturers this summer as in-house counsel and can tell you first-hand about IUB's IP program. Feel free to email me at jedelst2@gmail.com . I have a bioengineering background so I am mostly biotech/chemistry focused, but I can certainly get in touch with EE/MEs for all you mechanically and electrically inclined folks.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 am

So Has IU admitted anyone and not given them 100K+ this year? It seems like just about everyone is getting some serious cash.

It looks like they are really trying to push the LSAT numbers

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

seriously???? wrote:so I've never been to bloomington, but I am assuming that outdoor life is pretty good.
Bloomington is a biking town to the core. Bikers in training for Little 5 are omnipresent the whole year long. People obviously run a lot as well, but damn... never seen so many bikers in my life.

As for mountain biking, I got a buddy still down in the law school who loves it. If you want some more detail, PM me and I can probably give you his email.

ryanshep

New

Post by ryanshep » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Alright just booked my visit for law day, we should do a TLS bar review....?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 pm

kings84_wr wrote:It looks like they are really trying to push the LSAT numbers
Yes. This is an aggressive move at pushing up the median LSAT.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Verity wrote:Thanks. Any LS students actually live in on-campus housing? What's the difference, cost-wise?
I live on campus and yeah, there are a few of us. My place is $650/mo., all utilities included, they'll come in right away if you need maintenance, etc. I'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty quiet, which can be boring, but might ultimately be better for a 1L. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”