Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Last edited by Ludacrispat26 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 pm

hidden behind the blue lounge is the green lounge.

New

Post by 5782 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:43 pm

beachbum wrote:How difficult is it to get BigLaw in Charlotte? I noticed that Duke places a fair amount of grads in NC; do these grads tend to have strong (pre-existing) NC connections? I ask because my girlfriend (who will probably be fiance in the next year or so) REALLY wants to stay in NC, and Charlotte seems like a place I would really enjoy, too. We're moving in together (she's gonna be working), and she's going to become an NC resident. Her sister (along with husband and kids) lives in Greensboro.

I know very little of the Charlotte market (beyond the beating it took in the recession). But how is it for Duke grads? And will my "connections" be good enough to at least get a look from Charlotte firms? Thanks a lot.
From my (admittedly limited) experience so far, interviewing in NC without being from NC requires you to state your connections to the area, but it's certainly possible to get a job. I can't tell you anything about the Charlotte biglaw market, but I can tell you that some people stay in NC even though they're not from here. You'll want to be proactive in telling employers that you want to stay--having a fiance with family here and who wants to stay is a decently compelling reason.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:13 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:hidden behind the blue lounge is the green lounge.

gnmnkch

New

Post by gnmnkch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Would you guys mind chiming in on my situation (UCLA$$ vs. Duke$ vs. NYU) (here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=151710 )? Since you guys know what's going on at Duke I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks a bunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:18 am

Does anyone have a sense of how possible/impossible it is to get off the Priority Reserve list?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Zabini wrote:Does anyone have a sense of how possible/impossible it is to get off the Priority Reserve list?
Last year there were 0 offers given to waitlisted candidates at Duke, Chicago, and several others. With the dip in applications you'll probably have a slightly better shot this year.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:06 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Zabini wrote:Does anyone have a sense of how possible/impossible it is to get off the Priority Reserve list?
Last year there were 0 offers given to waitlisted candidates at Duke, Chicago, and several others. With the dip in applications you'll probably have a slightly better shot this year.
Although I'm not sure that they count PR as WL. I've talked to one person in my section who was admitted off of PR. So take that as you may. Still, I don't think the odds are great.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) hotel in the area? My gf and I are moving down to Durham in early June, and our parents (well, my mom and her parents) are gonna be spending a week in the area to help us get settled in, and to generally explore Raleigh-Durham, Duke, and some other areas and attractions in NC.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive (but not sketchy) hotel, if ya'll have any suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 pm

beachbum wrote:Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) hotel in the area? My gf and I are moving down to Durham in early June, and our parents (well, my mom and her parents) are gonna be spending a week in the area to help us get settled in, and to generally explore Raleigh-Durham, Duke, and some other areas and attractions in NC.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive (but not sketchy) hotel, if ya'll have any suggestions. Thanks a lot.
Avoid the Millenium no matter what you do.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:55 pm

los blancos wrote: Avoid the Millenium no matter what you do.
Check out the Millenium for sure. I've heard good things.

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 pm

has anyone here ever gone to get a NC drivers license? Did you have to take a road test? The DMV site says its up to the discretion of the examiner, I don't have so much as a parking ticket on my record so I'm hoping I can just do the written test.

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:16 am

Just wanted to say thanks for all those Duke students answering our questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 pm

los blancos wrote:
beachbum wrote:Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) hotel in the area? My gf and I are moving down to Durham in early June, and our parents (well, my mom and her parents) are gonna be spending a week in the area to help us get settled in, and to generally explore Raleigh-Durham, Duke, and some other areas and attractions in NC.

Avoid the Millenium no matter what you do.
After having signed the bill with the correct price, they overcharged my credit card by $75. Which, I only discovered upon checking my online credit card statement (they did refund the money upon my discovery/complaint). Positives: large room, shuttle to the law school on the hour and the half hour.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:41 pm

QuailMan wrote:has anyone here ever gone to get a NC drivers license? Did you have to take a road test? The DMV site says its up to the discretion of the examiner, I don't have so much as a parking ticket on my record so I'm hoping I can just do the written test.
The NC DMV just might be the worst agency ever. My view is that you should avoid dealing with them whenever possible.

Getting a car registered took me 12 trips to the DMV.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
QuailMan wrote:has anyone here ever gone to get a NC drivers license? Did you have to take a road test? The DMV site says its up to the discretion of the examiner, I don't have so much as a parking ticket on my record so I'm hoping I can just do the written test.
The NC DMV just might be the worst agency ever. My view is that you should avoid dealing with them whenever possible.

Getting a car registered took me 12 trips to the DMV.
Interesting. I got my DL in about 2 hours and registered both cars at the DMV in about 30 minutes. Just make sure you read all the stuff on the website carefully before you go in. It makes the DMV people angry if you get everything right on the first try.

And to keep this thread on point, Duke is awesome and you should come here.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah, I didn't have any trouble getting an NC license either. *shrug*

BTW do ALL 2Ls get Chem/Whitford permits? Do any 2Ls have to park in the Green lot?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

los blancos wrote:Yeah, I didn't have any trouble getting an NC license either. *shrug*

BTW do ALL 2Ls get Chem/Whitford permits? Do any 2Ls have to park in the Green lot?
Not even close. I'd say the majority of 2Ls are in the green lot. Which was awesome for the last week or so when they closed off about 80 spaces for alumni weekend preparations :evil:

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 pm

wiseowl wrote:
los blancos wrote:Yeah, I didn't have any trouble getting an NC license either. *shrug*

Not even close. I'd say the majority of 2Ls are in the green lot. Which was awesome for the last week or so when they closed off about 80 spaces for alumni weekend preparations :evil:
Yeah that really sucked.

Hmm fair enough. Likely will not be getting a parking permit, then (unless I get Chem/Whitford in the lottery).

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:39 pm

wiseowl wrote:

I might hate the parking people as much as the DMV people.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 pm

wiseowl wrote:

That blows. I got jobbed out of getting the classes I wanted next fall and I'll likely have to make the 15 minute trek from the Green Zone just to get said classes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Did any of you all attend wintersession? Was it helpful/worthwhile?

Also, what's the pro bono culture like at Duke? Do most students contribute significant pro bono hours? Anyone want to share their experiences?

And as always, thanks for the responses.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:19 pm

I am a man of very simple tastes when it comes to an apartment. Do you guys know of an area or complex that has cheap apartments and no (or limited) knifings? Thanks in advance for your advice?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 pm

beachbum wrote:Did any of you all attend wintersession? Was it helpful/worthwhile?

Also, what's the pro bono culture like at Duke? Do most students contribute significant pro bono hours? Anyone want to share their experiences?

And as always, thanks for the responses.
I did one Wintersession class. Overall it was okay, there are some kinks that need to be worked out. One issue is that the courses had wildly different expectations - the one I took had 12 pages total of reading and a couple of very light group assignments in class, while another had hundreds of pages of reading and an exam that many students were forced to redo.

It seems most beneficial for 3Ls, because
1.) they get first crack at registration and many of the classes were full before 2Ls even got a shot at it
2.) you can count the credits toward spring semester so you can take less than a full load your last semester.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Pro Bono:

I don't even know what you mean by this, so I'd say there is a good portion of people that don't do pro bono. As you will learn as a 1L, time is precious and commitments can add to stress. Clinics, which I'm guessing are what you are talking about, seem to be somewhat popular starting 2L spring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”