UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lookingin

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by lookingin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 am

danitt wrote:I've noticed the orientation documentation...

Was this information in an orientation related letter or email? I haven't received any orientation documentation...

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 am

lookingin wrote:

Was this information in an orientation related letter or email? I haven't received any orientation documentation...
It was an international student mailing. We generally have to get things done sooner so they send us a checklist etc.

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 am

danitt wrote:
lookingin wrote:

It was an international student mailing. We generally have to get things done sooner so they send us a checklist etc.
Ah! Thanks :)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Section H: CivPro with Nelson, Contracts with Johnston, Crim with Coughlin, Torts with Barzun.

Will life be sunshine and rainbows if I get Section H?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Section H: CivPro with Nelson, Contracts with Johnston, Crim with Coughlin, Torts with Barzun.

Dont play the what section will I get game. I did that last year and it didnt work out. Most 1L professors at UVA are really good. Wait till you see who you have and then post on here and we will give you feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Are there standard 1L texts that I should but while I still have a job and therefore money?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 pm

danitt wrote:Are there standard 1L texts that I should but while I still have a job and therefore money?
No, with the exception of the Bonnie/Coughlin/Jeffries/Low Criminal Law casebook. If you find it for cheap ($100 or less), you should probably snag it. It was written by four of our Crim profs, and I'm pretty sure every prof will use it. Even if yours doesn't, you'll at least be able to get your money back by selling it to another 1L.

Caveat: I see that there are two third editions of the book being offered on Amazon, and I can't tell the difference between them. One is selling for what I'd consider a normal price (nearly $200 new), whereas the other is being offered at a ridiculous discount ($50 new). Before you jump on the cheap one, you might want to read carefully to determine the difference between them.

cfr1225

New

Post by cfr1225 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:18 am

Section H: CivPro with Nelson, Contracts with Johnston, Crim with Coughlin, Torts with Barzun.

If you believe in God, pray to him every night before you go to bed that you get Section H. (But, at the same time, recognize that the chances aren't all that great.)

This is roughly the same line up I had 1L year (the only difference is I had Geis for Contracts), and first semester was amazing. Most of the 1L profs are good, but these guys are the all-stars.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, H is going to have some really awesome PAs.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:16 pm

cfr1225 wrote:

If you believe in God, pray to him every night before you go to bed that you get Section H. (But, at the same time, recognize that the chances aren't all that great.)

This is roughly the same line up I had 1L year (the only difference is I had Geis for Contracts), and first semester was amazing. Most of the 1L profs are good, but these guys are the all-stars.

Gotta disagree with the bolded. No All-star list is complete without Abraham teaching torts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Section H: CivPro with Nelson, Contracts with Johnston, Crim with Coughlin, Torts with Barzun.

Where did you get this info?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:35 pm

lookingin wrote:

Where did you get this info?
envisciguy wrote:So, I know you guys don't know your sections yet, but if you want to see who the 1L professors are, it's all on the UVA Law website. http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu/lawwe ... Expand=4#4

Each of Civ Pro, Crim, Torts, and Contracts have the professors listed with a section letter (or 2) next to the course name. Not all that helpful since you don't know your section, but a decent way to waste time.
it might be fun to look at, but there's no real point in doing so right now

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm setting up my utilities and stuff right now and just got to setting up a gas connection with the City. I'm from the lolSouth where it doesn't snow or get cold really. Is gas something that needs to be hooked up year-round or do you only do it for part of the year? Should I have the gas connection ready to go on August 1st?

Related: anybody know off hand which cable company is the cheapest?

ETA: Just got an e-mail about a tornado coming through from UVA. Everybody okay? Sent in error, apparently.
Last edited by North on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lookingin

Bronze

Post by lookingin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:43 pm

5ky wrote: it might be fun to look at, but there's no real point in doing so right now
Oh, cool. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:58 pm

North wrote:I'm setting up my utilities and stuff right now and just got to setting up a gas connection with the City. I'm from the lolSouth where it doesn't snow or get cold really. Is gas something that needs to be hooked up year-round or do you only do it for part of the year? Should I have the gas connection ready to go on August 1st?

Related: anybody know off hand which cable company is the cheapest?

ETA: Just got an e-mail about a tornado coming through from UVA. Everybody okay?
You have to get the gas hooked up for when your lease starts or the apartment complex has to pay it and then they charge you for doing so. The gas will probably power your oven, so you have to have it.

cfr1225

New

Post by cfr1225 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 pm

envisciguy wrote:
cfr1225 wrote:

Gotta disagree with the bolded. No All-star list is complete without Abraham teaching torts.
Fair enough. Barzun isn't the best Torts prof, but he's an amazing small section prof. So, if Torts is H's small section (which seems probable given this lineup), then Barzun is a good guy to have. Plus his curve is easy to get an A on (not that the 0Ls should be freaking out about that at all, but it's true).

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Section CivPro K's CrimLaw Torts ConLaw Property
A Collins Verkerke Low Armacost Schauer Harrison
B Mitchell Cohen Jeffries Armacost Schwartzman Nicoletti
C Woolhandler Johnston Bonnie Abraham Bowers Schragger
D Mitchell Hynes Forde-Mazrui Kendrick Schauer Mahoney
E Heytens Setear Jeffries White Prakash Kendrick
F Collins Johnson Bonnie Sprigman Nachbar Kendrick
G Nelson Kordana Low White Bowers Mahoney
H Nelson Johnston Coughlin Barzun Schwartzman Lowe
I Garrett Choi Coughlin Sprigman Goluboff Nicoletti
J Rutherglen Choi Harmon Kendrick Prakash Lowe
K Sinclair Hellman Forde-Mazrui Abraham Goluboff Harrison
L Heytens Hellman Harmon Duffy Nachbar Schragger

Would any 2Ls/3Ls like to comment on if the professors seem balanced or not? Any "dream teams" or the opposite?

I'm upset that Geis isn't teaching 1Ls :( I heard great things about him and was crossing my fingers...=/
Last edited by Yardbird on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Section H looks amazing. My lineup as a 1L was pretty much the exact same except that I had Geis for contracts. However, I've had Johnston for an elective and thought that he was both a great teacher and hilarious. Nelson will blow your mind in Civ Pro and is extremely cordial. Coughlin has a lot of energy and makes the class great. And, in my opinion, Barzun may actually be the best out of the group - but I'm biased there.

Other than that I can't really say. Abraham, Setear, and Rutherglen are all great. I don't know enough about some of the other professors to really say anything that would be substantive. Honestly, there are so many great professors at UVA that every section will have professors that they will swear by.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:42 pm

cfr1225 wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
cfr1225 wrote:

Fair enough. Barzun isn't the best Torts prof, but he's an amazing small section prof. So, if Torts is H's small section (which seems probable given this lineup), then Barzun is a good guy to have. Plus his curve is easy to get an A on (not that the 0Ls should be freaking out about that at all, but it's true).
Redacted For 0Ls sake
We were also in the same section. I wonder who you are.
Last edited by UVAIce on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Note that "a lot more" means like 2-4 more in a class of 60. You guys really shouldn't even be thinking of distributions and the current students shouldn't have even brought it up

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:46 pm

5ky wrote:Note that "a lot more" means like 2-4 more in a class of 60. You guys really shouldn't even be thinking of distributions and the current students shouldn't have even brought it up
So true, I'm just going to go back and delete some of the more 0L anxiety inducing material in my post there.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm

On an entirely different note, when in the semester should we start wondering about what to take second semester (when is registration for the Spring?). I think I'm barred from taking corporate finance/accounting because of my undergrad degree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:On an entirely different note, when in the semester should we start wondering about what to take second semester (when is registration for the Spring?). I think I'm barred from taking corporate finance/accounting because of my undergrad degree.
When the school tells you to. This is like 5 months away for you.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:50 pm

5ky wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:On an entirely different note, when in the semester should we start wondering about what to take second semester (when is registration for the Spring?). I think I'm barred from taking corporate finance/accounting because of my undergrad degree.
When the school tells you to. This is like 5 months away for you.
I just had bad luck in undergrad with registration at times so I was curious.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:53 pm

It's a long time from now and I really wouldn't worry about it. You will have some orientations on the subject and a lot of emails before the window even opens up for 1Ls. I would honestly just take a course that interests you or take a course from a professor whose teaching style you click with.

Although, for your sake, but I would almost say that the majority of my friends took at least one of these: evidence, corporations, federal tax, and anti-trust.

But really, it's hard to tell what you'll be eligible for as they won't even post the available classes for a long time, and you don't know what your sections are so you don't even know what classes you will be precluded from taking.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

October or November I think? And getting your courses is lottery based, unlike some undergrad course signups. So don't worry at all about the classes - there's no time crunch.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”