UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 pm

toolbox wrote:unless you're coming from an extremely awkward undergrad, you'll find the people to be significantly less attractive and normal than you're used to. compared to other law schools i think its pretty good and uva undergrads are insanely good-looking but....its law school. don't get your hopes up. do you reallyy wanna end up with a lawyer anyways?
People who think that UVa undergrads are "insanely good looking" have never been to a shitty state school South of the Mason Dixon line.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Visiting UVa this Wednesday. Any recommendations of what to do while in Charlottesville? ^_^ I'll only be there for a day, so mainly quick things or places to eat. Sorry if this is off topic.
Check out Downtown and the Corner because they're the primary hot spots for students? If you like running, take a look at the Rivanna Trail because it's really an awesome jogging path, and especially pretty right now. There should be some small local bands playing that day if you're into that sort of thing, check: here and here.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:that could be cool.
+1

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:If anybody feels like not objectifying women any more, that could be cool. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.
^This.

Those women you are objectifying will be your boss in a few years.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 pm

(+1)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Doritos wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:Now that we're on this topic...

What about the boys? How are the boys as dating prospects? lol
All the men here are mature, hard working, considerate, and treat women respectfully. Not a bad apple in the bunch. I'd come to school single if I were you.
Maybe doritos (if your a guy?) was speaking about himself, but there are a few bad apples. Not a lot, but a few in my experience.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 pm

:)
Last edited by uvahooo on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:40 pm

dailygrind wrote:Wha? I've never taken a stance on the hotness of our student bodies one way or another, thankyouverymuch. I was just telling a prospective about places I thought would be worth visiting.
oooooops.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 pm

toolbox wrote:unless you're coming from an extremely awkward undergrad, you'll find the people to be significantly less attractive and normal than you're used to. compared to other law schools i think its pretty good and uva undergrads are insanely good-looking but....its law school. don't get your hopes up. do you reallyy wanna end up with a lawyer anyways?
No, not coming from an awkward undergrad; my undergrad is known for having an attractive student body.
Doritos wrote: All the men here are mature, hard working, considerate, and treat women respectfully. Not a bad apple in the bunch. I'd come to school single if I were you.
Talking about yourself or being sarcastic?
$$$$$$ wrote: Terrible and Terrible - the best looking dude in the whole class won't even talk to you if you don't have a trust fund
Sorry to hear...

Anyway, thanks for all of your responses!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
People who think that UVa undergrads are "insanely good looking" have never been to a shitty state school South of the Mason Dixon line.
Truth, mayn.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:32 am

dailygrind wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Visiting UVa this Wednesday. Any recommendations of what to do while in Charlottesville? ^_^ I'll only be there for a day, so mainly quick things or places to eat. Sorry if this is off topic.
Check out Downtown and the Corner because they're the primary hot spots for students? If you like running, take a look at the Rivanna Trail because it's really an awesome jogging path, and especially pretty right now. There should be some small local bands playing that day if you're into that sort of thing, check: here and here.
Awesome, thanks!!! :D I'm pretty excited to visit the school, I've heard so many amazing things about the campus/town.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:54 am

You've actually heard amazing things about the grounds, not the campus.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:37 am

RVP11 wrote:
Badgers2012 wrote:I'm sorry but can anyone speak to the kind of girls/attractiveness that are law students at UVA? Prospective student and honestly just wondering for social aspects/dating - not meant in a demeaning way at all. Thanks.
You're in luck. Attractive/single women definitely outnumber attractive/single men by a fair bit.
Wut

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Do applicants applying ED need to submit a "Why Virginia" essay?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:Do applicants applying ED need to submit a "Why Virginia" essay?
I don't think one is required in general (although it's been nearly three years since I've applied, so maybe things have changed). If you're applying ED I think that's enough persuasion that you really want to attend UVA--why else would you apply ED?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:57 pm

If you have a compelling reason, I don't see why it would hurt. Perhaps a very specific reason why you are applying ED, other than having a better chance of getting in (i.e. spouse/family in VA). Other than that, I agree with Cavalier.

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Badgers2012 wrote:Do applicants applying ED need to submit a "Why Virginia" essay?
I don't think one is required in general (although it's been nearly three years since I've applied, so maybe things have changed). If you're applying ED I think that's enough persuasion that you really want to attend UVA--why else would you apply ED?
Thanks for the quick response. I know it is not required in general, I have just heard that "MVP prefers them." I also thought I picked up somewhere that the ED app makes a Why X essay irrelevant. I might add in a paragraph to my PS or tailor it to UVA. UVA is my #1 choice obviously

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I know it is not required in general, I have just heard that "MVP prefers them." I also thought I picked up somewhere that the ED app makes a Why X essay irrelevant. I might add in a paragraph to my PS or tailor it to UVA. UVA is my #1 choice obviously
I'd definitely tailor a paragraph in your PS to UVA; I think it's a good idea in general to do that in applications. But an entirely separate essay does seem unecessary for an ED applicant.

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Badgers2012 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
I'd definitely tailor a paragraph in your PS to UVA; I think it's a good idea in general to do that in applications. But an entirely separate essay does seem unecessary for an ED applicant.
What are ways that you can add in a paragraph about the school to a PS? I mean making it flow with the rest of the PS. Thanks

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Badgers2012 wrote: What are ways that you can add in a paragraph about the school to a PS? I mean making it flow with the rest of the PS. Thanks
I didn't actually do this in my PS, so maybe someone who actually did could give better advice. But if I had done this, I would have added a paragraph on the school at the end of my PS. My PS was basically a personal growth story, so in the last paragraph I would have talked about how my path led me to UVA and why UVA is the school for me based on my personal growth so far and my future goals.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Well if it doesn't fit than don't do it. But I think a common style of PS is to end with a paragraph about why you want to go to law school. If that's how yours is, then make the paragraph specifically about UVA rather than law school in general.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for the responses putt and cav that helps

Va L Rev Stud

New

Post by Va L Rev Stud » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Cavalier wrote:Well if it doesn't fit than don't do it. But I think a common style of PS is to end with a paragraph about why you want to go to law school. If that's how yours is, then make the paragraph specifically about UVA rather than law school in general.
Why did you want to go to UVa, friend?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Well if it doesn't fit than don't do it. But I think a common style of PS is to end with a paragraph about why you want to go to law school. If that's how yours is, then make the paragraph specifically about UVA rather than law school in general.
Because they would admit me?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
Models and bottles.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”