UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:26 pm

quakeroats wrote:How many firm offices are coming to OGI in the fall?
Hi there rising Duke 2L! How's it going? Welcome to our thread about UVA! It's so good of you to stop by :)

We're all glad that you're here. Unfortunately, we use it to help answer questions about Charlottesville and unique aspects of UVA law (our recruiting process, administrative information regarding starting as a law student, etc.) and not as a place to have pissing contests about the differences between schools.

Believe it or not, that's what the rest of TLS is for! You've probably noticed that, since the reason I know off the top of my head that you're a rising 2L at Duke is that you troll for Duke all the fucking time, and have long before you started law school.

Rest assured, the number of employers coming to UVA this fall has absolutely nothing to do with your life. On the off chance that it did, I'm sure you could find out - or at least engage in obnoxious back and forth about it - in any one of several other fine threads on these forums.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:For the 1Ls, there's extramural moot court (competing against other schools). At the start of your 2L year is the first round of intramural moot court ("Lile Moot Court")... by the time you get to 2L year (and possibly before then), most people mean the intramural moot court competition when they say "moot court."
I should have clarified this for crossingforHYS. In case he wasn't aware, everything I stated applied to the extramural moot court as I don't know hide or tail about Lile -except for the infinite amount of groans from 2L's about how time-consuming it was.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 pm

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 pm

how are the jerbs this 2l cycle? with a little leg work, is the 50th percentile getting jobs? someone said that their daughter's boyfriend who is a graduaing 3l at nyu has no job and said 30% of the class is unemployed.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Hi there rising Duke 2L! How's it going? Welcome to our thread about UVA! It's so good of you to stop by :)

We're all glad that you're here. Unfortunately, we use it to help answer questions about Charlottesville and unique aspects of UVA law (our recruiting process, administrative information regarding starting as a law student, etc.) and not as a place to have pissing contests about the differences between schools.

Believe it or not, that's what the rest of TLS is for! You've probably noticed that, since the reason I know off the top of my head that you're a rising 2L at Duke is that you troll for Duke all the fucking time, and have long before you started law school.

Rest assured, the number of employers coming to UVA this fall has absolutely nothing to do with your life. On the off chance that it did, I'm sure you could find out - or at least engage in obnoxious back and forth about it - in any one of several other fine threads on these forums.
It takes you four paragraphs to say GTFO? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 pm

quakeroats wrote:It takes you four paragraphs to say GTFO? :)
It shows he'll be a great lawyer someday.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 pm

YCrevolution wrote: He already has his punishment... the UVA thread will always be at/towards the top of his view your posts list.
It's true. It keeps UVA on my mind, that and the ATL shame parade a month back.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:05 am

More than Duke. Are you thinking of transferring? Otherwise, GTFO.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:07 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Considering your class size, I'd hope so. You all sure are coy tonight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:00 am

quakeroats wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Last I checked, there weren't any UVA law students trolling the Duke 2L taking questions thread...

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:14 pm

quakeroats wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Or being an idiot. I bet quakeroats got rejected from UVA or something and is here to take out his revenge.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 am

billyez wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:For the 1Ls, there's extramural moot court (competing against other schools). At the start of your 2L year is the first round of intramural moot court ("Lile Moot Court")... by the time you get to 2L year (and possibly before then), most people mean the intramural moot court competition when they say "moot court."
I should have clarified this for crossingforHYS. In case he wasn't aware, everything I stated applied to the extramural moot court as I don't know hide or tail about Lile -except for the infinite amount of groans from 2L's about how time-consuming it was.
Thanks for the clarrification, I was asking about the 1L side anyway so no worries, and yes I was talking about the law and public service program--- I am REALLY happy to know that it wont preclude me from looking at firms!!! Now I can apply to the program without being worried about making a decision before I even have a year of law school behind me :).

Also not that it matters, but I'm a girl.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Considering taking Property 2 with Leslie next semester. I'm not particularly interested in Property 2, but I've heard Leslie's a fun teacher, his filebinder method is interesting, and I won't actually be learning Property 2. Any comments? Also important, does anyone know what to expect on the dude's exam, and whether or not it's somewhat predictable the way other LS exams are? I think I've sort of cracked the code of what a professor tells you and how it translates into what he tests, but I'm not sure it'll translate well into his class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

dailygrind wrote:Considering taking Property 2 with Leslie next semester. I'm not particularly interested in Property 2, but I've heard Leslie's a fun teacher, his filebinder method is interesting, and I won't actually be learning Property 2. Any comments? Also important, does anyone know what to expect on the dude's exam, and whether or not it's somewhat predictable the way other LS exams are? I think I've sort of cracked the code of what a professor tells you and how it translates into what he tests, but I'm not sure it'll translate well into his class.
lullers

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Similarly, his exam is reputed for being completely unpredictable (and often required that you come up with new principles/doctrines that you were never taught in class) and hence people study a lot less for his exams than they would for a normal class. I believe participation is still a major part of the grade.
This might literally be the perfect class for me.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Sure would love my grades so I know who to bid on for OGI

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:32 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Considering taking Property 2 with Leslie next semester. I'm not particularly interested in Property 2, but I've heard Leslie's a fun teacher, his filebinder method is interesting, and I won't actually be learning Property 2. Any comments? Also important, does anyone know what to expect on the dude's exam, and whether or not it's somewhat predictable the way other LS exams are? I think I've sort of cracked the code of what a professor tells you and how it translates into what he tests, but I'm not sure it'll translate well into his class.
I would never take a Leslie class.

This past year's 3Ls (some who had him for Property, back when he was allowed to teach 1L classes) have told me that they don't really think they learned anything in property.

Similarly, his exam is reputed for being completely unpredictable (and often required that you come up with new principles/doctrines that you were never taught in class) and hence people study a lot less for his exams than they would for a normal class. I believe participation is still a major part of the grade.
Interesting. Still in the running, but a little concerned by the test. Thanks.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Doritos wrote:Sure would love my grades so I know who to bid on for OGI
I've had all mine for nearly a week. Very weird.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Yeah I saw people postin' their rank in the legal employment forum like a week ago saying they got all their grades. Fortunately for me I'm waiting on the two classes that I think I did the best and the worst in so it's very hard to guess where I'll end up.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Doritos wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
Yeah I saw people postin' their rank in the legal employment forum like a week ago saying they got all their grades. Fortunately for me I'm waiting on the two classes that I think I did the best and the worst in so it's very hard to guess where I'll end up.
I PREDICT A WAVE OF GRADES

OMGz I can see the future.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:02 am

uvahooo wrote:
Doritos wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
I PREDICT A WAVE OF GRADES

OMGz I can see the future.
I have none of my grades, getting real anxious

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:15 pm

So if grades are due by the 15th, and assuming, which is probably a correct assumption, that many are waiting till the 15th... when can we expect them being posted? By Friday?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:32 pm

I'd guess that most people will have theirs by Friday, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some stragglers that come in as late as next Wednesday.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”