UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:Does UVA have a formal alumni/mentor program?
You're using it right now.

Seriously, though, not that I'm aware of.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:38 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:Does UVA have a formal alumni/mentor program?
You're using it right now.

Seriously, though, not that I'm aware of.
Some of the clubs probably have a mentor program. I know APALSA has one pairing upperclassmen with 1Ls. Never heard of one involving alumni, though.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:50 am

Anyone know what job prospects are like for those who want to work in LA big law? Just got off the wait list, and I'm trying to decide whether to make the cross-country move to UVA or to stay in LA for law school.

Thanks.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:52 am

Puttanesca wrote:Anyone know what job prospects are like for those who want to work in LA big law? Just got off the wait list, and I'm trying to decide whether to make the cross-country move to UVA or to stay in LA for law school.

Thanks.

Honestly, I'd probably stay in LA if you're dead set on LA.

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:59 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:Anyone know what job prospects are like for those who want to work in LA big law? Just got off the wait list, and I'm trying to decide whether to make the cross-country move to UVA or to stay in LA for law school.

Thanks.

Honestly, I'd probably stay in LA if you're dead set on LA.
Jokingly, I'd say the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:05 pm

I will let you know after I finish OGI's with top 1/4 grades. At which point, it will be too late for you to decide.

I'm from the west coast, but living in Cville has been incredible. It's not SoCal, but it's a great place to be for 3 years.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks.
What LA school(s) have you been admitted to? I'm not sure I'd do UVA over UCLA if I were certain I wanted LA, but I would definitely go to UVA over the other LA schools.

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Thanks.
What LA school(s) have you been admitted to? I'm not sure I'd do UVA over UCLA if I were certain I wanted LA, but I would definitely go to UVA over the other LA schools.
100 bucks on USC

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Thanks.
I was admitted to both UCLA and USC as well as a TT in LA, but I committed to USC over UCLA b/c of $. So unfortunately, UCLA is no longer an option for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Thanks.
I was admitted to both UCLA and USC as well as a TT in LA, but I committed to USC over UCLA b/c of $. So unfortunately, UCLA is no longer an option for me.
I'm a bigger supporter of following the money than a lot of people are. Eliminating the possibility that you'll graduate with a huge amount of debt is worth the lower chance of big law in a lot of cases. I wouldn't take something like $10k/year at USC over UVA, but as the amounts get higher, USC does become a decent option if your goal is LA.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Cavalier wrote:[
I'm a bigger supporter of following the money than a lot of people are. Eliminating the possibility that you'll graduate with a huge amount of debt is worth the lower chance of big law in a lot of cases. I wouldn't take something like $10k/year at USC over UVA, but as the amounts get higher, USC does become a decent option if your goal is LA.
I was actually offered some $ from UVA. Cost difference will be negligible.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Cavalier wrote:[
I was actually offered some $ from UVA. Cost difference will be negligible.
I think UVA is the better option then.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything new about whether and when Magill is teaching Admin this year? It's not listed on Lawweb yet, and I was planning on scheduling the rest of my courses around that...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:54 pm

omg wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about whether and when Magill is teaching Admin this year? It's not listed on Lawweb yet, and I was planning on scheduling the rest of my courses around that...
I'm interested in this as well. What are people's thoughts on taking (1) PR (2) Bankruptcy (3) Admin (4) Employment Discrimination for their 2L fall? Don't want to overload what with call backs (hopefully) occurring.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Doesn't really matter what you take w/r/t callbacks, except I'd suggest as few credits as you can get away with, and accounting (which will be like a 7 week course meeting 2x per week) can be tricky if you miss a lot of the beginning.

Do keep in mind what a partner told me once during the process: You went to law school to get a job, not to make sure you attended the lecture on tax shields and balance sheets. Keep your priorities straight during OGI.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:Doesn't really matter what you take w/r/t callbacks, except I'd suggest as few credits as you can get away with, and accounting (which will be like a 7 week course meeting 2x per week) can be tricky if you miss a lot of the beginning.

Do keep in mind what a partner told me once during the process: You went to law school to get a job, not to make sure you attended the lecture on tax shields and balance sheets. Keep your priorities straight during OGI.
tl;dr version - don't take accounting.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:10 pm

omg wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about whether and when Magill is teaching Admin this year? It's not listed on Lawweb yet, and I was planning on scheduling the rest of my courses around that...
Maybe they pulled her from it... but she's only listed as teaching two seminars in ethical values. Surely she can't have that light a course load, unless she expects to be on the Fourth Circuit before the end of fall semester.
I'm interested in this as well. What are people's thoughts on taking (1) PR (2) Bankruptcy (3) Admin (4) Employment Discrimination for their 2L fall? Don't want to overload what with call backs (hopefully) occurring.
That sounds like a good schedule. But who are you taking PR with? Cohen's class is significantly tougher, and his curve can screw you (or greatly help you). As far as juggling callbacks goes, the key is not taking classes that require your attendance and/or homework, such as accounting. Seminars can be tough too--often if you miss more than a couple classes, or the first class of the semester, it'll cost you. But taking four lecture-based classes is fine. You should hopefully be done with the callback process by October and that gives you two months, including fall break, to catch up, which is more than enough time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Cav's recs on how to juggle callbacks is correct. One thing I'll add: don't bother trying to get a class schedule that's crammed in the middle of the week in an effort to leave your Mondays and Fridays free for callbacks. It is HARD to schedule callbacks on Mondays and Fridays. And if you get more than a few callbacks you are going to have to skip class - it's inevitable, so embrace it.

The best you can do is take 12 credits of big lecture classes.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Hey all! Sorry to switch the subject. Quick question:

How much money can you expect to get from UVA the next year (coming in with all loans) if you were fortunate enough to be able to make it into the top 30%, or top 20%, or top 10%?

I know I shouldn't bank on it but I'm sort of looking for motivators.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:Hey all! Sorry to switch the subject. Quick question:

How much money can you expect to get from UVA the next year (coming in with all loans) if you were fortunate enough to be able to make it into the top 30%, or top 20%, or top 10%?

Huh?

Your tuition doesn't go down just because you aced eight issue spotters.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:36 pm

We're a T14 school; we don't give successful students money to discourage them from transferring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Cavalier wrote:

We're a T14 school; we don't give successful students money to discourage them from transferring.
This is what I was asking. Good to know. At the same time, they do give out rewards to outstanding students. It's all over their "annual law school awards, fellowships, and honors" page. So now I want to know, what type of money are they talking about? $1000, $2000, $5000, more?

edit: clarification & grammar

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

This is what I was asking. Good to know. At the same time, they do give out rewards to outstanding students. It's all over their "annual law school awards, fellowships, and honors" page. I'm asking, what type of money are they talking about.. $1000, $2000, $5000, more?
If you're number one in the class after 1L you get $600. If you're number one after 2L you get $400. That's it.

SPE

New

Post by SPE » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:46 pm

I was just accepted as a transfer from Northwestern - I'm psyched. Can anyone give me some pointers about where 2Ls live, whether it's difficult to meet classmates, or anything else they could be helpful when joining the Virginia Law community? Thanks!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 pm

SPE wrote:I was just accepted as a transfer from Northwestern - I'm psyched. Can anyone give me some pointers about where 2Ls live, whether it's difficult to meet classmates, or anything else they could be helpful when joining the Virginia Law community? Thanks!

Congrats. Why are you transfering from NW to UVA?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”