Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLSNYC

Silver

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by TLSNYC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:57 am

My only real gripe about 2400 is that they only have 1 year leases and do not allow subletting, or at least that's what the leasing office told me. Since I have no intention of being in Philadelphia for the summer following 1L, it is something of a pain to know that I'll be on the hook for an apartment that I don't want/use.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:30 am

johnnyutah wrote:You guys should also keep in mind that you can find a studio in West Philly within half an hour walking distance of the law school for between $500 and $700 per month.
This is very true, I know a guy who lived in West Philly and paid less than $500/month in living expenses (at least during 1L... and he was sharing a place with other grad students and just had the bedroom to himself).

I took the admittedly elitist way out in wanting a doorman/highrise. If you put in some legwork there are great (cheaper) brownstones (though we looked at some and it was just never "right"), I suppose I'm just a bit of a snob :) haha

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 am

TLSNYC wrote:My only real gripe about 2400 is that they only have 1 year leases and do not allow subletting, or at least that's what the leasing office told me. Since I have no intention of being in Philadelphia for the summer following 1L, it is something of a pain to know that I'll be on the hook for an apartment that I don't want/use.
Consider asking for their lease to see what the notice period is for moving out. I signed a two year lease at my last place and then another 1 year lease but moved out way early by giving notice. There was no penalty in that case. Maybe you can do something similar at 2400?

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 am

Been looking at places within reasonable walking distance of the school. I would really prefer a 1 bedroom (the thought of cooking in the same room I sleep in grosses me out for some reason).

Any chance I can get this for ~$1000? I've seen a few places, but not sure if they are shitty or what?

Thanks again for all the help.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 am

Upton Sinclair wrote:Been looking at places within reasonable walking distance of the school. I would really prefer a 1 bedroom (the thought of cooking in the same room I sleep in grosses me out for some reason).

Any chance I can get this for ~$1000? I've seen a few places, but not sure if they are shitty or what?

I know a few people in walk ups paying $950ish + Utilities in center city and their apartments are pretty nice. In those cases its really about scouring craigslist and going to look at them to make sure they aren't super crappy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 am

Know anything about 257, Westbury, or Westminster Arch?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm only going to have one day in Philly to make a decision. Trying to narrow my options so I have time to visit everywhere I need to.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 am

Upton Sinclair wrote:Know anything about 257, Westbury, or Westminster Arch?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm only going to have one day in Philly to make a decision. Trying to narrow my options so I have time to visit everywhere I need to.
I live right near 257 which looks like a nice place (though the cheapest apt is >1200 and doesn't include all utilities). The Westbury is also apparently near me but I've never noticed it. Westminster Arch I looked into as an incoming 1L but never went to visit it because I didn't get good vibes from the guy over email (I know, stupid reason, but as a girl living alone that made a big difference). And you can easily see 5+ places in a day, most brownstones take about 30 min (tops) to see while high rises are a little longer (maybe an hour) because they like to show you amenities and a few different apartments.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:Been looking at places within reasonable walking distance of the school. I would really prefer a 1 bedroom (the thought of cooking in the same room I sleep in grosses me out for some reason).

Chestnut Hall, Hamilton Court.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Veyron wrote:
Hey, I really want to you know who you are. I would actually promise to keep it a secret.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Hey, I really want to you know who you are. I would actually promise to keep it a secret.
Well, I could give you a name but it wouldn't mean much. Shoot me a PM and we can grab a quick cup of coffee/pint of beer sometime.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

jesus, are you guys rich? $1000/month is like New York style prices. I live in an awesome row house just south of center city with roommates but my own room for 550/month. The location is amazing, I'm actually considering living here again. I cannot reiterate enough that it is SO WORTH IT to try and find a rowhouse/brownstone. All that doorman stuff is really not necessary in Philly. My bf lives on 44th & walnut (about ten blocks from law school) with two law school roommates and his own room for 500 a month, and it's safe because the Penn police actually patrol all the way down there all night. I'm always biking back and forth between here and there.

Row house FTW!!!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:01 pm

mcweanis wrote:jesus, are you guys rich? $1000/month is like New York style prices. I live in an awesome row house just south of center city with roommates but my own room for 550/month. The location is amazing, I'm actually considering living here again. I cannot reiterate enough that it is SO WORTH IT to try and find a rowhouse/brownstone. All that doorman stuff is really not necessary in Philly. My bf lives on 44th & walnut (about ten blocks from law school) with two law school roommates and his own room for 500 a month, and it's safe because the Penn police actually patrol all the way down there all night. I'm always biking back and forth between here and there.

Row house FTW!!!
Not rich, just anti roommate (other than my SO who I live with now, of course :) )

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

mcweanis wrote:jesus, are you guys rich? $1000/month is like New York style prices!
$1000 won't get you a cardboard box in NYC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tarheel10

New

Post by Tarheel10 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:31 pm

mcweanis wrote:jesus, are you guys rich? $1000/month is like New York style prices. I live in an awesome row house just south of center city with roommates but my own room for 550/month. The location is amazing, I'm actually considering living here again. I cannot reiterate enough that it is SO WORTH IT to try and find a rowhouse/brownstone. All that doorman stuff is really not necessary in Philly. My bf lives on 44th & walnut (about ten blocks from law school) with two law school roommates and his own room for 500 a month, and it's safe because the Penn police actually patrol all the way down there all night. I'm always biking back and forth between here and there.

Row house FTW!!!
Any advice on how to find one? If I go to Penn, that's definitely how I want to live.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
mcweanis wrote:jesus, are you guys rich? $1000/month is like New York style prices!
$1000 won't get you a cardboard box in NYC.
it will get you columbia student housing, though.

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 pm

can any current Penn students speak to summer jobs after 1L? the woman at ASW said that no 1L's were lined up to work at firms this summer - do all students pursue government/PI work, and are these positions usually funded (either by the employer or by Penn)? thanks!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:48 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:can any current Penn students speak to summer jobs after 1L? the woman at ASW said that no 1L's were lined up to work at firms this summer - do all students pursue government/PI work, and are these positions usually funded (either by the employer or by Penn)? thanks!
Who the fuck did you talk to? Several kids in my section have 1L firm jobs/offers and many got callbacks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Veyron wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:can any current Penn students speak to summer jobs after 1L? the woman at ASW said that no 1L's were lined up to work at firms this summer - do all students pursue government/PI work, and are these positions usually funded (either by the employer or by Penn)? thanks!
Who the fuck did you talk to? Several kids in my section have 1L firm jobs/offers and many got callbacks.
Yeah at ASW I also talked to more than a few 1Ls that are gonna be working at firms this summer.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 am

Anyway, if you don't go the firm route 1st summer. . .

PI organizations sometimes pay.

Judicial interships never do.

Government almost never does.

All, however, tend to be elligable for either FWS or a EJF grant. So, assuming your ballance sheet doesn't say you are loaded and you aren't gettingpaid (or getting paid only a small amount) you can expect (almost) always to get 4k or so.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 am

Veyron wrote:Anyway, if you don't go the firm route 1st summer. . .

All, however, tend to be elligable for either FWS or a EJF grant. So, assuming your ballance sheet doesn't say you are loaded and you aren't gettingpaid (or getting paid only a small amount) you can expect (almost) always to get 4k or so.
Professors also pay!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 am

Georgiana wrote:

Professors also pay!
^ Yah, but then you have to, you know, work for a professor.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 am

Veyron wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Professors also pay!
^ Yah, but then you have to, you know, work for a professor.
Most lax job everrrrrrrrrr. Keep your own hours, work from wherever you want, and (if you're so inclined) a built in rec. for clerkships.

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 am

Veyron wrote:
Yeah, definitely good to know I'm misinformed. I don't remeber her name but I spoke to someone from the career planning center and my takeaway was that I shouldn't expect at all to be working at a firm after the first year. Not that I'm set on a firm job for 1L summer, but having options is definitely a plus...

Thanks so much for clearing that up!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 am

supahstahxruv wrote: Yeah, definitely good to know I'm misinformed. I don't remeber her name but I spoke to someone from the career planning center and my takeaway was that I shouldn't expect at all to be working at a firm after the first year. Not that I'm set on a firm job for 1L summer, but having options is definitely a plus...

I think they try not to get your expectation up because firm summer programs for 1Ls are not a sure thing like 2L programs. But they also told me that a handful of firms actually participate in OCI for 1Ls. It's hard but it isn't possible.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 am

r6_philly wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote: Yeah, definitely good to know I'm misinformed. I don't remeber her name but I spoke to someone from the career planning center and my takeaway was that I shouldn't expect at all to be working at a firm after the first year. Not that I'm set on a firm job for 1L summer, but having options is definitely a plus...

I think they try not to get your expectation up because firm summer programs for 1Ls are not a sure thing like 2L programs. But they also told me that a handful of firms actually participate in OCI for 1Ls. It's hard but it isn't possible.
This. Definitely don't expect a firm job, try for one if you want it (and I mean really try, its not just send your resume and hope, you need to be contacting people and asking for informational interviews and calling to let them know you're in the area in case they might take a chance on an interview and looking for ways to apply to "diversity" programs), but you should also be looking into judicial internships, PI organizations, government work, and research jobs with profs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”