Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Estoy más o menos seguro que I haven't spoken English in...a while

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 pm

Penn16 wrote:Getting away from the OCI talk for a sec, which prof(s) would y'all recommend for Corporations? The choices for the fall are Wachter, Bratton, and Fisch.

Edit: Woops, this might've been more appropriate in the forum just for law students, but oh well. Hope it's not a problem being here instead.
I wasn't too keen on Fisch. I've heard good things about Bratton though.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:28 am

OutCold wrote:
Penn16 wrote:Getting away from the OCI talk for a sec, which prof(s) would y'all recommend for Corporations? The choices for the fall are Wachter, Bratton, and Fisch.

Edit: Woops, this might've been more appropriate in the forum just for law students, but oh well. Hope it's not a problem being here instead.
I wasn't too keen on Fisch. I've heard good things about Bratton though.
I'd take a class with him just to hear his sardonic sass on a daily basis.

New

Post by 1948 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am

looking to get a second laptop for school (first one works fine but has 10 minute battery life, fans are too loud, etc.). ITS website says you need 2.0 GHz CPU. not sure if anyone would know this, but, is 2.0 absolutely necessary? i'm seeing a lot of well-priced and well-reviewed notebooks with 1.86-1.9 GHz (some with a boost of 2.0+) and was wondering if the SofTest program would run on those or not. basically, does anyone have experience using a laptop with less than 2.0 GHz (and if you don't know its exact processing power, if it's a smaller notebook it probably is <2.0) for exams? thanks guys

Penn16

New

Post by Penn16 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:00 pm

1948 wrote:looking to get a second laptop for school (first one works fine but has 10 minute battery life, fans are too loud, etc.). ITS website says you need 2.0 GHz CPU. not sure if anyone would know this, but, is 2.0 absolutely necessary? i'm seeing a lot of well-priced and well-reviewed notebooks with 1.86-1.9 GHz (some with a boost of 2.0+) and was wondering if the SofTest program would run on those or not. basically, does anyone have experience using a laptop with less than 2.0 GHz (and if you don't know its exact processing power, if it's a smaller notebook it probably is <2.0) for exams? thanks guys
I got a brand new Windows 8 Pro notebook that's 1.8 GHz with a boost up to 2.6 and I didn't have any problems with SofTest either semester last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 am

Question:
40th and one short block above market st, too sketchy for you?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 am

Clearly wrote:Question:
Totally fine if you're comfortable with cities. Probably should check it out for yourself in person if possible before signing a lease.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 am

Nelson wrote:
Clearly wrote:Question:
Totally fine if you're comfortable with cities. Probably should check it out for yourself in person if possible before signing a lease.
I wouldn't, if only because there's lots of stuff that's available

coast2coast23

New

Post by coast2coast23 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 am

Same questions about the difference between Fisch, Bratton, and Wachter? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:42 pm

coast2coast23 wrote:Same questions about the difference between Fisch, Bratton, and Wachter? :D
I think this is a style preference thing. Fisch is organized, but dull and her exam is an ass kicker. Bratton is entertaining, but a bit of a hot mess. Wachter is sort of in between.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:46 pm

Nelson wrote:
coast2coast23 wrote:Same questions about the difference between Fisch, Bratton, and Wachter? :D
I think this is a style preference thing. Fisch is organized, but dull and her exam is an ass kicker. Bratton is entertaining, but a bit of a hot mess. Wachter is sort of in between.
Who's the easiest A?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:53 pm

ymmv wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Who's the easiest A?
They're all on the curve. I don't think there's noticeable variation, but you could always check the distributions in the registrars office.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:54 pm

ymmv wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Who's the easiest A?
Depends on your study style

I prefer organized classes because the outlines are better and I don't pay attention to class anyways

However if you tend to care the slightest bit about class you shouldn't take Fisch

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:15 pm

So Wachter?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 am

This sums up my experience with Fisch: Class 3 times a week, all sorts of "important" corporations topics, one day of guest speaker who talked about some UK system of giving more control to shareholders--reading assignment was a 35 page law review article about the same topic written by the speaker that no one bothered to read. Fast forward to the evening before the exam. Desperately trying to learn the material, take one look at that article, say fuck it because why would this UK crap that no one paid attention to be on the exam, print a copy of the article and move on. Next morning, 25% of the exam is on this guest lecture and his UK system of whatever. Skimmed the article that I had printed, made some shit up, and nailed it like a boss. But the point is, don't take Fisch.

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:04 pm

How are seminars graded? And is there anyway to access grade distributions for classes prior to actually registering for class? Also thoughts on Coglianese for Admin?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 pm

NoChainz wrote:How are seminars graded? And is there anyway to access grade distributions for classes prior to actually registering for class?
Totally depends on the prof and the seminar. There are grade distributions in hard copy in the registrars office but that doesn't do you a lot of good right now if you're off campus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

New

Post by 1948 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Penn16 wrote:
1948 wrote:looking to get a second laptop for school (first one works fine but has 10 minute battery life, fans are too loud, etc.). ITS website says you need 2.0 GHz CPU. not sure if anyone would know this, but, is 2.0 absolutely necessary? i'm seeing a lot of well-priced and well-reviewed notebooks with 1.86-1.9 GHz (some with a boost of 2.0+) and was wondering if the SofTest program would run on those or not. basically, does anyone have experience using a laptop with less than 2.0 GHz (and if you don't know its exact processing power, if it's a smaller notebook it probably is <2.0) for exams? thanks guys
I got a brand new Windows 8 Pro notebook that's 1.8 GHz with a boost up to 2.6 and I didn't have any problems with SofTest either semester last year.
thanks for the reply. for you or anyone else, is there a consensus on laptop/screen size or is it totally based on preference? would something like 11.6" be too small?

Penn16

New

Post by Penn16 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:07 am

1948 wrote:
Penn16 wrote:
thanks for the reply. for you or anyone else, is there a consensus on laptop/screen size or is it totally based on preference? would something like 11.6" be too small?
Mostly based on preference. I think the biggest concern with going for the 11.6" screens is that they start shrinking the keyboard, which might affect your typing speed, and the smaller screen might make it harder to read documents/write papers. I think most people stick with the 13.3"-16" laptops, but again, it's mostly personal preference, especially if you don't think a smaller keyboard would affect your typing speed and the smaller screen wouldn't bother you for reading.

POTUS2044

New

Post by POTUS2044 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 pm

So regional interviews came out today. I'm sure I knew this at some point, but were these randomly assigned based on our rankings like OCI? Or were we selected by the employers based on our resume and transcript?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 pm

POTUS2044 wrote:So regional interviews came out today. I'm sure I knew this at some point, but were these randomly assigned based on our rankings like OCI? Or were we selected by the employers based on our resume and transcript?
lottery

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

POTUS2044

New

Post by POTUS2044 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:58 pm

PennBull wrote:
POTUS2044 wrote:So regional interviews came out today. I'm sure I knew this at some point, but were these randomly assigned based on our rankings like OCI? Or were we selected by the employers based on our resume and transcript?
lottery
Thanks. Are they a standard screener format? I thought I remembered hearing that they were longer but then on the schedule it looks like they are only scheduled for 20 minutes is that right?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 am

POTUS2044 wrote:
PennBull wrote:
lottery
Thanks. Are they a standard screener format? I thought I remembered hearing that they were longer but then on the schedule it looks like they are only scheduled for 20 minutes is that right?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:59 am

Fisch is the most work. Her classes are demanding, almost always go 5 minutes over, and it's pretty intense because she moves quickly (and since she never posts her slides it's often a type-a-thon, though most everything in the slides will be in the old outlines). Super clear though. So you'll definitely learn a lot. Possibly the easiest because so many LLMs take the class, and I think JDs and LLMs are on the same curve in that class. Downsides are that she can seem brusque. Also, Friday classes.

Wachter is a character. He can be pretty funny, but he's kinda scatterbrained. Class is less work because he moves at a slower pace. FWIW he's pretty tight with the Chancery Court judges, so if have the grades and hang out with him enough to get his recommendation you have a pretty good shot at a Chancery clerkship.

Never had Bratton. Seemed like an awesome guy though.

Overall, I'd probably recommend Fisch, but there's not really a wrong or right answer.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am

WhirledWorld wrote:
Fisch is the most work. Her classes are demanding, almost always go 5 minutes over, and it's pretty intense because she moves quickly (and since she never posts her slides it's often a type-a-thon, though most everything in the slides will be in the old outlines). Super clear though. So you'll definitely learn a lot. Possibly the easiest because so many LLMs take the class, and I think JDs and LLMs are on the same curve in that class. Downsides are that she can seem brusque. Also, Friday classes.

Wachter is a character. He can be pretty funny, but he's kinda scatterbrained. Class is less work because he moves at a slower pace. FWIW he's pretty tight with the Chancery Court judges, so if have the grades and hang out with him enough to get his recommendation you have a pretty good shot at a Chancery clerkship.

Never had Bratton. Seemed like an awesome guy though.

Overall, I'd probably recommend Fisch, but there's not really a wrong or right answer.
There are tons of LLMs in all of the corps sections usually and it def makes for a softer curve.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”