Attention: Fordham Law Students

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bankhead

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm

We get grades back in NOVEMBER?

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:43 pm

That was the boldest statement I've ever seen OS make....

(i am using my comment as a means of tagging this thread)

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 11, 2009 3:43 pm

hoffb86 wrote:That was the boldest statement I've ever seen OS make....

+1 haha.

d-bag

Postby d-bag » Mon May 11, 2009 3:45 pm

nitsudrx wrote:We get grades back in NOVEMBER?

You get a grade back on an assignment you submit for your Legal Writing class. That will be your first grade in law school.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Mon May 11, 2009 3:57 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Dear Touche,

Thank you for visiting with us. Why we've never met you sooner I cannot imagine, as TLS is a wonderful and very welcoming community. I have not met a single Fordham student, alum, applicant or 0L whom I would not want for a classmate. If your statements about the student body are true, I must just have had amazing luck, right? How did I do that?

You state that the economy is terrible, and Fordham has been unable to magically remedy this. You further state that Fordham is not a T14. I am shocked by this information, which is utterly new to me. Shocked!

You have provided some useful information about the school's clinics, and for that, I thank you.Clearly you don't hate Fordham enough to transfer or drop out, so that is something. I'm not sure what you would like the school to do to remedy the situations you described, since it does not seem that Fordham created any of them.

As for the income limit on the LRAP, every school has one, although they vary. Some are as low as ~$40,000. Fordham's limit is generous, especially for a non T14.

I think all of us were aware that OCI will take a hit this year. However, this situation was not caused by Fordham, nor is it unique to the school.

Yours Sincerely,

OperaSoprano,
Fordham 0L and future PI student

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon May 11, 2009 4:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Dear Touche,

Thank you for visiting with us. Why we've never met you sooner I cannot imagine, as TLS is a wonderful and very welcoming community. I have not met a single Fordham student, alum, applicant or 0L whom I would not want for a classmate. If your statements about the student body are true, I must just have had amazing luck, right? How did I do that?

You state that the economy is terrible, and Fordham has been unable to magically remedy this. You further state that Fordham is not a T14. I am shocked by this information, which is utterly new to me. Shocked!

You have provided some useful information about the school's clinics, and for that, I thank you.Clearly you don't hate Fordham enough to transfer or drop out, so that is something. I'm not sure what you would like the school to do to remedy the situations you described, since it does not seem that Fordham created any of them.

As for the income limit on the LRAP, every school has one, although they vary. Some are as low as ~$40,000. Fordham's limit is generous, especially for a non T14.

I think all of us were aware that OCI will take a hit this year. However, this situation was not caused by Fordham, nor is it unique to the school.

Yours Sincerely,

OperaSoprano,
Fordham 0L and future PI student

Don't shoot the messenger.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon May 11, 2009 4:00 pm

d-bag wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Dear Fordham Student,

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the market's problems were created by Fordham, or how you expect the school to instantly solve them.

-says the very proud Fordham 0L and future PI student

Dear OperaSoprano,

Nowhere did I say that I hate Fordham and nowhere did I say that the market's problems were created by Fordham. I am pointing out the reality of the situation, which you, as an extremely strange 0L apparently do not see given that all your information apparently was culled from the website. The OP asked for feedback, which I provided in a very realistic manner without any sugarcoating that you, as a 0L, were probably exposed to. You will likely not see the reality until around November, which is when you will get your first law school grade and wonder if you were cut out for it after all. :)

With all that out of the way, since you're a 0L interested in PI work, I'll make suggestions that you will find of use: apply to Stein Scholars as soon as applications become available before you arrive at the school. Applying as a second semester student is more competitive. Moreover, get involved with FSSF and some of the more useful PIRC organizations. Try to work EXTREMELY hard on your Legal Writing short memo, as you will be submitting the memo to two journals that will take 1Ls (most people fail to realize this): Corporate Law Journal and Environmental Law Journal. Also note that Dispute Resolution Society, which you mentioned prior, takes 1Ls, so take the opportunity to get involved with that.

D-bag,

I apologize if I misconstrued the tone of your original comment. Yes, for good or for ill, I am a very strange 0L. If you peeked in my profile, you have no doubt seen my unusual academic background. Despite my lack of pedigree, I believe I am as ready as any for the rigors of 1L. Since the Dean of Enrollment shares my assessment, I'm going to run with it.

On to my research. I did list the clinics from the school's website, but I have had quite a bit of contact with former and current students, and every one of them told me I would be a good fit for Fordham, and that the school would put my passion to good use. I am still a 0L, but I hope they are right!

Thank you for your detailed recommendations, specifically those about the journals open to 1Ls. I had no idea 1Ls could serve on journals. I'm going to give it my very best attempt.

If there are other aspects of the school that you find noteworthy, I hope you will share them. It seems that your complaints were directed primarily against the economy and specific students, not against the programs or actions of Fordham itself.

Before I was admitted, I pledged that I would do all I could to be an asset to the school. Since you acknowledge that Fordham is imperfect, I hope you will point me in the right direction. I am thrilled about my admission, and I hope I will prove worthy of the honor.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 pm

deleted
Last edited by Dtackpat75 on Mon May 11, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Before I was admitted, I pledged that I would do all I could to be an asset to the school. Since you acknowledge that Fordham is imperfect, I hope you will point me in the right direction. I am thrilled about my admission, and I hope I will prove worthy of the honor.

You don't actually talk like that do you?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 11, 2009 4:07 pm

awesomepossum wrote:

Hahaha. Cracking up at work is bad.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Mon May 11, 2009 4:10 pm

awesomepossum wrote:

she sure does in every single post

d-bag

Postby d-bag » Mon May 11, 2009 4:13 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:I just wanted to point out that we are halfway through the second year of this recession since it began in December 2007 and it is actually completely false that recessions typically last 2-3 years. At least U.S. recessions don't typically last 2-3 years this is currently the longest recession since the Great Depression. It seems to make more sense to wait for the job market to turn around while in law school than it does to wait for the job market to turn around in the unemployment line (sarcasm). Maybe we should wait 2-3 years for the job market to turn around so we can graduate just in time for the next recession of some sort. Seeing that typically recessions last less than a year and your typical period of increasing economic prosperity "boom" lasts less than 5-7.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/01/news/ec ... /index.htm

It's true that recession itself does not last for 2-3 years, but the employment rates trail the recessions. We're seeing some letting up in unemployment at this stage, as the employers are cutting at a lower rate, but we still have a tremendously high rate of unemployment . The issue of waiting for turnaround in law school arises from the fact that you're interviewing for your job literally a year after you start law school: OCI for 1Ls is where you'll get your 2L SA position, where you will get an offer to work after you graduate. There is such a thing as 3L OCI, but that's usually very weak compared to 2L OCI. Basically, you want the job market to begin turning around A YEAR after you enter law school; for current 0Ls, that means that the economy needs to be hunky dory in August 2010. While the economic recession itself may be over by then, even the Treasury chief himself said that recovery will take a couple of years.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon May 11, 2009 4:19 pm

awesomepossum wrote:

I might. You could ask one of the handful of TLSers who have met me, or you could come to the TLS NYC bar night and see for yourself.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

I might. You could ask one of the handful of TLSers who have met me, or you could come to the TLS NYC bar night and see for yourself.

wow.... so enticing

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 pm

d-bag wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:I just wanted to point out that we are halfway through the second year of this recession since it began in December 2007 and it is actually completely false that recessions typically last 2-3 years. At least U.S. recessions don't typically last 2-3 years this is currently the longest recession since the Great Depression. It seems to make more sense to wait for the job market to turn around while in law school than it does to wait for the job market to turn around in the unemployment line (sarcasm). Maybe we should wait 2-3 years for the job market to turn around so we can graduate just in time for the next recession of some sort. Seeing that typically recessions last less than a year and your typical period of increasing economic prosperity "boom" lasts less than 5-7.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/01/news/ec ... /index.htm

It's true that recession itself does not last for 2-3 years, but the employment rates trail the recessions. We're seeing some letting up in unemployment at this stage, as the employers are cutting at a lower rate, but we still have a tremendously high rate of unemployment . The issue of waiting for turnaround in law school arises from the fact that you're interviewing for your job literally a year after you start law school: OCI for 1Ls is where you'll get your 2L SA position, where you will get an offer to work after you graduate. There is such a thing as 3L OCI, but that's usually very weak compared to 2L OCI. Basically, you want the job market to begin turning around A YEAR after you enter law school; for current 0Ls, that means that the economy needs to be hunky dory in August 2010. While the economic recession itself may be over by then, even the Treasury chief himself said that recovery will take a couple of years.

True. On the other hand, though, employers are looking to hire 2 years down the line (from OCI), so our year might be the first year that things start to pick up again.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon May 11, 2009 4:32 pm

neskerdoo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

wow.... so enticing

This is much better. I wondered when I'd get a real nesker insult. Now I have to save this thread!

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Mon May 11, 2009 4:33 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:You don't actually talk like that do you?

wow.... so enticing

This is much better. I wondered when I'd get a real nesker insult. Now I have to save this thread!

how about you just keep posting and see what else happens

uphill

Postby uphill » Mon May 11, 2009 4:36 pm

When is the bar night?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 11, 2009 4:38 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

is this a new development? I haven't heard of it. I will be miffed, until i feel i've been properly informed.

Also, OS, are you still going to retake in June, for kicks?

Sick, that is.

gavinxdorian

Postby gavinxdorian » Mon May 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Yes. Please provide info on this NYC TLS Bar night...

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:54 pm

gavinxdorian wrote:Yes. Please provide info on this NYC TLS Bar night...

This thread - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71527

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon May 11, 2009 4:56 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

is this a new development? I haven't heard of it. I will be miffed, until i feel i've been properly informed.

Also, OS, are you still going to retake in June, for kicks?

Sick, that is.

No, I was never going to retake for kicks. My mom had wanted me to go through with my retake, but she will have to master her disappointment. I am happy with the way my cycle turned out, and will come to bar night, if I am free.

I am also thrilled that Nesker has finally found me worthy of his famous wit.

What of your retake? How are things with GULC? Still your first choice?

I appreciate the good advice given to me by d-bag, though I hope his pessimism is misplaced.

Rachyk

Postby Rachyk » Mon May 11, 2009 5:13 pm

So this question is kind of out of the blue, but does anyone know how many people Fordham generally takes off the waitlist?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 11, 2009 5:20 pm

No, I was never going to retake for kicks. My mom had wanted me to go through with my retake, but she will have to master her disappointment. I am happy with the way my cycle turned out, and will come to bar night, if I am free.

I am also thrilled that Nesker has finally found me worthy of his famous wit.

What of your retake? How are things with GULC? Still your first choice?

I appreciate the good advice given to me by d-bag, though I hope his pessimism is misplaced.

Still and always. I am prepping hard, drilling games. i think i'll be going up in june, further complicating my life. it's all going to come down to the games section really. i'm ok with that, though, more pressure the better. Hopefully I'll catch you at the meet-up and-depending on when it is--I'll have good news.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Rachyk wrote:So this question is kind of out of the blue, but does anyone know how many people Fordham generally takes off the waitlist?

A lot more, now that touche/d-bag went on that rant. :lol:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”