Attention: Fordham Law Students

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Brooklyn13
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby Brooklyn13 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:45 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by Brooklyn13 on Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri May 08, 2009 3:34 pm

::waits for operasop to post::

User avatar
frotteur
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby frotteur » Fri May 08, 2009 3:36 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:::waits for operasop to post::


Is it like the Candyman? Say Fordham three times and she appears?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby awesomepossum » Fri May 08, 2009 3:43 pm

yup

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri May 08, 2009 3:44 pm

frotteur wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:::waits for operasop to post::


Is it like the Candyman? Say Fordham three times and she appears?


It's more like say Fordh... and she appears.

Although she has jumped the gun early and mistakenly walked into threads about the current state of the automotive industry.

Brooklyn13
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby Brooklyn13 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:39 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by Brooklyn13 on Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canceled02062010
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby canceled02062010 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:44 pm

I went to drop off my seat deposit today. It was alright. A lot of construction. I went to NYU undergrad and like that area more. I live in the LES now, but plan on moving to the UES or UWS for better rent, (thank you recession).

What I mean by saying that is I lived near NYU, I liked the area. Ill never live near Lincoln Center. No shot.
Last edited by canceled02062010 on Fri May 08, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby pany1985 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri May 08, 2009 7:04 pm

Gone for one day, and a thread like this pops up! If anyone would like to know how future Fordham students feel about our beloved school, I have two things to share with you:

OS Speaks of Fordham (crosspost, with update)

Fordham is the third (or fourth, if you count Cornell) best school in the biggest legal market in the country, and yet it has an edge over many higher ranked schools. 87.9% of students have jobs lined up by graduation, and 98.5% are employed within 9 months. With over 87% reporting salary data, last year's average salary in private practice was over $146,000. The median was $160,000. This year's 25th to 75th percentile private practice salary range is $152,700 to $160,000. The top half of the class has an excellent shot at biglaw, and around 40% select this option, depending on the year. You will not find very many schools with numbers like this outside the T14.

What about Public Interest? Fordham has a top ten dispute resolution program that I will be participating in, if admitted. The school has a social justice clinic, and an international human rights clinic. Fordham has an immigrants' rights clinic. You can study international sustainable development. The school's LRAP is quite generous, and combined with the new CCRA and Income Based Repayment, will make the debt load manageable.

Fordham has an a cappella group, the Tortfeasors. I hear they are very good. They performed at the last admitted students' day, which I had to miss, since I was not admitted.

Now that judgment day has come, the angel's trumpet has sounded, and I will be ascending to Fordham in a chariot of gold. That, or I'll be taking the NRQW to the 1, and walking three blocks. Either way, I am going to my Great Reward.

See also the infamous Fordham Poll Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69655

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby awesomepossum » Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 pm

pany1985 wrote:I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.



yup

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
pany1985 wrote:I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.



yup


It did, and it was beautiful. I went for a walk in there on Monday, and got lost in some subterranean passages. I did eventually find the bookstore, where I proceeded to buy my mom the best mother's day present ever: a Fordham Mom sweatshirt. I'll box it up and send it with roses!

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby aer » Fri May 08, 2009 7:28 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
pany1985 wrote:I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.



yup


It did, and it was beautiful. I went for a walk in there on Monday, and got lost in some subterranean passages. I did eventually find the bookstore, where I proceeded to buy my mom the best mother's day present ever: a Fordham Mom sweatshirt. I'll box it up and send it with roses!


Doesn't your mom read these forums?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri May 08, 2009 7:30 pm

aer wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
pany1985 wrote:I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.



yup


It did, and it was beautiful. I went for a walk in there on Monday, and got lost in some subterranean passages. I did eventually find the bookstore, where I proceeded to buy my mom the best mother's day present ever: a Fordham Mom sweatshirt. I'll box it up and send it with roses!


Doesn't your mom read these forums?


She does, but she knows anyway. I had to call to make sure of the size she wanted. :D

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Brooklyn13, if you need more Fordham information, PM me. I'm overflowing with it!

My bf is back in New York. Off to celebrate at long last... I have yet to raise a glass of champagne.

<3

ascremer
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:25 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby ascremer » Fri May 08, 2009 11:24 pm

hopewell wrote:I went to drop off my seat deposit today. It was alright. A lot of construction. I went to NYU undergrad and like that area more. I live in the LES now, but plan on moving to the UES or UWS for better rent, (thank you recession).

What I mean by saying that is I lived near NYU, I liked the area. Ill never live near Lincoln Center. No shot.


I went to Fordham today too, just to visit and not to pay any deposit or so.. and I'm NYU undergrad too
I lived in the Financial District and around Union Square and I am looking either to live in Financial District again or Midtown West. I checked several buildings yesterday and they were reasonably priced, so i think the recession is working for us on this issue.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby Bankhead » Fri May 08, 2009 11:33 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
pany1985 wrote:I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.



yup


Uhh... Tho what?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby awesomepossum » Fri May 08, 2009 11:52 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
pany1985 wrote:I'm not gonna go there, but I visited and from a purely superficial standpoint it pretty much looked like a 40-year-old high school.



yup


Uhh... Tho what?



Boom got them tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTYjO7gOnk

Brooklyn13
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby Brooklyn13 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 am

[Deleted]
Last edited by Brooklyn13 on Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

touche
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby touche » Mon May 11, 2009 12:38 pm

FLS student speaks of Fordham in a less sunshine & happy manner. :)

OperaSoprano wrote:Gone for one day, and a thread like this pops up! If anyone would like to know how future Fordham students feel about our beloved school, I have two things to share with you:

OS Speaks of Fordham (crosspost, with update)

Fordham is the third (or fourth, if you count Cornell) best school in the biggest legal market in the country, and yet it has an edge over many higher ranked schools. 87.9% of students have jobs lined up by graduation, and 98.5% are employed within 9 months. With over 87% reporting salary data, last year's average salary in private practice was over $146,000. The median was $160,000. This year's 25th to 75th percentile private practice salary range is $152,700 to $160,000. The top half of the class has an excellent shot at biglaw, and around 40% select this option, depending on the year. You will not find very many schools with numbers like this outside the T14.


"Depending on the year" is crucial here. In this economy, Fordham students are struggling where the New York market has been devastated by the collapse of the financial industry. While around the same time last year, 2L OCI had about 200 employers lined up to participate, this year we have less than half of that amount. Quoting an anonymous Fordham staffer, OCI will be "slim pickings" this year.

What about Public Interest? Fordham has a top ten dispute resolution program that I will be participating in, if admitted. The school has a social justice clinic, and an international human rights clinic. Fordham has an immigrants' rights clinic. You can study international sustainable development. The school's LRAP is quite generous, and combined with the new CCRA and Income Based Repayment, will make the debt load manageable.


PIRC is my favorite place at Fordham as the people there are genuinely nice and thoughtful as compared to the majority of the student body that only has BIGLAW on their minds (where most of them won't get BIGLAW). Dispute Resolution Society, which you mentioned, is quite competitive but they genuinely do well. There is no immigrants' clinic, but the Social Justice Clinic and International Human Rights Clinics do exist. Leitner is more competitive than Feerick, but they're BOTH very competitive and most students will not step foot in their offices. Fordham's LRAP, which you quote as generous, is anything but--to qualify, you need to be making less than ~$60k a year, which puts you out of the LRAP running for most federal positions. It is decent, however, if you end up working for city government or non-profits.

Fordham has an a cappella group, the Tortfeasors. I hear they are very good. They performed at the last admitted students' day, which I had to miss, since I was not admitted.


They're alright.

Now, for more thoughts. In general, Fordham is a fantastic school. Professors are great, the staff is very helpful and there are plenty of opportunities available to get involved. The building is very mediocre, but a new one will be completed in 2025, so if you're willing to defer until then, you might get to partake in this new building. I would be hesitant to recommend that anyone goes to Fordham in this economy, particularly if they are determined on working in corporate law. With a huge number of unemployed lawyers and deferred law students clogging up the pipes, so to speak, the schools outside the more prominent ones such as NYU and Columbia will be the hardest hit. Whereas normally top 3rd-quarter at Fordham would qualify for BIGLAW, chances are that this number will be closer to top 15% at this stage. Given the student body, highly competitive and highly miserable, getting top 15% will require a lot more work. My suggestion? Take year off, do Peace Corps, retake LSAT and go to NYU. HTH.

User avatar
silenziatori
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby silenziatori » Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Regarding Fordham's LRAP: I spoke with the person in charge of the LRAP program, and she informed me that they are looking into extending the LRAP to those with government jobs. Their ability to do so may be possible because of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. Otherwise, the LRAP is too expensive for Fordham to afford making it available to those with government jobs.

I wonder if they will make additional changes to the LRAP program in general, like removing the cap on maximum income?

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 11, 2009 1:06 pm

touche wrote:FLS student speaks of Fordham in a less sunshine & happy manner. :)

OperaSoprano wrote:Gone for one day, and a thread like this pops up! If anyone would like to know how future Fordham students feel about our beloved school, I have two things to share with you:

OS Speaks of Fordham (crosspost, with update)

Fordham is the third (or fourth, if you count Cornell) best school in the biggest legal market in the country, and yet it has an edge over many higher ranked schools. 87.9% of students have jobs lined up by graduation, and 98.5% are employed within 9 months. With over 87% reporting salary data, last year's average salary in private practice was over $146,000. The median was $160,000. This year's 25th to 75th percentile private practice salary range is $152,700 to $160,000. The top half of the class has an excellent shot at biglaw, and around 40% select this option, depending on the year. You will not find very many schools with numbers like this outside the T14.


"Depending on the year" is crucial here. In this economy, Fordham students are struggling where the New York market has been devastated by the collapse of the financial industry. While around the same time last year, 2L OCI had about 200 employers lined up to participate, this year we have less than half of that amount. Quoting an anonymous Fordham staffer, OCI will be "slim pickings" this year.

What about Public Interest? Fordham has a top ten dispute resolution program that I will be participating in, if admitted. The school has a social justice clinic, and an international human rights clinic. Fordham has an immigrants' rights clinic. You can study international sustainable development. The school's LRAP is quite generous, and combined with the new CCRA and Income Based Repayment, will make the debt load manageable.


PIRC is my favorite place at Fordham as the people there are genuinely nice and thoughtful as compared to the majority of the student body that only has BIGLAW on their minds (where most of them won't get BIGLAW). Dispute Resolution Society, which you mentioned, is quite competitive but they genuinely do well. There is no immigrants' clinic, but the Social Justice Clinic and International Human Rights Clinics do exist. Leitner is more competitive than Feerick, but they're BOTH very competitive and most students will not step foot in their offices. Fordham's LRAP, which you quote as generous, is anything but--to qualify, you need to be making less than ~$60k a year, which puts you out of the LRAP running for most federal positions. It is decent, however, if you end up working for city government or non-profits.

Fordham has an a cappella group, the Tortfeasors. I hear they are very good. They performed at the last admitted students' day, which I had to miss, since I was not admitted.


They're alright.

Now, for more thoughts. In general, Fordham is a fantastic school. Professors are great, the staff is very helpful and there are plenty of opportunities available to get involved. The building is very mediocre, but a new one will be completed in 2025, so if you're willing to defer until then, you might get to partake in this new building. I would be hesitant to recommend that anyone goes to Fordham in this economy, particularly if they are determined on working in corporate law. With a huge number of unemployed lawyers and deferred law students clogging up the pipes, so to speak, the schools outside the more prominent ones such as NYU and Columbia will be the hardest hit. Whereas normally top 3rd-quarter at Fordham would qualify for BIGLAW, chances are that this number will be closer to top 15% at this stage. Given the student body, highly competitive and highly miserable, getting top 15% will require a lot more work. My suggestion? Take year off, do Peace Corps, retake LSAT and go to NYU. HTH.


i'm hoping that is not true. that seems like a pretty steep drop-off. the class of '05 placed a third in the NLJ 250, and they would have done their OCI in 03, which wasn't really a boom economy. (it went up to like 40+ percent in the recent 'boom' years, if i'm not mistaken). so, assuming this ship rights itself, i don't see why incoming 0L's would figure they'd have to assume a number like 15%....

perhaps I'm missing something, or we're operating under a different set of assumptions.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby legends159 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:08 pm

He's talking out of his ass.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 11, 2009 1:09 pm

^^^ haha, that was my first reaction, but was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby jrock12 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:10 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
touche wrote:FLS student speaks of Fordham in a less sunshine & happy manner. :)

OperaSoprano wrote:Gone for one day, and a thread like this pops up! If anyone would like to know how future Fordham students feel about our beloved school, I have two things to share with you:

OS Speaks of Fordham (crosspost, with update)

Fordham is the third (or fourth, if you count Cornell) best school in the biggest legal market in the country, and yet it has an edge over many higher ranked schools. 87.9% of students have jobs lined up by graduation, and 98.5% are employed within 9 months. With over 87% reporting salary data, last year's average salary in private practice was over $146,000. The median was $160,000. This year's 25th to 75th percentile private practice salary range is $152,700 to $160,000. The top half of the class has an excellent shot at biglaw, and around 40% select this option, depending on the year. You will not find very many schools with numbers like this outside the T14.


"Depending on the year" is crucial here. In this economy, Fordham students are struggling where the New York market has been devastated by the collapse of the financial industry. While around the same time last year, 2L OCI had about 200 employers lined up to participate, this year we have less than half of that amount. Quoting an anonymous Fordham staffer, OCI will be "slim pickings" this year.

What about Public Interest? Fordham has a top ten dispute resolution program that I will be participating in, if admitted. The school has a social justice clinic, and an international human rights clinic. Fordham has an immigrants' rights clinic. You can study international sustainable development. The school's LRAP is quite generous, and combined with the new CCRA and Income Based Repayment, will make the debt load manageable.


PIRC is my favorite place at Fordham as the people there are genuinely nice and thoughtful as compared to the majority of the student body that only has BIGLAW on their minds (where most of them won't get BIGLAW). Dispute Resolution Society, which you mentioned, is quite competitive but they genuinely do well. There is no immigrants' clinic, but the Social Justice Clinic and International Human Rights Clinics do exist. Leitner is more competitive than Feerick, but they're BOTH very competitive and most students will not step foot in their offices. Fordham's LRAP, which you quote as generous, is anything but--to qualify, you need to be making less than ~$60k a year, which puts you out of the LRAP running for most federal positions. It is decent, however, if you end up working for city government or non-profits.

Fordham has an a cappella group, the Tortfeasors. I hear they are very good. They performed at the last admitted students' day, which I had to miss, since I was not admitted.


They're alright.

Now, for more thoughts. In general, Fordham is a fantastic school. Professors are great, the staff is very helpful and there are plenty of opportunities available to get involved. The building is very mediocre, but a new one will be completed in 2025, so if you're willing to defer until then, you might get to partake in this new building. I would be hesitant to recommend that anyone goes to Fordham in this economy, particularly if they are determined on working in corporate law. With a huge number of unemployed lawyers and deferred law students clogging up the pipes, so to speak, the schools outside the more prominent ones such as NYU and Columbia will be the hardest hit. Whereas normally top 3rd-quarter at Fordham would qualify for BIGLAW, chances are that this number will be closer to top 15% at this stage. Given the student body, highly competitive and highly miserable, getting top 15% will require a lot more work. My suggestion? Take year off, do Peace Corps, retake LSAT and go to NYU. HTH.


i'm hoping that is not true. that seems like a pretty steep drop-off. the class of '05 placed a third in the NLJ 250, and they would have done their OCI in 03, which wasn't really a boom economy. (it went up to like 40+ percent in the recent 'boom' years, if i'm not mistaken). so, assuming this ship rights itself, i don't see why incoming 0L's would figure they'd have to assume a number like 15%....

perhaps I'm missing something, or we're operating under a different set of assumptions.


+1...i'm not trying to be my normal overly-positive self, but i think thats a pretty big guesstimate

touche
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Postby touche » Mon May 11, 2009 1:15 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
i'm hoping that is not true. that seems like a pretty steep drop-off. the class of '05 placed a third in the NLJ 250, and they would have done their OCI in 03, which wasn't really a boom economy. (it went up to like 40+ percent in the recent 'boom' years, if i'm not mistaken). so, assuming this ship rights itself, i don't see why incoming 0L's would figure they'd have to assume a number like 15%....

perhaps I'm missing something, or we're operating under a different set of assumptions.


I don't know if you've heard this, but the economy is going through some tough times right now. Nothing huge, only the largest unemployment rate in quarter of a century. It's going to take some time for the ship to right itself, as you call it, but given the large number of deferred and laid off associates, it's probably a sound idea to figure out how long it will take for the ship to right itself. Where 0Ls are going to be applying for jobs a year down the road, do you really think that firms will be back to their normal hiring mode by then? Keep in mind that many of the '09ers aren't even going to be starting work until 2010 and in some cases 2011, and keep in mind that economic recessions last 2-3 years and we're still in year 1.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative and 8 guests