Columbia 1L Taking Questions (Class of '11) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
huckabees

Bronze

Re: Columbia 1L Taking Questions

Post by huckabees » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm

EdmundDantes wrote:Hoping some of you can weigh in on these sentiments ...

I've heard a constant parallel made between Columbia and Chicago as two schools that are great to be from, but pretty bad to be at in terms of quality of life. I've talked to a handful of students at Columbia and one of the constant themes was: "On the whole, you will not like the students here. You may make a few good friends, but people here suck. Still, you should come here because what matters is your career, and Columbia will do a lot for it."

Thoughts?
That's what one person said to me too. I think it really depends on how the student is approaching their education. It seems like the students who are coasting/at around median are really enjoying it and have a lot of friends. However, I can imagine not having the time or energy to make great friends if someone is focused on making Law Review and getting the best grades they possibly can.

I think the TLSers who are planning to attend Columbia seem pretty cool. :)

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm

I have a question for Columbia 1L's along those lines - I have yet to meet anyone or hear of anyone who is on the Law Review. Is this because they are so totally consumed with work? Does someone in Law Review seem unable to do anything else (i.e., clinics, interest groups, externships, etc.)?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Some of the admits I met were a little awkward, but most of the people I talked to seemed reasonably normal. I spoke with this 2L who seemed really cool. He said he and his friends go out three nights a week until finals, which was very reassuring.
huckabees wrote:
Me too. Ideally we're representative of the general population there.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:Some of the admits I met were a little awkward, but most of the people I talked to seemed reasonably normal. I spoke with this 2L who seemed really cool. He said he and his friends go out three nights a week until finals, which was very reassuring.
huckabees wrote:
I'm sure the other admits were just nervous. After all, it was not exactly a relaxed environment (meeting faculty, parents are around, guided tours, ugh. Why can't we just all go to a bar?). I am hoping I get good roommates - you guys better be cool! :evil:

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:32 pm

X58 wrote:so because of the housing using Columbia's network for Internet..that means theres a big no no on using torrent programs correct?
I had that concern too. I know the content owners can only catch you if you're uploading files, so I've turned off uploading, but I was wondering if there were any additional precautions I had to take when using the Columbia network/if I should just avoid using torrent programs entirely.

Edit: I swear guys, I'm still cool even though I use torrent programs :oops: .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:40 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
X58 wrote:so because of the housing using Columbia's network for Internet..that means theres a big no no on using torrent programs correct?
I had that concern too. I know the content owners can only catch you if you're uploading files, so I've turned off uploading, but I was wondering if there were any additional precautions I had to take when using the Columbia network/if I should just avoid using torrent programs entirely.

Edit: I swear guys, I'm still cool even though I use torrent programs :oops: .
I was under the impression that those who run the server can monitor your bandwidth (or something - the amount of internet you're using/downloading? I have no idea what it's called) and if it looks like you're DLing a lot, they can investigate. This happened to my ex at his school last year - and he definitely had his uploading turned off - but basically his school caught on and sent him a big fat scary warning which basically said that if he didn't stop, they'd send him a big fat scary lawsuit.

I would just avoid torrents entirely. I mean, it sucks, but then again we're going to law school, so.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:46 pm

ah, I didn't know they could/would do that. thanks.

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:36 pm

I guess it would be awkward to be taking an IP law class and be itching to get home to burn your new pirated videogame

Cartwright4

New

Post by Cartwright4 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 am

I know there was a situation last year where some people took Torts and some people took Con Law during first semester. From what you've heard, will Class of 2012 have only Torts first semester like the website seems to be implying?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 am

booyakasha45 wrote:Some of the admits I met were a little awkward, but most of the people I talked to seemed reasonably normal. I spoke with this 2L who seemed really cool. He said he and his friends go out three nights a week until finals, which was very reassuring.
huckabees wrote:
I talked to several admits at the 4/20 event. Everyone seemed varying degrees of cool and interesting. There wasn't anyone that I didn't like. Of course, I was the only person in my tour group who was actually set on Columbia. Everyone else was still weighing their options. So, maybe everyone I talked to and liked are going somewhere else thereby leaving only people I don't like.

Still, everyone on here that is going to CLS seems pretty down to earth. Do we have a group/thread on here for people who have already committed to CLS? I know there is a "CLS class of 2012" thread, but it seems filled with people still trying to decide between CLS and berk/harvard/nyu/etc.

I'll start a "100% committed to CLS 2012" thread on here if we all think it will be useful. We might as well get to know one another now. It never hurts going into a situation with several friends.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 am

I know there was a situation last year where some people took Torts and some people took Con Law during first semester. From what you've heard, will Class of 2012 have only Torts first semester like the website seems to be implying?
Yes, the 2009-2010 schedule has Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts in fall, and Crim Law, Con Law, Property, elective in spring, for all 1Ls.

(I think 2008-2009 was a bit of an exception. They had to schedule around at least one torts professor, possibly more, who was/were unavailable to teach it in fall.)

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:58 am

thrillhouse wrote:
huckabees wrote:
I talked to several admits at the 4/20 event. Everyone seemed varying degrees of cool and interesting. There wasn't anyone that I didn't like. Of course, I was the only person in my tour group who was actually set on Columbia. Everyone else was still weighing their options. So, maybe everyone I talked to and liked are going somewhere else thereby leaving only people I don't like.

Still, everyone on here that is going to CLS seems pretty down to earth. Do we have a group/thread on here for people who have already committed to CLS? I know there is a "CLS class of 2012" thread, but it seems filled with people still trying to decide between CLS and berk/harvard/nyu/etc.

I'll start a "100% committed to CLS 2012" thread on here if we all think it will be useful. We might as well get to know one another now. It never hurts going into a situation with several friends.
+1

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 am

have a question for Columbia 1L's along those lines - I have yet to meet anyone or hear of anyone who is on the Law Review. Is this because they are so totally consumed with work? Does someone in Law Review seem unable to do anything else (i.e., clinics, interest groups, externships, etc.)?
I know people on law review, and they're involved in clinics and externships too, but they're probably efficient enough to stop reading law school message boards once they're in law school. :lol:

edited since I don't know basic grammar :oops:
Last edited by chris0805 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 am

chris0805 wrote:
have a question for Columbia 1L's along those lines - I have yet to meet anyone or hear of anyone who is on the Law Review. Is this because they are so totally consumed with work? Does someone in Law Review seem unable to do anything else (i.e., clinics, interest groups, externships, etc.)?
I know people on law review, and they're involved in clinics and externships too, but they're probably efficient enough to stop reading law school message boards once in their law school. :lol:
8) Well, I'm glad that you can answer our questions - Thanks! That's reassuring.

EngineeringLawyer

New

Post by EngineeringLawyer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 am

Was it just me or did the women at the ASD seem much cooler than most of the guys? I met a lot of people (in March), and it seemed like the majorities of the ladies were much more personable, down to earth, intelligent, and better looking for that matter while a lot of the guys were super awkward. This coming from a female, FYI.

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 am

EngineeringLawyer wrote:Was it just me or did the women at the ASD seem much cooler than most of the guys? I met a lot of people (in March), and it seemed like the majorities of the ladies were much more personable, down to earth, intelligent, and better looking for that matter while a lot of the guys were super awkward. This coming from a female, FYI.
I somewhat noticed this, in that the guys seemed somewhat more bookish on average. Don't know why that is.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:57 am

huckabees wrote:
EngineeringLawyer wrote:Was it just me or did the women at the ASD seem much cooler than most of the guys? I met a lot of people (in March), and it seemed like the majorities of the ladies were much more personable, down to earth, intelligent, and better looking for that matter while a lot of the guys were super awkward. This coming from a female, FYI.
I somewhat noticed this, in that the guys seemed somewhat more bookish on average. Don't know why that is.
:cry:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 am

frank_the_tank wrote:
huckabees wrote:
:?:

I'm sure you were not one of them. :)

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Coming from another female, I talked to a bunch of cool guys. I didn't think any of the awkwardness I encountered was gender-specific.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 pm

huckabees wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
huckabees wrote:
:?:

I'm sure you were not one of them. :)
But, she didn't say some guys, she said all of them were like that. :cry:

EngineeringLawyer

New

Post by EngineeringLawyer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:23 pm

Exactly what I was talking about... but there were a few exceptions to that rule :)

Funny too because most of the current guys at CLS are kind of ridiculously good looking...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:26 pm

EngineeringLawyer wrote:Exactly what I was talking about... but there were a few exceptions to that rule :)

Funny too because most of the current guys at CLS are kind of ridiculously good looking...
Most of the guys I enjoyed talking to were actually 2Ls.

Maybe that means the guys at the ASD who were awkward will go to HYS.

Estella

New

Post by Estella » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 pm

huckabees wrote:
I actually felt like it was the opposite. The girls I talked to were all very nice, but most of them were actually more bookish while the guys I met seemed more down to earth.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Lem37 wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:
+1
On the strength of Lem's +1, I have started the 100% thread over in the "TLS class of 2012" forum. It's time we Columbians (what are we anyway?--is it the lions?) started to get to know one another.

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:01 pm

I have a question for current CLS students...
Is it possible to take language courses in your 2nd and 3rd years?
Do they charge you per credit?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”