Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:05 pm

JJim1919 wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:Im just curious about club sports or anything like that. I know UVA has the famous softball league where many law students play in. Are there are any casual sports leagues that some law students play in? I'd love to get involved in men (coed) softball or something like that if there was some time/something availible. Any thing like that at cornell?

Thanks.
Well, I think Cornell also has a softball team, and that they play UVA. Don't know much about it but I can PM you the name of someone who does. Are you coming to Cornell?
Yes, I am. You can PM me the name, thanks.

I know cornell has a softball league but so do all schools. Its usually for girls and its an udnergraduate sport. I was wondering if there was anything more graduate student oriented. Like a rec league or something.
Well, I just know that the law school has some kinda softball team and that both men and women are on it. I will PM you some contact info soon.

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:07 pm

kn6542 wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:Im just curious about club sports or anything like that. I know UVA has the famous softball league where many law students play in. Are there are any casual sports leagues that some law students play in? I'd love to get involved in men (coed) softball or something like that if there was some time/something availible. Any thing like that at cornell?

Thanks.
Well, I think Cornell also has a softball team, and that they play UVA. Don't know much about it but I can PM you the name of someone who does. Are you coming to Cornell?
Yes, I am. You can PM me the name, thanks.

I know cornell has a softball league but so do all schools. Its usually for girls and its an udnergraduate sport. I was wondering if there was anything more graduate student oriented. Like a rec league or something.
Well, I just know that the law school has some kinda softball team and that both men and women are on it. I will PM you some contact info soon.
That sounds cool, thanks alot. I appreciate it!

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:35 am

Does anyone know what the benefit of getting one of the international law specialization degrees is? I think Cornell has two of them, the Berger International Legal Studies Specialization and the combined J.D. Degree / LL.M. Degree in International and Comparative Law. I've read about both programs online, but I was wondering if I could get some insight from current students about the programs, including what they're useful for, and if they're worth it for someone interested in a career in international law.

Thanks.

Patches

New

Post by Patches » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Ditto on the previous question.

Also, when do classes typically start for 1Ls? I mean, generally what time in the mornings? I'm not a morning person at all so I figured I should start getting into the habit of waking up earlier...

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Patches wrote:Ditto on the previous question.

Also, when do classes typically start for 1Ls? I mean, generally what time in the mornings? I'm not a morning person at all so I figured I should start getting into the habit of waking up earlier...
I dont know anything about the J.D./LLM program. My thinking is that if you dont have any other international ties/links etc then an LLM may not help you that much. It is another 60K of debt though.

The specialization program I know little about, but really it only requires 5 hours more than the normal JD so it seems you coudl get it pretty easily and would be something nice to add to your resume. Again, I think connections are more important but the specialization is certainly a cheaper option.

Classes start btwn 8:45 and 10:10 depending on which section you get assigned to. My first semester I had 3 9 o'clocks and 2 10 o'clocks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:07 pm

LeahNic wrote:
Patches wrote:Ditto on the previous question.

I dont know anything about the J.D./LLM program. My thinking is that if you dont have any other international ties/links etc then an LLM may not help you that much. It is another 60K of debt though.

The specialization program I know little about, but really it only requires 5 hours more than the normal JD so it seems you coudl get it pretty easily and would be something nice to add to your resume. Again, I think connections are more important but the specialization is certainly a cheaper option.

Classes start btwn 8:45 and 10:10 depending on which section you get assigned to. My first semester I had 3 9 o'clocks and 2 10 o'clocks.
Why would it be 60k of extra debt? I got the feeling that you could finish the combined degree in 3 yrs. I realize that you have to do a study abroad program which will add debt, but I don't see how that adds up to 60k.

Thanks.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Hmm, perhaps we are talking about different programs. I have a couple friends doing some sort of dual JD/LLM and I know its 4 years for them. Like I said, I really know nothing about the LLM programs other than some ppl seem to think they are overrated and that others are doing it to get more international experience on their resume so ideally they can work elsewhere. Sorry that I am completely unhelpful.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:54 pm

you guys should try and send a PM to the user named "normalien"... he is doing a joint program... It is not an LLM, I don't think; I think it is like getting a JD here and the French equivalent in 4 years... he was on here last month so maybe check his posts while you wait for a response to your PM... tell him neskerdoo sent you...

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:19 am

This is a question for all of the rising 2Ls. How much money did you guys end up using on food over the course of the school year? I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget. Also, how expensive is the food in the cafeteria in the law school?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:46 am

jsun wrote:This is a question for all of the rising 2Ls. How much money did you guys end up using on food over the course of the school year? I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget. Also, how expensive is the food in the cafeteria in the law school?

Thanks.
How much money do you typically spend on food? I spent about that.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 am

jsun wrote:This is a question for all of the rising 2Ls. How much money did you guys end up using on food over the course of the school year? I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget. Also, how expensive is the food in the cafeteria in the law school?

Thanks.
Lunch in the cafeteria can be anyhwere from $4 to $9 depending on what you get and how much you like to eat. I usually spent around $6 when I ate there.

I'd say I spent very little on food first semester cause I didnt have a car. When we bought a car our food bill went up cause it was so much easier to go grab something than before.

If you bring your lunch to school then you will save a lot. I brought mine almost every day, so I just paid for groceries. Wegmans is the cool place to get groceries but Tops and Aldi are a lot cheaper.

I dont know that I could give a numbers estimate for food, but if you eat out every meal its gonna be $6-10 a meal for even the cheapest places most likely. Maybe nesker will chime in-- I'm pretty sure he spent more than most :-).

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Ok, that's good to know. I'm living in Hughes, and I won't have a car so I'll either be buying out a lot or bumming lots of rides off of people. Thanks for the information.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:07 am

I lived in Hughes and I ate out a lot. When I bought groceries, they were usually from Wilson Farms, which is a tiny overpriced convenient store about 75 feet from Hughes Hall. I just checked the chart on Quicken that tells me where I spent my money, I averaged more than $20/day on food while in law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:22 am

What do we do for parking permits? I just noticed the form is due today (yikes!). I will be brining a car, and living somewhere in college town. Where will I park my car? Will my building have a lot?

Also, I want to drive my car to hughes hall. How do I park in that lot? There doesnt seem to be an option for that lot. Do I need to pay for that, if so how do I do it?

Thanks.

markakis

New

Post by markakis » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 am

Hey, can anyone say anything about the size and comfort of the studio apartments in Maplewood, thurston court and Hasbrouck. Are they in nice vicinities? Are they generally good deals at $790 a month? Any one have any comments?
Thanks

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:50 am

JJim1919 wrote:What do we do for parking permits? I just noticed the form is due today (yikes!). I will be brining a car, and living somewhere in college town. Where will I park my car? Will my building have a lot?

Also, I want to drive my car to hughes hall. How do I park in that lot? There doesnt seem to be an option for that lot. Do I need to pay for that, if so how do I do it?

Thanks.
Parking is terrible. I'd advise not planning to drive to school.

That said, you are meant to register your vehicle with the university regardless of whether you buy a parking permit. You can do that online, and if you can't find the form, just email parking services.

http://www.transportation.cornell.edu/t ... usparking/

As for whether there is a lot at your apt in collegetown, I dunno. Are you asking whether a place you've already found has a lot, or whether apt buildings in collegetown usually have lots? It really just depends on that place and how much you're willing to pay. Parking is a serious commodity in collegetown. Typically your lease will indicate if parking is included in the rent. If not, you can try to find a parking space to rent somewhere near where you are living. I've seen these go anywhere from $50-$200 a mo. Or you could not live in collegetown.

I don't know specifically about the lot near hughes hall. There is no permit for that lot available to students. Check the parking services website, and there is a map with the lots for which you can buy permits. I think Nesker knows the name of the one that is closest to the law school (it's still a short hike - by the end of the year Nesker had mad calves from walking up that hill). And if you live in collegetown, you might just be better off walking/bussing/biking from home because I doubt that lot is all that much closer to the law school than your pad.

Generally, for parking close to the law school, if you really need to or of it's just for a short period, there is a lot across the street from Annabel Taylor Hall behind Gannett that has paid parking for a max of 2 hrs (but if you exceed the 2 hrs, they ticket quickly). Also, below the law school parking lot is a permit lot (not available to students) that has crappy policing. I've parked there often without getting a ticket (unlike like the lot right next to the law school.) There is also a non-University paid garage in collegetown pretty close to the law school.
Last edited by kn6542 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 am

sbrown83 wrote: I averaged more than $20/day on food while in law school.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:51 am

kn6542 wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:What do we do for parking permits? I just noticed the form is due today (yikes!). I will be brining a car, and living somewhere in college town. Where will I park my car? Will my building have a lot?

Thanks.
Parking is terrible. I'd advise not planning to drive to school.

That said, you are meant to register your vehicle with the university regardless of whether you buy a parking permit. You can do that online, and if you can't find the form, just email parking services.

http://www.transportation.cornell.edu/t ... usparking/

As for whether there is a lot at your apt in collegetown, I dunno. Are you asking whether a place you've already found has a lot, or whether apt buildings in collegetown usually have lots? It really just depends on that place and how much you're willing to pay. Parking is a serious commodity in collegetown. Typically your lease will indicate if parking is included in the rent. If not, you can try to find a parking space to rent somewhere near where you are living. I've seen these go anywhere from $50-$200 a mo. Or you could not live in collegetown.

I don't know specifically about the lot near hughes hall. There is no permit for that lot available to students. Check the parking services website, and there is a map with the lots for which you can buy permits. I think Nesker knows the name of the one that is closest to the law school (it's still a short hike - by the end of the year Nesker had mad calves from walking up that hill). And if you live in collegetown, you might just be better off walking/bussing/biking from home because I doubt that lot is all that much closer to the law school than your pad.

Generally, for parking close to the law school, if you really need to or of it's just for a short period, there is a lot across the street from Annabel Taylor Hall behind Gannett that has paid parking for a max of 2 hrs (but if you exceed the 2 hrs, they ticket quickly). Also, below the law school parking lot is a permit lot (not available to students) that has crappy policing. I've parked there often without getting a ticket (unlike like the lot right next to the law school.) There is also a non-University paid garage in collegetown pretty close to the law school.
Wow thanks for the help. You are awesome! So, the lot right next to hughes hall in the back there, is that NOT available for students to park in? I know its not on the list, but when I vistied there were plenty of cars in it. How can you park in there? - EDIT im talking about the "law school parking lot"

I have not picked out an apartment yet. I plan to do that next weekend. So how would I get to law school then? Assuming the apartments were not in immediate walking distance, I wouldnt drive? Would I take the bus?

Sorry for all the questions, but the parking permit form for cornell lots with the omni bus privledges is due today, and I am very confused.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 am

JJim1919 wrote: Wow thanks for the help. You are awesome! So, the lot right next to hughes hall in the back there, is that NOT available for students to park in? I know its not on the list, but when I vistied there were plenty of cars in it. How can you park in there? - EDIT im talking about the "law school parking lot"

I have not picked out an apartment yet. I plan to do that next weekend. So how would I get to law school then? Assuming the apartments were not in immediate walking distance, I wouldnt drive? Would I take the bus?

Sorry for all the questions, but the parking permit form for cornell lots with the omni bus privledges is due today, and I am very confused.
Well, it's just something you have to figure out based on where you end up living, how much you like to walk, whether you mind hauling books around, digging your car out of snow, etc. I dunno. The benefit of driving is that you have a car to haul your books around. But again, the nearest permit lot to the law school isn't that close, so you'd still need to carry them some distance (assuming you took them home and didn't read at school).

The Tcat bus is pretty good. It's likely that if you live far enough away that you cannot walk (or don't want to in the snow), that you can take the bus.
http://www.tcatbus.com/pages/system

I don't know much about the omni bus but I *think* it contracts with apt complexes, so if you use it would depend on whether you live somewhere where it is offered.

The permit form might be due today, but I'm sure if there is room in the lot you can get a permit later. I think I was looking into getting a permit as late as September, but decided not to. It's just that the lots fill up quickly. Maybe you should call the parking/transportation services office and ask them about the options.

You can't really park in that law school lot. First, it's almost always filled during weekdays, so it wouldn't be a reliable place to put your car anyway. Second, you can't get a permit for it. You are allowed to park there after 5 and on weekends, though.

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:01 pm

kn6542 wrote:
JJim1919 wrote: Wow thanks for the help. You are awesome! So, the lot right next to hughes hall in the back there, is that NOT available for students to park in? I know its not on the list, but when I vistied there were plenty of cars in it. How can you park in there? - EDIT im talking about the "law school parking lot"

Well, it's just something you have to figure out based on where you end up living, how much you like to walk, whether you mind hauling books around, digging your car out of snow, etc. I dunno. The benefit of driving is that you have a car to haul your books around. But again, the nearest permit lot to the law school isn't that close, so you'd still need to carry them some distance (assuming you took them home and didn't read at school).

The Tcat bus is pretty good. It's likely that if you live far enough away that you cannot walk (or don't want to in the snow), that you can take the bus.
http://www.tcatbus.com/pages/system

I don't know much about the omni bus but I *think* it contracts with apt complexes, so if you use it would depend on whether you live somewhere where it is offered.

The permit form might be due today, but I'm sure if there is room in the lot you can get a permit later. I think I was looking into getting a permit as late as September, but decided not to. It's just that the lots fill up quickly. Maybe you should call the parking/transportation services office and ask them about the options.

You can't really park in that law school lot. First, it's almost always filled during weekdays, so it wouldn't be a reliable place to put your car anyway. Second, you can't get a permit for it. You are allowed to park there after 5 and on weekends, though.
Thanks alot. Im going there next weekend to look at apartments. I didnt do the parking now.

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:28 am

How much did the following books cost at the book store?

Field, Kaplan, and Clermont's Civil Procedure Field 9 978-1-59941-145-3

Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Clermont 978-1-59941-654-0 West

Contract & Related Obligation Summers 5 978-0-31415-983-0

Basic Legal Research A. Sloan 4th 978-0-735576728

I'd like to know what the prices are for those books so that I can start looking for deals. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 am

jsun wrote:How much did the following books cost at the book store?

I'd like to know what the prices are for those books so that I can start looking for deals. Thanks.
:shock:

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:35 am

a whole lot more than fair market value

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:15 am

sbrown83 wrote:

a whole lot more than fair market value
sbrown, you should be hunting down your receipt from ELEVEN months ago so you can help this poor fellow out with more accurate info.

Patches

New

Post by Patches » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 am

Quick question regarding books: did you guys end up using all of the books listed as required by each class? I know in undergrad "required" sometimes meant "recommended"...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”