Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Lavitz wrote:Good luck to everyone participating in AJF tomorrow!

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 am

Not touching the AJF thread because there are certain things I think are there that I'd rather not see, just a legitimate question for upperclassmen: did you receive any callbacks from AJF after the week of AJF, and if so, how many?

Thanks.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:02 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Not touching the AJF thread because there are certain things I think are there that I'd rather not see, just a legitimate question for upperclassmen: did you receive any callbacks from AJF after the week of AJF, and if so, how many?

Thanks.

I didn't but have friends who did. Most CBs come within 24-48 hours, but some people got 2 or 3 CBs later than that.

I also know someone who struck out at AJF and got a CB with a firm they didn't screen with at AJF by reaching out to the firm post-AJF and asking for a screener. The firm didn't cover the person's travel expenses to go to the screener, but did cover CB expenses. That CB turned into an offer.

I know another person who reached out to firms that had not gotten back to him/her with a CB or a ding and expressed continued interest. That also turned into at least one CB.

Your chances of getting a CB aren't over until you get an official ding.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks!

When would be a reasonable time to reach out to those firms if you don't hear? For example there's one I really, really like from Wed that have sent out callbacks already but I haven't been dinged from. Should I wait a week? Two?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Looks like I'm the only nerd on here who checked his class schedule but did any other 3Ls get waitlisted for almost every class? Whats with this new interest in criminal law at cornell?

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:38 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Thanks!

When would be a reasonable time to reach out to those firms if you don't hear? For example there's one I really, really like from Wed that have sent out callbacks already but I haven't been dinged from. Should I wait a week? Two?

It's really a judgment call, but I doubt they would ding you for being too eager. I would say maybe a week. I know you don't want to look at the AJF thread, but if you just look at the very first post you'll see what firms have issued CBs and which ones have issued dings already. That might give you a better idea of where you stand.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm

FlanAl wrote:Looks like I'm the only nerd on here who checked his class schedule but did any other 3Ls get waitlisted for almost every class? Whats with this new interest in criminal law at cornell?

I have enough credits as of now, but I registered for a 6 credit clinic beforehand, which helps. I did, however, get waitlisted in 2 out of 3 litigation-oriented courses, which is annoying. I feel like a lot of the skills type of classes this semester are geared towards people interested in transactional :|

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:51 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Looks like I'm the only nerd on here who checked his class schedule but did any other 3Ls get waitlisted for almost every class? Whats with this new interest in criminal law at cornell?

I have enough credits as of now, but I registered for a 6 credit clinic beforehand, which helps. I did, however, get waitlisted in 2 out of 3 litigation-oriented courses, which is annoying. I feel like a lot of the skills type of classes this semester are geared towards people interested in transactional :|

I got everything but the seminar I really wanted, which I figured would happen.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

I got everything but the seminar I really wanted, which I figured would happen.

If you want Water Law, I'll totally drop it so you can have it :lol:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I honestly am interested in maybe taking two other classes and they are really pretty low on my list. I know that there was a huge issue with a couple of classes last year being too full does anyone know the best way to get myself into these classes? Should I just email the professors? Or should I email Dean Lukingbeal? I don''t want to be a whiner but there just aren't that many classes of interest for those who plan to practice criminal law. I really don't think I should be forced to take intro to chinese law or like ethics of business practice just to get enough credits to graduate.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 pm

FlanAl wrote:I honestly am interested in maybe taking two other classes and they are really pretty low on my list. I know that there was a huge issue with a couple of classes last year being too full does anyone know the best way to get myself into these classes? Should I just email the professors? Or should I email Dean Lukingbeal? I don''t want to be a whiner but there just aren't that many classes of interest for those who plan to practice criminal law. I really don't think I should be forced to take intro to chinese law or like ethics of business practice just to get enough credits to graduate.

Can you PM me what crim classes these are? I must have missed them and am just curious.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:32 pm

FlanAl wrote:I honestly am interested in maybe taking two other classes and they are really pretty low on my list. I know that there was a huge issue with a couple of classes last year being too full does anyone know the best way to get myself into these classes? Should I just email the professors? Or should I email Dean Lukingbeal? I don''t want to be a whiner but there just aren't that many classes of interest for those who plan to practice criminal law. I really don't think I should be forced to take intro to chinese law or like ethics of business practice just to get enough credits to graduate.

I've had this issue before and the registrar literally doesn't let professors take people off the wait list (the professor tried to get me in and the registrar told him he couldn't do anything about it). Last semester I went to the classes I wanted anyway, let the professors know I was interested, and stayed on the waitlist until I got in on the last day of add/drop. Dean Lukingbeal would probably be the only person who could get you off the waitlist if you're still not the classes you want by the final day of add/drop. I've never gone to her with this issue, but it might work if you make it clear that you need the classes in order to advance your career.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I've had this issue before and the registrar literally doesn't let professors take people off the wait list (the professor tried to get me in and the registrar told him he couldn't do anything about it). Last semester I went to the classes I wanted anyway, let the professors know I was interested, and stayed on the waitlist until I got in on the last day of add/drop. Dean Lukingbeal would probably be the only person who could get you off the waitlist if you're still not the classes you want by the final day of add/drop. I've never gone to her with this issue, but it might work if you make it clear that you need the classes in order to advance your career.

IIRC, she pushed some people into Stout's seminar.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

IIRC, she pushed some people into Stout's seminar.

thanks for the info guys

igotolawschool

Postby igotolawschool » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:59 am

Hi all,

Sorry if my questions are repeats. I've skimmed through the first 77 pages of this thread, but my eyes are glazing over at this point...

I love working in libraries. Anyone ever stray from the law library to other ones on campus? Any recommendations for quiet, relatively uncrowded places to buckle down at the law school or elsewhere on campus?

I'm also looking for an overview of the law review write on competition (how much time students are given, how many students usually participate, how many students drop out of the competition/don't finish, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:04 pm

igotolawschool wrote:Hi all,

Sorry if my questions are repeats. I've skimmed through the first 77 pages of this thread, but my eyes are glazing over at this point...

I love working in libraries. Anyone ever stray from the law library to other ones on campus? Any recommendations for quiet, relatively uncrowded places to buckle down at the law school or elsewhere on campus?

I'm also looking for an overview of the law review write on competition (how much time students are given, how many students usually participate, how many students drop out of the competition/don't finish, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of libraries up the hill from the law school (Uris/Olin). Not sure if we're allowed into the engineering library, but you could always try. The fourth floor in MTH is also pretty quiet. It's lovely, dark, and deep (and a certain girl from Syracuse? once plied her craft there).

The write on is at the end of the year, right after finals. They'll give you a giant packet full of the materials that you'll probably either collect right before your last final, or right after, and it's like a punch to the face because all you want to do is celebrate being done with finals. You get 10 days, and most of your class (maybe 20? won't) will participate. Idk how many drop out or don't finish, but I'm sure it varies per year.

igotolawschool

Postby igotolawschool » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:13 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of libraries up the hill from the law school (Uris/Olin). Not sure if we're allowed into the engineering library, but you could always try. The fourth floor in MTH is also pretty quiet. It's lovely, dark, and deep (and a certain girl from Syracuse? once plied her craft there).

The write on is at the end of the year, right after finals. They'll give you a giant packet full of the materials that you'll probably either collect right before your last final, or right after, and it's like a punch to the face because all you want to do is celebrate being done with finals. You get 10 days, and most of your class (maybe 20? won't) will participate. Idk how many drop out or don't finish, but I'm sure it varies per year.

I might break out a clorox wipe before I sit anywhere on MTH's 4th floor... Thanks for the information! The write on sounds terrifying - "punch in face" is the best way I've heard it described yet.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

The main liberal arts library is decent but undergrads are much louder so it can be hard to work. The 4th floor or 2nd floor are nice places to work.

CocoNutties

Postby CocoNutties » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 am

The AD White library is worth a visit. It is actually inside the Uris library. Quiet and beautiful.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:53 pm

So I ended up being dead last for Whitehead's biz orgs.....chances? I think I am in the thirties

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm

msblaw89 wrote:So I ended up being dead last for Whitehead's biz orgs.....chances? I think I am in the thirties

You're chances are good. Waitlists move quite a bit. I've been listed in the 20s for a 16 person seminar before and gotten in.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm

msblaw89 wrote:So I ended up being dead last for Whitehead's biz orgs.....chances? I think I am in the thirties

You're chances are good. Waitlists move quite a bit. I've been listed in the 20s for a 16 person seminar before and gotten in.

I don't know if people would drop Whitehead biz orgs though. Some people I know signed up for both Whitehead and Hockett to ensure they get at least one, but their top choice is Whitehead.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:43 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:

I don't know if people would drop Whitehead biz orgs though. Some people I know signed up for both Whitehead and Hockett to ensure they get at least one, but their top choice is Whitehead.

With that said, can't hurt to stay on it and try! You can drop until September 4 anyway. :)

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks in advance.

I know this isn't a library, and I second visiting AD White Library, but I also liked switching up study locations, and there are some cool cafes/coffee shops in the area that can be relatively quiet at times. I spent a lot of time at Stellas in Collegetown, which is overpriced and crowded sometimes but rarely late on weeknight evenings and it closes at 1. You have to pay for Internet so I was always way more productive there when working on lawyering assignments/outlining than anywhere on campus.

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:37 am

Hey guys, I'm making a last minute decision on where to attend. Is anyone from here that's a current student trying to go back to California after they graduate? I'd love to talk!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”