Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 pm

PinkCow wrote:
orderofthings wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
orderofthings wrote:Surprised we got journal decisions 24 hours after bidding closed...you think they would have extended the bid deadline being that close to an announcement. Glad I went with a relatively conservative bid strategy after all


JLPP?


haha nah just not LR

Any luck on your end?


Yeah I got LR. 1/3 surprised 1/3 thrilled 1/3 mourning my 2L year


I'll be right with you through it. Let's just keep the office stocked with top shelf stuff.

clone22 wrote:Dude, this isn't siberia.

And you would know.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:21 pm

clone22 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:No laughing..... I've lived in a no snowmclimate my entire life. Do you wear ski pants in the winter? Or what bottoms should I wear?


Dude, this isn't siberia. We had snow on the ground maybe a cumulative of 10 days this year, at no point too heavy. When it snowed, the snow got plowed really quickly. Jeans work just fine.

To the attire question: some people dressed fancy and were well groomed year round. Some looked like they didn't give a shit. Your 1L year, only grades matter. Your grades will not be affected by what you wear. Act accordingly.

pinkcow: aren't you doing H anyway? :)



I don't know man. I'm so torn I really don't know what to do. Waiting to see how much Cornell wants me to stay.
Also, for reference, I wore gym shorts/T-shirt to about half of my classes. I'm not saying I looked good...

ajaxconstructions
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:33 pm

PinkCow wrote:
orderofthings wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
orderofthings wrote:Surprised we got journal decisions 24 hours after bidding closed...you think they would have extended the bid deadline being that close to an announcement. Glad I went with a relatively conservative bid strategy after all


JLPP?


haha nah just not LR

Any luck on your end?


Yeah I got LR. 1/3 surprised 1/3 thrilled 1/3 mourning my 2L year


+1 but maybe I will still get out of here.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Congrats to those who made it on LR or a journal

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm

clone22 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:No laughing..... I've lived in a no snowmclimate my entire life. Do you wear ski pants in the winter? Or what bottoms should I wear?


Dude, this isn't siberia. We had snow on the ground maybe a cumulative of 10 days this year, at no point too heavy. When it snowed, the snow got plowed really quickly. Jeans work just fine.

To the attire question: some people dressed fancy and were well groomed year round. Some looked like they didn't give a shit. Your 1L year, only grades matter. Your grades will not be affected by what you wear. Act accordingly.

pinkcow: aren't you doing H anyway? :)

It'll be Siberia to me... In a climate where winter's avg low is high 50's low 60's... And I think that's cold

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 pm

i guess its time to pick classes. any 3L's or graduates that still come on here want to give their thoughts regarding taking tax credit/no credit? I think that this is what I will do, but if the curve is super mellow or something I'd love to know! thanks!

transfer2014
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby transfer2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Also: Any 3Ls have opinions on Public International Law with Ohlin, Remedies in Litigation with Sherwin or Fed. Courts with Dorf? I have to pick one of those 3...


Only a 2L here, but I'm going for remedies in litigation. You couldn't pay me enough to take another class with Ohlin after crim law and I don't want to screw up clerkship chances by doing badly in Fed Courts.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:36 am

transfer2014 wrote:
Also: Any 3Ls have opinions on Public International Law with Ohlin, Remedies in Litigation with Sherwin or Fed. Courts with Dorf? I have to pick one of those 3...


Only a 2L here, but I'm going for remedies in litigation. You couldn't pay me enough to take another class with Ohlin after crim law and I don't want to screw up clerkship chances by doing badly in Fed Courts.


:shock: I believe that class is taught by Sherwin. She is very nice, but I recommend you read the reviews on CLSevals.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 am

PinkCow wrote:
transfer2014 wrote:
Also: Any 3Ls have opinions on Public International Law with Ohlin, Remedies in Litigation with Sherwin or Fed. Courts with Dorf? I have to pick one of those 3...


Only a 2L here, but I'm going for remedies in litigation. You couldn't pay me enough to take another class with Ohlin after crim law and I don't want to screw up clerkship chances by doing badly in Fed Courts.


:shock: I believe that class is taught by Sherwin. She is very nice, but I recommend you read the reviews on CLSevals.


Seriously what's with all these crazy course lists.

Reach
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Reach » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 pm

.
Last edited by Reach on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Asleep » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 pm

.
Last edited by Asleep on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 am

Reach wrote:I guess I'll just post this everywhere I can:

If anyone is looking for housing or knows of anyone looking for housing I have a full-year studio all lined up that is about a 3 (maybe 4 for slow walkers) minute walk to the law school (not uphill at all...that's important). Your studio is next door to other studios that are inhabited by Cornell law students (which is why I am trying to only give mine away to a Cornell law student...it's very quiet and great for doing work).

Anyway, I loved it last year. If you have any questions PM me, and if you can get this out to any transfers or whatever, please do that too.

Thanks.


I can vouch this is an awesome location.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 pm

did tuition go up by 4 grand or am I just that bad at math?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:23 am

FlanAl wrote:did tuition go up by 4 grand or am I just that bad at math?


I don't know, I have trouble keeping track of my debt after I added the 6th digit.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:46 am

Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 am

msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.


Gyms lol. I remember when I was healthy.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.


Gyms lol. I remember when I was healthy.


Before that happens, I will at least buy a treadmill for my apartment. Helps with stress

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.


Gyms lol. I remember when I was healthy.


Before that happens, I will at least buy a treadmill for my apartment. Helps with stress


Lol buying things. I remember when I had money.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:22 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.


Gyms lol. I remember when I was healthy.


Before that happens, I will at least buy a treadmill for my apartment. Helps with stress


Lol buying things. I remember when I had money.


Can't wait to meet you

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 am

msblaw89 wrote:
Can't wait to meet you


Not sure if sarcasm. :lol:

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Can't wait to meet you


Not sure if sarcasm. :lol:


70% interested in meeting you, 30% loathing it

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 am

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Can't wait to meet you


Not sure if sarcasm. :lol:


70% interested in meeting you, 30% loathing it


I'm much less of a troll in person

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:42 am

msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.



Island is hella expensive. You're really not going to find a better value than buying a Cornell gym membership. The gyms here are annoyingly small, but not bad if you go on an off hour.

Then again, if you're rolling in dough, I'd recommend Island.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Can't wait to meet you


Not sure if sarcasm. :lol:


70% interested in meeting you, 30% loathing it


I'm much less of a troll in person



And incorrect

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 am

PinkCow wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have any opinions or know price points for the following gyms:

1.Finger Lakes Fitness
2. Ultimate Athletics
3. Island Health Fitness
4. City Health Club

Finger Lakes Fitness and City Health Club are probably a 2 minute walk (maybe less) from my apartment, so the proximity would be nice.



Island is hella expensive. You're really not going to find a better value than buying a Cornell gym membership. The gyms here are annoyingly small, but not bad if you go on an off hour.

Then again, if you're rolling in dough, I'd recommend Island.


Thanks...any thoughts on Finger Lakes or City Health?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests