Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LeahNic

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by LeahNic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm

boss wrote:Anyone have an answer about OCI? ._. <<I'm scurred.
I don't think we really know. Career services hasn't sent out any sort of official update letting us know how OCI went. It's difficult to know without some sort of update, because people have been less likely to talk about it freely knowing the way the legal job market is.

I couldn't give you any sort of numbers that would be based on any sort of data at all, and an estimate would really just be a wild guess. Pretty much anything I know would be anecdotal. Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe other 2Ls know more, but not that I have heard of.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:52 pm

:idea:
Last edited by kn6542 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:57 pm

LeahNic wrote:
I don't think we really know. Career services hasn't sent out any sort of official update letting us know how OCI went. It's difficult to know without some sort of update, because people have been less likely to talk about it freely knowing the way the legal job market is.

I couldn't give you any sort of numbers that would be based on any sort of data at all, and an estimate would really just be a wild guess. Pretty much anything I know would be anecdotal. Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe other 2Ls know more, but not that I have heard of.
I've heard 40% being thrown around as the percentage of people who got summer associate offers through OCI. I know at least one person who got a summer associate offer through personal outreach. That said, it is, frankly, a shit-show, and it will be for the foreseeable future.

The truth is out--law firms view law students as cogs, and when in some short-sighted view of protecting firm profit margins it becomes sub-optimal for them to take us on, they don't. It might get better by the time you undergo OCI, but be aware, you are literally a piece of meat to them, good only for what they can get out of you. You are not a person to biglaw.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:37 pm

fsohn wrote:
LeahNic wrote:

I've heard 40% being thrown around as the percentage of people who got summer associate offers through OCI. I know at least one person who got a summer associate offer through personal outreach. That said, it is, frankly, a shit-show, and it will be for the foreseeable future.

The truth is out--law firms view law students as cogs, and when in some short-sighted view of protecting firm profit margins it becomes sub-optimal for them to take us on, they don't. It might get better by the time you undergo OCI, but be aware, you are literally a piece of meat to them, good only for what they can get out of you. You are not a person to biglaw.
This. You might want to think hard about not going to law school.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 pm

you ppl are so depressing. almost depressing as the fact that i have spent 30 minutes on 1pg of civ pro, because i keep imagining the questions Holden-Smith might ask me, and read it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:33 pm

como wrote:
fsohn wrote:
LeahNic wrote:

This. You might want to think hard about not going to law school.
Or just not have unrealistic fantasies about what you're getting into.
I'm not sure why anyone would think they are *not* a piece of meat to biglaw. I mean, they pay you as much as they do for the privilege of treating you like their bitch. There's nothing new or surprising about that.

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

kn6542 wrote:
como wrote: This. You might want to think hard about not going to law school.
I'm not sure why anyone would think they are *not* a piece of meat to biglaw. I mean, they pay you as much as they do for the privilege of treating you like their bitch. There's nothing new or surprising about that.
Certainly not. I'm just saying, your odds of getting treated like a bitch are substantially shitty right now.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 am

como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Certainly not. I'm just saying, your odds of getting treated like a bitch are substantially shitty right now.
I think the only thing that would surprise me about biglaw right now would be actually getting a job...

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
I think the only thing that would surprise me about biglaw right now would be actually getting a job...
Hah.. +1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:15 pm

sheltron5000 wrote: I think the only thing that would surprise me about biglaw right now would be actually getting a job...
and that's why we attend the public interest symposium.

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:34 pm

favorite professors?

matt386

New

Post by matt386 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:39 pm

sjsteece wrote:favorite professors?
Last semester, Rossi and Dorf, who are two of the best I've ever had.

Not really sure yet this semester after one week, but I'm pretty high on Clermont.

como

Silver

Post by como » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm

They are all awesome. Prepare to get your mind worked.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

matt386

New

Post by matt386 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:17 pm

como wrote:
+1 to that too

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 pm

matt386 wrote:
como wrote:
+1 to that too
i respectfully dissent.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:37 pm

paraducks wrote:
matt386 wrote:
como wrote:
+1 to that too
i respectfully dissent.

who sucks?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:19 pm

monkey
Last edited by kn6542 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:16 pm

paraducks wrote:
matt386 wrote:
como wrote:
+1 to that too
i respectfully dissent.

Perhaps the objection is to "get[ting ] your mind worked." Not too much of that happens.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 pm

i have yet to have a professor that hasn't "worked my mind" or that has sucked..
but i have heard complaints..

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 pm

oh, fsohn is just bitter and jaded... don't mind our resident curmudgeon

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I take the title of curmudgeon with pride.

I'll also say that lawyers and law students don't really think differently from other people--they just like to believe they do, so as to cling helplessly to some once-meaningful social role. If you can think, you can be a lawyer--that's the simple truth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Clearly you've never met Kevin from the paper chase. :wink:

Please note: horror stories about professor/classes are also welcome. Mess with our 0L minds a little more.

como

Silver

Post by como » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm

sjsteece wrote:Clearly you've never met Kevin from the paper chase. :wink:

Please note: horror stories about professor/classes are also welcome. Mess with our 0L minds a little more.
Had a certain professor ask someone the facts of a case. Student 1 said 'pass'. He moved to the person behind him. Student 2 said 'I didn't really understand this case...' Professor replied 'I suggest you don't go into antitrust law', then proceeded to flip hastily through about 20 slides in all of 90 seconds and tell us class was over, unless we had any questions.

We all did.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 pm

I think the worst I've had so far are professors who are a little too nice to really use the socratic effectively.

One of my favorites told jokes about sodomizing parrots...
como wrote:
sjsteece wrote:Clearly you've never met Kevin from the paper chase. :wink:

Had a certain professor ask someone the facts of a case. Student 1 said 'pass'. He moved to the person behind him. Student 2 said 'I didn't really understand this case...' Professor replied 'I suggest you don't go into antitrust law', then proceeded to flip hastily through about 20 slides in all of 90 seconds and tell us class was over, unless we had any questions.

We all did.
Wasn't something like 90% of that final based on that one day too? (This is, by enormous leaps and bounds, the worst behavior I've heard of from a professor here).

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:47 pm

IHeartIthaca wrote:Seems like these kinds of threads are popular. Fire away :)

Obviously, I don't know much about law school yet, and can't tell you how to succeed, but I'll tell you what I can.
Cornell undergrad here with 3.8 GPA, History major. I would love to get into cornell law, even though I'm sick of the freezing weather. I wonder if they give preference to cornell undergrads.
Just curious

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”