Is it Important to Demonstrate Prior Interest in Law in Undergrad? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
catalina53

New

Is it Important to Demonstrate Prior Interest in Law in Undergrad?

Post by catalina53 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:38 am

Hi all,

I am interested in attending law school and practicing environmental law. However, I am extremely confused on whether I should be showing demonstrated interest in law-related extracurriculars (legal internship, joining pre-law clubs, publishing in undergrad law review, etc.) in order to increase my chance of admission? It's a balance because currently I'm interested in learning as much in sustainable development policy rn but I dunno if doing law-related extracurriculars in law in my resume is important or not.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Is it Important to Demonstrate Prior Interest in Law in Undergrad?

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:21 am

Not important, just make a good personal statement. A lot of folks are math or english majors and apply to law school. Don't sweat it.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Is it Important to Demonstrate Prior Interest in Law in Undergrad?

Post by talons2250 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:29 pm

Doing law related activities is great to expose you to what law entails and to learn more about whether going to law school would in fact be right for you. But having law related activities on your resume will not materially improve your chances of getting admitted anywhere. Law school admissions is, for the most part, all about your LSAT score and UGPA. So if you want to be a competitive law school applicant, then focus on those two things.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”