OL interested in regulatory practice area Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jsmooth6

New

OL interested in regulatory practice area

Post by jsmooth6 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi, I am a 0L currently working as a paralegal at a v50 law firm in New York headed to one of CCN. I am interested in working in a financial regulatory practice area either at a firm (would much prefer D.C. to any other market) or a regulatory agency.

Is it worth trying to connect with regulatory associates/partners at my current firm to have a few resume bullets in that area?

What is the best way I can set myself up during law school for working in the regulatory space after graduation (besides the obvious networking with alum)?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: OL interested in regulatory practice area

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 pm

jsmooth6 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:30 pm
Is it worth trying to connect with regulatory associates/partners at my current firm to have a few resume bullets in that area?
Probably too late to bother with this. Focus on doing really well in 1L classes for now, as that's the most important thing (especially since D.C. is so grades-sensitive). Intern at the SEC or something next summer if you can.

jsmooth6

New

Post by jsmooth6 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 pm
jsmooth6 wrote:
Probably too late to bother with this. Focus on doing really well in 1L classes for now, as that's the most important thing (especially since D.C. is so grades-sensitive). Intern at the SEC or something next summer if you can.
To clarify, deferred a year so starting in Fall 2021.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:17 am

Absolutely worth trying to connect. It's not gonna be make or break for getting a job in the field (most OCI stuff is pretty general), but it will give you a good reason why you are interested in the particular practice group at certain firms. Most 1Ls have no idea, and just say they want to do white collar crime or M&A bc it sounds sexy, but interviewers can smell it. If you have a compelling story and real experience in the area, it'll work to your advantage.

DC is competitive too so grades will prob matter more, but this could help with DC firms w/ strong regulatory groups where your peers are all gonna say they just want to do congressional investigations, etc. etc.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:31 am

jsmooth6 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 am
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 pm
jsmooth6 wrote:
To clarify, deferred a year so starting in Fall 2021.
That's different! If you can get more involvement in regulatory matters over the next year then that would be helpful, if only to whet your own interests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”