How is it Being a Part Time Student?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
VPplaya

New

How is it Being a Part Time Student?

Postby VPplaya » Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Everyone-

I recently found out that even though I can defer my refinanced student loans, they still want me to pay the interest each month (~$600). I wanted to quit my job and go full time but more than likely I will need to go part time in order to pay this fee. Can anyone here give a general overview of what it is like being a part time student? I am really afraid that I will not be able to handle work and school, but luckily my boss is very flexible and understanding and I can have almost any schedule (even part time) that I want.

thriller1122

Bronze

Re: How is it Being a Part Time Student?

Postby thriller1122 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Im getting ready to start my 3E year and it can be tough. If you aren't very good at time management you are going to have a tough time. Other than that, it's very workable. Obviously you are taking less classes, so if you can limited your classes to 10 credits a semester you should be in good shape. That will likely require summers though, which is less than ideal.

pfunkera

New

Re: How is it Being a Part Time Student?

Postby pfunkera » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 am

I worked full time and finished in 3.5 years. I loaded up on classes in the summer and just made it work somehow. My job is somewhat flexible so I was able to stack work for slower times at school and vice versa. The majority of my work is done through emails and online so I could work remotely from the law school in between classes or even during class if I had to. The only time it became an issue was when I was prepping for the bar exam.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?