Question for Current Students at T14

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tartan2016

Question for Current Students at T14

Postby tartan2016 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

For you current students, is there any undergraduatr course which you feel helped you the most in law school? Not in terms of substantive material but in the problem solving approach/writing skill needed?

UVA2B

Re: Question for Current Students at T14

Postby UVA2B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Short answer...no.

Slightly longer answer: any class that makes you read a lot and synthesize your argument/thesis into a coherent and persuasive narrative is helpful in an abstract sense, but even this type of class is doing very different reading/writing than anything you're doing in law school.

Pick classes that interest you and that will allow a good GPA. That's it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Can Georgetown students answer this question?

What about recent grads from UT?

I think a speed typing class would probably be the most helpful you can take. The more word vomit you can vomit out on racehorse exams, the better.

Aside from that, probably anything where you read boring stuff closely would be helpful. I would say writing classes might be helpful but not really, usually law profs don't care about spelling/grammar.

Applesauce11

Postby Applesauce11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Honestly I wish I had taken more economics/finance courses- I took two in undergrad and I feel behind a lot of my classmates. But that's mainly for certain professors who are into that stuff on exams and for employment purposes.

For law school classes in general I would take a lot of reading-heavy classes with a lot of dry material.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”