Is this Unconstitutional? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
brandonroberts640

New

Is this Unconstitutional?

Post by brandonroberts640 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:22 am

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Case in Texas. A student in college accepted a coaching/teaching job at a high school. Coach was still in college, no teacher credentials.
2007 while still in college coach has a relationship with 18 year old student. Comes to light in 2010.The girl didn't want anything to happen to coach.Bond gets set at $100,000 then upped to $250,000 when coach goes to bail out. State put restraining order between the two. Coach Gets sentenced 12 years in prison and $5,000 fine.
I don't understand where the crime is if there isn't a victim?
Just tring to right a wrong.
Please share

Teoeo

Silver

Re: Is this Unconstitutional?

Post by Teoeo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:37 am

It is pretty clear you are leaving out facts. The story you gave us, without more, makes no sense. In any event, this isn't the right place to come for if you are looking for legal advice.

brandonroberts640

New

Post by brandonroberts640 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:19 am

What do you mean by leaving information out. This statement I made is the honest to god truth.
Where can one go in order to further investigate this legal matter?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:21 am

brandonroberts640 wrote:What do you mean by leaving information out. This statement I made is the honest to god truth.
Where can one go in order to further investigate this legal matter?
"Leaving information out" doesn't mean "not telling the truth". Also, try an attorney licensed to practice in the state.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:40 am

I believe Texas law criminalizes a relationship between a student and a teacher, regardless of age. Go ask an attorney.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:41 am

Information you've left out = what the actual charge(s) was/were, for one thing.

But it doesn't matter because you can't ask for legal advice here.

(Though if anyone cares you can find the case in question pretty easily via google and it turns out that 1) it's what kalvano mentioned and 2) the person convicted originally received deferred adjudication/community service, and didn't actually get the 12 year sentence until he violated the terms of his adjudication by driving drunk.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”